Halo franchise has sold 46 million copies since 2001, Microsoft releases series stats

Wednesday, 31st October 2012 11:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has revealed a slew of Halo franchise stats in the run up to Halo 4′s November 6th release. Most impressive is that the franchise has sold 46 million units to date. That’s got to equate to a lot of online frags.

In an official release, Microsoft highlights that the combined Halo series has sold 46 million copies worldwide since since Halo: Combat Evolved launched in 2001, resulting in over 5 billion hours of Halo gameplay logged over Xbox Live. The publisher also revealed that Halo: Reach along generated $200 million in sales in its opening week alone.

The series has also generated over $3 billion since its launch, according to Microsoft’s Chris Lewis.

The VP for interactive entertainment business said, “Halo is a $3 billion blockbuster franchise which has shaped entertainment history and defined a generation of gamers. From the world’s first ever red-carpet premieres for a video game to sending a man strapped to a jet-pack 50-foot above London’s iconic skyline, Halo launches have continually broken the mould and we are back with a colossal bang for Halo 4.”

The ‘colossal bang’ in question is Microsoft’s recent stunt, in which it took some gamers to Liechtenstein to play Halo 4 before launch, and transformed parts of the region into a sci-fi warzone.

Are you excited for Halo 4′s launch? Let us know below.

1. Gadzooks!

I have the day booked off work, phone and doorbell deadswitches wired up, a stack of snacks that could bury you, and I should have finished rolling all the ‘supplimentary entertainment’ by launch day.

This is the event of the year for me. I’m not just excited. I’m PREPARED!

2. OrbitMonkey

Baaa! Bleating of the Xbot sheep is deafening :-/ Getting all hard over a generic powertrip with simplified gameplay & ratmaze maps… Pathetic :|

*Loads up CoD*

3. ManuOtaku

I hope this game recaptures the feeling of the halo combat evolved game, for me it was the best of them all, and in my top favorite games of all time, heck i dare to say it , i like it even more than any nintendo title, therefore i just hope this one captures that feeling, a one that was lost in their following games, reach was a nice game and the best since combat evolved, but i want this one to be way better and that it will take me to that place that combat evolved did.

4. Dave Cook

@3 I can say this now as I mentioned it my preview. Control is identical to Halo 3, they haven’t dicked about with it in any way, but there are a few weapon improvements and new weapons you will enjoy.

Hope that helps a bit. it’s all I can say for now.

5. polygem

@Gadzooks: i hear you…unfortunateley i have to work, can only leave an hour eatlier or so. it will bea busy week ;(
    just as hyped as you though.
    @Orbit: :D
    @manu: absoluteley – yes – indeed! hale ce definiteley had a huge impact. one of my all time fave games for sure. i also do agree with you that reach was the best after ce…really really looking forward to play the campaign as well as the mp of halo 4.
    @Dave: sounds all good!

6. ManuOtaku

#4 Dave is not just the weapons, for me the weapons in all the halo games were great, the thing i meant is that in combat evolved touch an string about originality, great AI never before seen, a nice suspense sci-fi story with a touch of originality, that i never saw before, it was like discovering a whole new genre with it, therefore i hope this game while being the same, can grasp something of that, for me is not the gameplay, weapons or graphics is the experience the first one gave me, that non of the other in the series did in that way, they didnt stroke a core in me like the first one did, hope is hard to explain in words, adding the language barrier and all of that.
    p.s And thanks for your reply, man i really appreciatte how you keep in contact with us.

7. stretch215