Crytek making ‘radical’ fourth Crysis game, won’t be called ‘Crysis 4′

Monday, 12th November 2012 17:11 GMT By Dave Cook

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has revealed that Crysis 3 will be the end of the current plot arc that began with the first game, but that the franchise is far from over. There will be a fourth Crysis game but Yerli has stated that the title ‘Crysis 4′ would be misleading. Find out why below.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Yerli discussed his studio’s plans for the franchise.

“[Crysis 3] is the end of the story of Crysis,” he said, “but it doesn’t mean it’s the end of the franchise.

“We are excited about the DNA of Crysis and of the franchise. There can be literally tonnes of titles out there within the franchise. Unlike Far Cry, this time around we feel very flexible about Crysis.”

As the current plot arc will end with next year’s Crysis 3, calling the next game Crysis 4 would be misleading, Yerli stated, “I wouldn’t name it Crysis 4 at this stage because it would be misleading. We want to finalise Prophet’s story and Crysis 4 would imply the story just moves on.

“Normally in this time right now we would already have pre-production going on, but because we want to make this something much more radical and new we are looking at it as a bit more of a long term thing. It’s too early to talk about it for these reasons.”

This means that Crytek may not be pairing up with EA on the project. We’ll have more as it happens.

Do you want more from Crysis? What form would you like it to take? Would a new Crytek IP excite you more? Let us know below.

1. Maximum Payne

PC only please.

2. Edo

I think that Crytek is in the middle of a creativity Crysis right now.

3. tezzer1985

Crysis has fallen off, I agree they need to do something different now.

4. Mike W

Lol….good one ;)

5. Maximum Payne

They are also developing Homefront 2,Ryse and new project that they didn’t announced yet.

6. ejams

I love Crysis, and I especially love the idea of the Nanosuit and how it interacts with the man inside.

I hope the third one will actually be able to capture some of the magic of the open-ness of the first game, but I’ll probably be getting it either way.

A new take on the franchise probably coming on next gen has my interest piqued though…

7. Edo

@5 Homefront 2 is being outsorced to Crytek by THQ,and what exactly have they made since 2004 that isn’t named Crysis?That’s right,nothing…

8. YoungZer0

@7: We could use that argument on a lot of Developers. *cough* Nintendo *cough*

9. dex3108

Didn’t they tell that they will go F2P after Crysis 3?

10. Maximum Payne

@7 Your argument can be applied to 80% of developers.

11. Edo

@8 Are you implying that the Japs and Jerrys are up to something again?Hmmm… :) .
    @10 Nope.

12. pukem0n

Crysys, Crysys Warhead, Crysys 2, Crysys 3

so they want to make a fifth one ;)

13. G1GAHURTZ

Crysis Reach.

14. LuLshuck

crysis had a story? lol

15. Arkorvo

@7 They’ve also released Warface.

Nothing wrong developing games knowing were your strengths are. Look at Naughty Dog with Uncharted, Bungie with Halo, basically the same game over again.

16. ManuOtaku

Iam currently playing crysis on the ps3, and i really see this as a great game, for me the best singleplayer campaing since halo combat evolved, on a FPS of course, although for very different reasons, not the AI or the sci-fi story rather because its the closest feeling i got to being a predator in a game, an a good game at that, i really think this is a great game or series, that nano suit rocks, i hope they release it for next gen consoles.

17. nani17

Let me guess it’s a prequel WOW never been done before.Let’s Lucas the franchise with another trilogy.

18. Badger

@17 I think you should change that phrase to ‘Disneying’ a franchise.

19. Lounds

Crysis 5 being developed for next gen bet ya.

20. AmiralPatate

You know what would be radical? An open-world shooter, with a gameplay of its own made for PC gamers then ported to console, groundbreaking graphics ahead of everybody else… oh wait, that’s Crysis 1.

21. The_Red

Hope they “Radical” change isn’t F2P Crysis. Really REALLY don’t like the F2P model.

22. NocturnalB

@5 Really? They picked up Homefront? …Why?

23. jailwood

Seeing as the war on earth is done they should take the fight to the ceph. Cause the ceph can come back to earth why not take the fight to them.

24. altha

I know they left Prophet’s storyline, but I would very much prefer playing the story gap between Crysis 1 and Crysis 2. Too many things were skipped, including Nomad’s fate and how Prophet was captured. I’m aware there are comics out, but I wish I would rather find out by playing it in first person. It is much more entertaining than reading.

#24 10 months ago
  25. Panthro

I would much rather like to see something alongside the events of Crysis 3 but set back in a tropical environment like Crysis 1… Maybe a younger villager without the suit has to somehow aid someone with a nanosuit and ultimately ends up having to take lead after something happens to the soldier which in turn leaves him alone with this nanosuit on an island full of enemies…

I dunno… I liked how the events of Far Cry 3 unfolded (i know that wasnt Crytek but it used to be), something sort of like that but with aliens, actual soldiers and a nanosuit thrown could be awesome.

Just a stronger story haha, so far Crysis has been so unimpressive in regards to its narrative.

#25 10 months ago