Dishonored: why you shouldn’t buy Arkane’s sandbox

Friday, 12th October 2012 09:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dishonored finally arrives in Europe today, and a lot of people are going to buy it. Will you be among them? Or do you just hate fun?

Since Mr Internet is a notoriously contrary and cynical bastard I can’t guarantee that you’re going to like Dishonored, but I can say this: everyone here at VG247 likes it, despite our disparate tastes. Pat hasn’t liked anything that wasn’t a chilli, a filthy club remix or someone hurting themselves in an amusing fashion for over seven months now and even he likes it.

We like it for a lot of different reasons. The gameplay is so flexible that your first run should be little more than long series of mind-blowing revelations at the opportunities afforded by each power before you head back in to use them properly.

Dunwall feels Frankensteinian in construction but somehow goes straight to Bonerville with its mish-mash of influences. Some of the characters are almost alarmingly interesting and it’s very easy to care about Corvo’s highly-personal quest.

Arkane’s execution isn’t flawless by any means, but it is more than adequate to communicate a daring vision, and Dishonored is going to influence a whole upcoming generation of games in terms of storytelling, aesthetic and design. What I’m saying is that this is a title you shouldn’t hesitate to check out, regardless of how far outside your normal preferences it falls.

It’s a little hard to put myself in your ratty old Chucks; given access to the cash for it, I would buy Dishonored quicker than you can say “right up my alley”. But let’s imagine you live in another, nicer neighbourhood; why wouldn’t you want to play Dishonored?

It’s too short.

Here’s a speedrun of the second mission…

No it’s not, you prat, and I spent quite a long time saying so. I know what you want from games, friend: you want a wee popup saying “mission successful” and a breakdown of how amazing you are at pressing buttons on your plastic input device of choice.

For years you have been trained to believe that this is how things are done – games give you a task; you complete them in as direct a fashion as possible; an achievement unlocks; this repeats for 12 or so hours and it feels like $60 well spent. If it lasts for less than 12 hours you write an angry forum post.

That’s fine, dude, and I wish you well in your mole-like ingestion of breast-fed entertainment. But if you can give up the speed run mentality for a couple of minutes, you’re going to be more than compensated for your precious, precious time (which has been assigned a dollar value of game cover price divided by minimum hours spent on one aspect of the game).

Even once you’ve tried out both extremes of the chaos metre, there’s loads to find in terms of side quests, branching storylines, and lore – let alone the potential for mechanical exploration; Arkane’s beautiful semi-sandbox has only been out a few days and already people are doing marvellous things with it, suggesting a YouTube phenomenon in the making.

…and here’s what can happen if you experiment.

It’s too hard.
Oh deary, deary me, I thought we were gamers, not coma patients; I certainly prefer to chew my food rather than have it fed to me via suppository drip. But I’m being mean; you’re in good company here, with Jerry “Tycho” Holkins of Penny Arcade also confessing to a fear that the game was judging his performance and punishing his failed attempts at stealth. In fact, he called the mounting difficulty that occurs with the Chaos system as being “punished for being punished”.

I think this misses a point, to everybody’s loss. (For one thing, if you fail at stealth you can always Blink away and hide in a bin; nobody’s making you respond to attacks with swords swinging, are they? If so, maybe call the police.)

You don’t have to be perfect at the game to keep your chaos level low – goodness knows I was all flailing panic on my first run and emerged with the “best” ending regardless.

For those who enjoy the combat and are good at it, increasing Chaos is a reward: more enemies to blow up. Don’t allow yourself to fall into the trap of believing there’s a right and wrong way to play, and that you’re doing it wrong.

It’s too different.
I understand you have a comfort zone and it extends barely a metre from the path in the carpet you’ve tracked on countless trips between couch, fridge, and bathroom. Dishonored is full of weirdness, not just in its not-quite-steampunk aesthetic (which is indeed pretty weird, in the most delightful way), but in its differentiation from current triple-A design.

A lot of big budget triple-A games are so afraid of you not playing them that they play themselves, or maybe play with themselves; certainly some of the single-player shooter campaigns seem to be pointlessly masturbating while you quietly follow the camera through corridors.

Dishonored doesn’t do that. Dishonored invites you to play along with it; it rewards and encourages experimentation. The learning curve – unassisted by an awkward opening sequence – is arguably high but broaching it is like payday: suddenly you remember that games are fun, not chores to be completed – and this revelation is dangerously detracting of other major releases this year.

