Xbox SmartGlass launches alongside Windows 8

Friday, 26th October 2012 17:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox SmartGlass has launched alongside Windows 8.The free Xbox app enables your PC, tablet and phone to connect to the 360 console to scan the daashboard, flip through content, or us your phone or tablet as a remote. Xbox Music, one of three pre-installed Xbox apps in Windows 8, has also launched, as has Xbox Video and the first wave of Xbox games in Windows 8. You can find out more on the new apps and services through Major Nelson or our post from earlier in the week. A video is below.

1. _LarZen_

“available for all your devices” that aint quite right is it? As of now you need a Windows device for this to work, no Android and no iOS support.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 It’s supposed to be launching on Apple and Google devices. It just hasn’t yet.

I had to LOL and the poorly super-imposed image of the TV in that ad. So bad.

I do think SmartGlass is a nice idea with some decent functionality. It’s just a convenience thing though.

3. freedoms_stain

Sounds like you have to use Microsoft music, video and browser apps *bokes in mouth*

4. Ireland Michael

@3 On the Xbox, obviously. But it works with other apps as well.

5. xxJPRACERxx

@2 WTF are you talking about the “poorly super-imposed image of the TV”, there’s no super-impose image.

6. absolutezero

I got an auto-update on my Windows Phone today, it updates the Xbox Companion app into Smart Glass. Not bothered using it really because I have no reason to turn my 360 on right now.

7. SlayerGT

I tried it out..doesn’t do much.

8. BraveLilCrumpet

Smart Glass is out now for Android. Not too sure about IOS though

9. Bomba Luigi

When I took away my Attention from the Movie/Series/whatever on Television and looking and reading something else, it is a sign that its boring Shit on the TV. If I watch something Great, I’m sure not doing something else.
    Don’t really get the Idea behind this…

10. karma

@#9 Seems that it doesnt work on a good portion of android phones going by numerous user responses around the net.