LEGO The Lord of the Rings coming to UK on November 23

Tuesday, 30th October 2012 17:22 GMT By Jeff Dunn

LEGO The Lord of the Rings is out today for Vita, DS, and 3DS, with console and PC editions coming on November 13 in North America. Up until now, there hadn’t been any word on a specific date for those in UK, but today Warner has announced that the Middle-earth adventure will arrive there on November 23.

Made by longtime developer Traveler’s Tales, LEGO The Lord of the Rings features the cutesy gameplay you’ve come to expect from the LEGO franchise, only re-coated in an open world based on the popular fantasy film series. There’ll even be a Skyrim-style crafting system this time around.

The official list of available platforms will include, wait for it, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, DS, Vita, and PC. No word yet on whether or not you can play it on your toaster, but at this point nothing can be counted out.

1. TheWulf

So torn.

I’ve loved the LEGO games thus far. And Lego Batman 2 was the perigee of what they’ve been able to achieve so far. They were fun (a rare quantity in games, these days).

Still, I can’t stand Lord of the Rings. It’s one of those direly dull fantasy settings that I object to and find offensive in how bloody boring it is. I mean, even if it was just LEGO Dragonriders of Pern, I could have been very okay with that. But Lord of the Rings?

I worry that my disliking of LotR will actually sour me to LEGO games, which is something I fear. So despite how much I love these games and their parodies, I’m going to give this one a miss. Maybe. Probably.

2. motaromomonja

i love LEGO game.. specially LOTR Trilogy… cant wait for this… ” THE EPIC LEGO GAME ” …. that’s it !

3. motaromomonja

i think, people that hate LOTR don’t know the meaning of a true masterpiece.. period. 1

4. TheWulf

I didn’t say I hated it. I said I found it offensive, which I do. It’s easy to, really, if you’ve ever read any particularly decent fantasy.

It’s like chocolate. You’ll find that many chocolatiers find common confectionery chocolate offensive. This will have a lot to do with the ingredients, and how there’s no passion involved in the creation (due to them being mass-produced). And that, compared to chocolate produced by a talented chocolate, they can taste quite bad to them.

It’s the same with entertainment. The LotR style of fantasy is akin to confectionery chocolate. There’s better stuff out there, far better. To call LotR a masterpiece is like calling a Galaxy bar a masterpiece. Sure, it’s tasty, and to some it’s even delicious. But is it a masterpiece? Not really, no. It’s just popular. But being popular doesn’t correlate with worth.

All I can tell you is that I find no worth in LotR.

Perhaps it’s the age of it. But compared to more contemporary offerings which explore fantasy in different ways, I just don’t see what it could possibly give to a new generation of readers. It’s tired and everything within it has been done better elsewhere (such as in the Wheel of Time books). To be honest, I think even Pratchett’s works are more deserving of praise.

And McCaffrey, whilst her writing was wooden, at least she tried to do something interesting with the fantasy genre. It doesn’t hurt to try and push a genre now and then, to see exactly what you can do with it, and where you can take it.

LotR was ever a rehash of various mythos, just a cultural melting pot of superstition and legend from various cultures. There was nothing really distinct about it. Oh, and there was pointless, poorly written, meandering war scenes, if you like that sort of thing. That’s another thing that bugged me about LotR – the complete lack of focus.

So, yeah… I know what a masterpiece is. And I’m sorry, but LotR isn’t one. It’s fantasy confectionery. If you like that.

5. Kalain

Everyone has their own views on the Fantasy genre in general. I couldn’t stand any of the Dragonrider novels as they were just boring. Whilst lotr might not be the action adventure and slow in many places, it did appeal to me, just like the Hobbit and Similirian (or however it’s spelt). All of Tolkien’s books, for me in my opinion, were well written and very enjoyable. Just remember, Tolkien wrote the books after he created the world, which is a lot more than can be said for many modern day, contemporary authors today.

I think you’ll find that all fantasy books have elements of ancient mythos written into them, its our nature to add something that can, at least, be identified by the reader.

If I’m after a good, heroic read, I’ll go through my David Gemmell novels and read all about Druss and co again. If I’m after something a bit more sombre, I’ll read Brian Ruckley’s novels based on norse mythology. You take out what you want from a book.

6. Digital Bamboo

@Wulf See, I’m just the opposite. I love LOTR, but think that LEGO games are silly, & an insult to Tolkien’s legacy. But don’t feel singled out; I find LEGO Star Wars, Indiana Jones & Batman games equally offensive.