Fuse: Insomniac’s Ted Price narrates 18 minute gameplay walkthrough

Monday, 22nd October 2012 15:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Fuse may have changed name from Overstrike, but it’s still a squad based shooter with mad weaponry. Insomniac has released a video in which CEO Ted Price talks about Fuse’s gameplay and group tactics. Check it out below.

Joystiq has the clip her. Stay tuned for VG247′s hands on impressions and Fuse interview on Wednesday.

1. KAP

I’m not one to hate on games because of other reactions but I really feel this feels a little drab and monotone. An example, I’m excited by Bioshocks enviroments and art direction alone.. Its unique to other titles I’ve played throughout the years but FUSE feels very similar to many other titles, and doesn’t feel very out there really.

It’s a shame because It has a colour palette of greys, browns and blacks you tend to see so often and doesn’t do the game justice.

2. Erthazus

Super generic to be honest.

3. Hirmetrium

This is still a landmark case of how disappointing the industry is. I believe EA is publishing – one has to ask, how much influence have they had? What happened to the colourful and exciting Overstrike? I expected Zaney, crazy weapons and colourful environments, not watery blue-grey-brown-black. Where’s Dave Cook and an article about how Overstrike has changed so significantly?

4. absolutezero

It now reminds me of another game with a 4 letter title which went from potential to awful in a flash.

Haze.

5. Ali

Duh what a super bland and generic shadow of its former not so exciting either vision. Man, this is so boring.

It is a shame to see bland efforts get the green lights while exciting games like Prey 2 struggle to survive.

6. xino

game feels boring man:/

where is the innovative gameplay?
    like VanQUish’s boost?

all I see are unique weapons so far

the guy in suit with knife to his neck looks like JOker

7. Da Man

Haze was an amazing niche gem, misunderstood in a world of self righteous bullies.

This on the other hand, clearly looks generic.

8. lexph3re

Looks interesting enough for me. I’ll keep my eye’s on it

9. TraceableX

It looks good.

@6 Innovative gameplay sells better always? Vanquish is super but didn’t sell well enough.

Mikami is an amazing game designer.

10. xino

the reason why Vanquish didn’t sell was the stupid review that said the game was only 4hrs long, i think it was Game Informer, and people didn’t get the game because it’s only a single player game.

also people look at it as a generic shooter OR people play it like a 3rd shooter like Gears of War

11. Da Man

Vanquish was a bad value and a bad videogame, thus sold as such. Same with Binary Domain.

12. Dave Cook

@12 incorrect.

13. Da Man

In the days of dedicated multiplayer third person shooters struggling to attract customers, releasing a tiny SP only shooty shooty generic game was a huge mistake.

I’d rather buy a few Omega Fives from the Live Arcade.

14. TraceableX

@xino
    What a stupid review indeed. Personally it took me about 8 hours and half on normal. Great thing I don’t give a flying duck about “pro” reviewers.

@Da Man
    Vanquish was refreshing. Seems like you think every shooter is about dedicated MP.

15. Maximum Payne

It would be really shame if they wouldn’t try to implement this kind of stuff into MP.

16. Da Man

I think when you release an SP only one when there’s an oversaturated market full of more long lasting games, you need to put in more than a campaign with non existent plot and some survival mode.

17. Nath_gamer

I found this video very informative, and hearing my former Idol talk to me was nice, Ted Price is no longer my Idol for several reasons but mostly because of this game, I was really didn’t like the fact he was going multi-platform just to make more money and become more popular. So the only way I would be ok with it was if they where making a really interesting and unique game for the masses, and then they introduced Overstrike. And I was really looking forward to Overstrike, But then he changed it into Fuse and my heart sunk even further. I will still be looking out for this game but I am still very disappointed in my former Idol Ted Price.

18. YoungZer0

Vanquish had nothing but a little sliding mechanic. Everything else was same old, same old, with a sillier story than usual and extremely embarrassing one-liners. And it was only 4 hours long.

4 hours of the same gameplay, and the bland art-direction. I rather give Quantum Theory a chance than play this bore-fast again.

19. daytripper

@17 I don’t see what is wrong in making any game and trying to bring it to as many potential buyers as possible

20. daytripper

@18 Thought you was talking about Call of Duty there

21. absolutezero

Playing Vanquish and only using the slide to get about is like playing Resident Evil 4 as a straight shooter instead of shooting people in the legs and kicking them in the face.

Vanquish was all about streaming moves togethor and learning the robots weak points, its like Dark Souls at 100 mph. Slide, to melee, to slow-mo, shoot rockets out of the air, shoot your own thrown grenades. Its controls were tight, responsive and perfect for the game. Its story is no worse or better than any other video game ever made. I’ve yet to see another 3rd person shooter without a laughable story. Or game for that matter.

Its not really the games fault you suck balls.

22. lexph3re

Vanquish was great to me. Had a blast playing it, however, some games just aren’t some peoples type of game

23. YoungZer0

@21: I wouldn’t have been able to complete the game if i suck balls. It’s definitely the games fault if i can complete it with just using one mechanic. Not that i ever said that. Re-read my comment.

24. Telepathic.Geometry

@YoungZero: Are you telling me that you beat Challenge mode by sliding alone? And that you never used melee or slow-motion? Or cover? Or rolling? Or mechs? Or cigarettes?

If you don’t appreciate the magnificence of Vanquish, that’s too bad. But don’t say that the only thing that the game has going for it is sliding. What the game has going for it is it’s a sublime high speed shooting action game, for me, the best in its class.

I still haven’t beaten Challenge Mode though I’ve beaten everything else in the game…

25. YoungZer0

Of course i did use the other mechanics. Especially the cigarette-button. But we’ve seen all the other mechanics before. The art-direction was so bland that i nearly felt depressed playing the game. Quite honestly it wasn’t fun for me. I was bored. The weapons didn’t help either. Most of them were fucking terrible.

If all you have is the gameplay, you better deliver, but it didn’t. Same goes for Gears of War, btw. Bored, even in Coop.

26. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I loved the weapons, as they all felt and handled differently and all had their strengths and weaknesses. I also adored the gameplay, as it was fast, responsive and tight. But it looks like we see the same things differently, so that’s that.

On topic, I like the look of Fuse, and I’m looking forward to see how it develops, but as it’s a squad shooter… I dunno, maybe not for me.

27. Nath_gamer

@19 It’s like trying to make an ice cream with a flavour that EVERYONE likes, It’s impossible, you end up with an ice cream that tastes like a combination of chocolate and vanilla, weird and not very rich in flavour. (Sorry for my strange analogy but I think I made my point)