Doom 3 BFG’s ‘Lost Mission’ campaign re-hashes old content, gamer compares both in video

Monday, 22nd October 2012 13:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Doom 3: BFG Edition comes with a new ‘Lost Mission’ campaign that features seven levels of previously cut and new content. However, gamers have captured the campaign side-by-side with the standard Doom 3 campaign to show that much of the content has been recycled. Watch it below.

MarphitimusBlackimis made the discovery and has posted some screenshot comparisons to show the similarities further. Get them below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. Maximum Payne

Hahaha stupidity of today’s gamer is just unbelievable.

2. Dave Cook

@1 care to elaborate?

3. The_Red

Also, Doom 3 BFG is NOT the best edition of the game. At least on the 360 and PS3 versions, they cut one of the coolest features of the original game: Moving and dynamic shadows created by flashlight. It was a HUGE feature and was one of the most important elements in making the game so frightening. I mean, seeing every single part of environment react to your light was insane.

And I’m pretty sure its now due to weakness of PS3 / 360 hardware because some PS2 games had that albeit in a lower res shadow output.

4. Maximum Payne

@2 Well I don’t know what fans expected , to ID make new textures in old engine ? At least they are trying to add some thing new , tweak game and not just to upscale to 720p and call it a day like 90% od ”HD remakes”

5. Lord Gremlin

@3 Surly you could have dynamic shadows on PS3 and gibs that stay etc. But they simply wanted to make a quick buck.
    Think about it. The game doesn’t have subtitles. How cheap and quick does a port have to be to miss bare-bones, basic features? It is a rip-off and iD shouldn’t be thought a good developer. 60 FPS on PS3 or even 360 for such a game is a very easy thing to accomplish.

6. xino

LOLZ!

so glad I didn’t buy the satanic game!

7. Deacon

To be fair the video doesn’t really illustrate the extent of this. I see 2 or 3 small sections that have been re-used.
    If we’re talking huge areas that are exactly the same, then fair play. This however looks to be a bit of a hoo-hah over nothing.
    I enjoyed it back in the day, and I will probably pick this up when it hits £10. Gotta play with all the lights off, 7.1 headset cranked up. I’m down for that.

8. jacobvandy

They cranked up the brightness of lighting throughout the whole game by about 50% from what I saw in a different comparison video… You almost don’t even need the flashlight anymore, so officially implementing the duct tape mod was kind of pointless. Well, they had to, I guess, since BFG Edition does NOT support mods. I’d rather go back and play the original.

9. The_Red

I know. As I mentioned in my previous point, there were PS2 and Xbox1 games that had such features. Heck, Xbox1 could run Doom 3 without dynamic flashlight shadows.

10. absolutezero

What you are describing is a limitation of id Tech 5. Its not possible to do dynamic shadows on that engine, which is what BFG is running on.

Why they thought it was a good idea in the first place to port a game which is so heavily reliant on moving shadows is beyond me. Other than that it has a lessened FoV and the graphics look worse than a modded version of the original game. Its bizarre.

11. Arkorvo

iDTech 5 is capable of dynamic shadows, but only used on vehicles and characters, rest of the world has pre-baked lightmaps. But yeah the engine wasn’t designed to do what iDTech 4 did.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed it’s running on iDTech 5, but modders have found bits of iDTech 5 code in the game.

Why anyone on PC would choose this version over the original is mind-boggling. No GFX options, No Mods, looks worse, especially when compared with Sikkmod and the HD texture packs that are out there. Unless your an iD fan that wants it just for the Lost Missions, which looks above to be mediocre, then the original is better in every way.

They’ve not just broke the game graphics wise, scaling the lights, removing the flashlight mechanic and removing the shadows and I’ve heard from a friend the sound has been cripples aswell, they’ve removed the atmosphere from the game.

12. The_Red

Sadly enough, GiantBomb review said that original Doom 3 is unavailable on Steam. Bethesda is forcing this crappy version to become the ultimate and only version of Doom 3 for most people.

13. Docker Al

@#5 The game DOES run at 60 fps on both consoles. Do your research before posting.

14. Lord Gremlin

@13 Learn to read. I said exactly that. And that is not a plus. 60 FPS for such a game on current gen is very easily achievable. Everything else about the port is fucked up, so there you go.
    @12 They do allow you to buy original Doom 3 as part of expensive pack though.

15. The_Red

Yeah, the $100 id Collection or something though I haven’t checked myself. It’s a bit like Spielberg releasing that edited version of ET with walkie talkies or Lucas trying to make the “enhanced” Episode VI ending the official one (With you Anakin ghost instead of… ah forget it. Thinking about SW makes me angry).