Ticking off a list of activities to get an achievement and mindlessly following a series of cookie-cutter orders for 30 hours isn’t fun. Why are we sitting around with control pads in our hands if we’re not having fun?

Why indeed; swap the Dishonored disc in, would you?

Dishonored is out now in all territories, for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. G1GAHURTZ

How daaaaaare you have an opinion!?

I am right, and you are wrong. Blah, blah, blah…

2. Ireland Michael

@1 It’s called an opinion piece for a reason. “you prat”.

This isn’t my game of the year, but I definitely can’t fault it. I adore the art direction, and a lot of the game design is genuinely unique, even in a formulaic setting. The wifeu is especially happy with this game, being an absolutely huge steampunk nerd.

3. Talkar

Great game, not my GOTY either, but still an amazing game!

4. ps3fanboy

it Is from bethesda and gonna be buggy as hell… that’s why you shouldn’t buy this. DON’T PEOPLE EVER LEARN???

5. Dave Cook

@4 Bethesda didn’t make it FFS!!!

Arkane did, and it’s not buggy. Know your facts before making silly comments.

6. G1GAHURTZ

@2:

Get back in your hole you slithering n00b!

And take your lack of reading comprehension with you!

7. Christopher Jack

@5, I love how you continue to communicate with your readers, it’s always interesting to have an editor’s point of view on their site’s articles, but you really can’t respond like that, especially when you’re wasting your breath on someone who has fanboy in their name.

8. G1GAHURTZ

He can respond how he likes.

It is a blog, after all.

Actually, I have to say that I really like the way that Dave doesn’t put himself in an ivory tower, like some other journos around here…

9. Dave Cook

@8 Dude seriously, I’m thankful someone has said that. I’m just a guy you know? – a gamer like the rest of you :) I never see myself as above my station or anything like that.

I’m passionate about my hobby, it’s my life, so yeah, I do get fired up about things at times.

But that said, I did fly off a little there didn’t I? :P

Continue being awesome readers.

10. Edo

I am really enjoying this game and I hope it sells well,cause it’s the only way we’ll get a sequel.

11. Badger

Great article, the game looks amazing I have to admit, but I’m finding it very hard to break the habit of waiting til it’s £5 on Steam. This is one of the few games I’ve actually been tempted to pay near enough full price for a while though. It sounds fantastic and new fantastic ideas deserve to do well.

12. Dave Cook

@11 they deserve all the money they get, vote with your wallet and help a sequel get made :D

13. Radaway

I disagree- “Ticking off a list of activities to get an achievement and mindlessly following a series of cookie-cutter orders for 30 hours isn’t fun” This is what Dishonored eventually becomes :http://www.puresophistry.com/2012/10/08/dishonored-review-blink-and-then-reload-save-file/

14. Dave Cook

@13 I disagree with that article. If people want to play it that way then that’s fine, but if you want a great experience then people won’t resort to that. There is so much experimentation to be had in stages, about how you approach those objectives, and it underlines Arkane’s superb level design.

15. NeoSquall

@7 There’s no fault in Dave’s side in this case, since he’s responding to a bot/troll/idiot’s comment.

16. Sini

This game a) starts slow, and b) gets boring and monotonous fast. Also the sneaking is very poorly designed with the lack of shadows/light gem, you pretty much have to use dark visions through most of the game. So you’re either totally blind, or know everything including behind walls at the cost of a mouse click. Finally, textures are piss poor xbot quality even on pc, and AA implementation is terrible, I had to use nvidia inspector to force a decent one.
    Overall 3/5

17. roadkill

Brenna this article is fucking awesome!! Good job!

18. kroegs

I have to disagree with #16 a little bit. I run a tri gpu rig and I’m usually a graphics to the max hardcore idiot and have found no tweaks that really do much of anything, even nvidia inspector. At first it bothered me a little but I gave up and it was worth it. They designed it to be multi-plat but their implementation was perfect imo. It looked great. They made the most out of a small resource using footprint.

I too give it a 3/5 though. As a game “milker” I just can’t see myself stretching this one out for very long. There isn’t that much I’m interested in doing over and over and over and over and over again.. I’ll probably replay it at least once or twice more.

