Wii U pricing is “in a good spot,” says Nintendo executive

Wednesday, 14th November 2012 17:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Pricing for Wii U is “in a good spot,” according to NoA VP of sales and marketing Scott Moffitt, and the Wii U Deluxe set reaching pre-order caps in US stores is proof.

Speaking with GI International, Moffitt said the $349 Deluxe Set’s popularity with consumers is “phenomenal.”

“All I can say is that the response has been phenomenal and we’re getting, especially in the higher priced deluxe set, that one’s selling out incredibly quickly,” he said. “That seems to indicate that the pricing’s in a good spot and the proof is in the consumer response.

“Certainly we’ve seen brisk pre-sales and that the phone calls have been coming into our headquarters for quite a while now asking for more and so we do expect high demand. But I can tell you this – on opening week we will have more systems on hand for the Wii U than we did for the launch of Wii. And, second, our replenishments will be more frequent this holiday time than during the Wii launch.”

Moffitt added that it’s “impossible to exactly predict demand,” but consumers shouldn’t worry and very little patience will be required during the wait on replenishment.

Wii U launches in the US on November 18 and in Europe on November 30.

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

He’s bluffing

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lounds

£50-56 a game are you fucking kidding me? FUCK NINTENDO.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

The only people who think otherwise are people who weren’t planning on buying the system anyways. Like the people above. The pricing is fine. people were just buying PS3′s for $300. A Brand new system for $300 with a Premium set for $350 is cool. I got mine pre-ordered.

Looking forward to playing ZombiU, Nintendo Land, and Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor’s Edge.

#3 1 year ago
  4. naffgeek

@2 have to agree with you, they don’t even have the next-gen excuse that companies usually trott out when they release a new console.

Get a grip nintendo

(I am talking game price here, not so much the console)

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lounds

yeah same, I don’t have a problem with the pricing of the console.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

$300 is the correct entry point for a new console. I don’t have a problem with that either.

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

@5 Me neither, I have a problem with Nintendo as a whole LOL

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

What are those prices in USD Lounds?

I know I was shocked to see that Walmart, Gamestop, and a few other online retailers had WiiU games priced at 100usd. But then the info started rolling out and the prices started falling inline with Xbox360 and PS3 games. Now all games, except Skylanders and special eds are 60usd. Some are even cheaper then that. It is important to note that in the states, we mostly pay the MSRP(Manufacter sugested retail price), no grocerie store loss leaders here.

But their(WiiU) game prices are by and large the same as anyone elses.

As for the price of the system, I was hoping for a lower price. But with inflation and a strong JPN Yen, I think the price is about as low as they can go at this point.

Interestingly enough, what are you folks expecting MS and Sony to sell their launch systems for?

I am expecting MS to be 300 with a 2 year commit to xblg at 15usd/month(this is the same contract deal they now offer with a 100usd xb360)(In NA). I am expecting Multi skus for both systems, and a noncontract attached system to run 450usd to 650usd. Depending on the skus.

I expect game prices to go up an average of 10usd to a MSRP of 70usd.

Time will tell what will happen.

The only way I see my numbers being wrong is if Nintendo WiiU sell extremly strong and starts to gain 3rd party support and those 3rd party games see strong sales. In other words if MS and Sony feel threatend by WiiU(which will surly see a price cut before the new MS/Sony systems launch), then MS/Sony may try VERY hard to keep pricing as low as possible.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OrbitMonkey

@2, The R.R.P I take it? Sounds the same as every 360/PS3 game. Every outlet will sell them with a chunk knocked off.

#9 1 year ago
  10. _LarZen_

The price is as expected in the launch window. It will probably drop a litte in 6-8 months.

I suspect the moaners about price is mostly children,poor people,fanboys or the worst..adults with no sence of economics.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lounds

No this was no RRP, this was in shops and magazines.

£56 – $88 a game!!!

Bare in mind we have a 20% tax on goods.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lounds

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lounds

Average price for games was £40, but to be honest it’s been £40 since PS2.

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

Street Fighter 2 on the SNES launched for £64.99 in the UK…

Honestly, the price of consoles and games has never been better.

Just wait a week or so, that can almost shave half off the price.

£300 for a new console on launch is fine IMO

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Thanks for the info Lounds, sometimes I have a hard time keeping the regions seperate. I hear that Ausie has super inflated prices too. And I know Manu pays a lot for his games too. I try and remember that when I feel they are getting too high here.

And really you hit it on the head too, game prices haven’t gone up too much over the years. Esp when you consider inflation valuations. 60usd is about as much as I would want to pay tbh. The problem for me is that the game and the DLC for many of the games I play like NCAA Football, BF3, etc push the games over all price to 110usd or more.

#15 1 year ago
  16. freedoms_stain

I probably wouldn’t use Game or an Activision title as a reliable source on pricing. Amazon have BLOPS2 on WiiU for £41.99, the most expensive game Amazon have is AC3 at £49.99 and prices range from that down to £29.99.

£54.99 is typical Game bullshit, they’re selling everything more expensive, including the console. Even their bundles can be beaten by buying things individually on Amazon.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Digital Bamboo

The Wii U prices seem fine to me. $350 for the deluxe set in Canada. Most games are $60, though some are $50, and one is even $40.

Quite a price range depending where you are though. The only set I’ve seen advertised in Korea is a deluxe Monster Hunter Tri + pro controller set for 1,000,000 won, which is around $900. Though, that was online, so it may have been imported from Japan.

As for Australia’s inflated prices, they may not actually be bad at all, when you take into consideration the higher wages paid there. (I wrote a whole detailed forum post about that, but I don’t think anyone read it.)

_LarZen_ I gather you were paying far closer attention in Economics class, than you were in English.

#17 1 year ago