Molyneux: Curiosity server issues aren’t good enough, ‘we weren’t prepared’

Wednesday, 14th November 2012 12:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Curiosity: What’s Inside the Cube? has been battered by ongoing server issues since it launched last week. Peter Molyneux cube-tapping bonanza has been lagging, crashing out and has been wiping player’s hard-earned coins without reason. The developer has now admitted that the situation isn’t good enough. Get his thoughts below.

Responding to an MCV article that discussed the app’s shortcomings, Molyneux threw his hands up and admitted to the site that his team weren’t ready for the high volume of traffic Curiosity has received since launch.

“What your article says is right. We were not prepared for the numbers that hit our app. I can be as proud as I like about how hard people have worked and how quickly they’ve implemented a completely new server system – it’s miraculous – but at the end of the day I have to put my hand on my heart and say ‘it’s not good enough’. And it isn’t good enough.”

Here’s the current state of the cube at layer six:

Are you still tapping, or have you become bored of the cube? Let us know below.

1. KAP

Molyneux: ‘we weren’t prepared’

Pretty much sums up your whole career.

#1 1 year ago
  2. PenTaFH

I have installed Curiosity on my Android phone this morning, and I’ve spent more time waiting for the game to unstuck or even start than I’ve spent tapping the heck out of it.

Oh, wait, no, literally just now my entire phone froze up trying to connect again. When doing an experiment, you should always prepare for even the most unlikely scenarios. That’s just sane science.

#2 1 year ago
  3. NocturnalB

It’s such a massive pain trying to get it to work it’s not worth the frustration to me. He can slap a “failed” stamp on this experiment.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Jet Black

I gave up when all my coins had been reduced to zero (I was sitting on just over 2 million coins at that point). Count me out of this experiment, my assessment to you Mr Molyneux is a ” Grade F, must try harder…”

#4 1 year ago
  5. AmiralPatate

But what’s in the box?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Why they didn’t launch with IAPs is beyond me. He’d be raking in the cash by now.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ZeGerman1942

@1: you sum it up pretty nicely.

Without the backing of a massive publisher (like MS at Lionhead) the short comings are even more apparent. At least at Lionhead PM was able to throw people (and money) at a project to try and ship something at least half decent. When standing on his own (or almost on his own), it becomes apparent that a good idea, without a solid plan for implementation and a solid business model behind it, is not enough.

PM has always had great ideas. No doubt about that. But implementing them in a meaningful and functional way is a different matter entirely.

#7 1 year ago