19. Len

Best thing I’ve played all year by a mile. 7 hours in and just finished the 1st mission and can’t wait to get back to it. Wonderful stuff… :)

20. Custard Ganet

Wow man,7 hours in and just completed the first mission.Slow and steady eh,cant wait to pick this game up.

21. YoungZer0

@19: Are you looking for every coin?

22. viralshag

Well I died and somehow all my saves, including auto saves disappeared. Can’t really be arsed to play through it again just yet.

23. Len

@21 Nope just really taking my time and exploring everywhere, messing around with my powers, doing all the side quests and finding all the hearts and runes. I’ve got all objective markers switched off and playing on hard.

Blink is going to become the most copied mechanic by many many devs methinks. Tis genius… :)

24. CPC_RedDawn

Sorry but the article is has really annoyed me. Its been written by someone who loves this game and hates the fact other people don’t.

The game is a sub-par game by a long way.

You have a section saying “Its too different” since when was ripping off other games classed as “different”? They have just mishmashed together things from different games. HL2, BioShock, TF2, Timesplitters, etc. Since when has ripping other people off been classed as original?

You have a section saying “its too difficult” you answered this one perfectly, if anyone and I mean anyone who calls them selves a gamer thinks this game is hard needs to find another hobby. I played on the medium difficulty as I do with all my games as I like a challenge but I dont like too much of challenge as to get annoyed with a game. This game on other hand even on medium present NO challenge at all I completed the game is less than 6 hours and no I did not run through it, I “stealthed” a lot of missions and found a lot of the relics too. Some of the A.I was stone cold dumb, I stood right in front of one enemy soldier whilst he stood back staring at me, he turned around and I stealth killed him. This happened more than once.

You seriously need to consider other peoples opinions when writing trolling articles like this. Just because other people can see flaws in something you like does not automatically mean that they are wrong and your are right by any means.

Ive played this game once, completed it in less than 6 hours. I did enjoy some of it, the art style pissed me off as it seems all people see is something slightly different and go bat shit crazy thinking its the best thing since sliced bread. Well its not, the graphics even on PC were pretty shocking to say the least, the character models stood out like Gary Glitter in a ball pool and were a complete design rip off of Timesplitter and TF2 mixed together.

THIS IS NOT INNOVATION AT ALL, ITS SHEER PLAGIARISM!!!

But if you like this game then so be it, I can see its appeal to a lot of people. But for me, as you can probably tell, its pretty rubbish. But like I said just because I do not like it, does not mean I am right, its ONLY MY OPINION!

25. freedoms_stain

@24, the hell is “medium”? Normal? Normal is piss easy on the vast majority of games these days.

26. G1GAHURTZ

This.

27. absolutezero

“You seriously need to consider other peoples opinions when writing trolling articles like this.”

You seriously need to consider other peoples opinions when writing opinion articles.

lol wut?

28. G1GAHURTZ

An opinion is a person’s personal view that isn’t based on certainty.

Well, just think of the irony of an ‘opinion’ piece that states that everyone else’s opinion is invalid. That the author’s ‘opinion’ is not actually an opinion, but the absolute truth.

It’s not an ‘opinion’ piece anymore. It’s a ‘you’re wrong’ piece.

This article is basically telling people that they have no right to dislike the game.

29. Kuwabara

What has come out this yeah that is game of the year?? certainly not mass effect 3. Nor max payne, not twisted metal, not sleeping dogs, resident evil6. It’s between borderlands 2, dishonured, ASScreed3,hitman,farcry3,xcom

30. zinc

I’m of the opinion, that Brenna’s opinion is his own opinion, which may not match my opinion, but everyone is allowed a opinion, even if the opinion, is that your opinion is the wrong opinion.

*edit*

Apologies Brenna, I was under the impression Dave wrote this :-/ Very nice article… If a little opinionated :-P

31. Dave Cook

@30 I didn’t write the article btw :)

But yes opinions are good.

32. absolutezero

Really?

You actually think this is seriously telling people that dislike the game that they are 100% wrong?

REALLY? FUCKING REALLY?

33. G1GAHURTZ

@30: Brenna is not a he, either.

34. G1GAHURTZ

@32:

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

It’s too short: No it’s not, you prat

Not just this one. Add the “You’re playing it wrong” article, and the podcast this morning, and you’ve got some sort of brainwash campaign going on.

35. Len

Marmite! ;)

36. TheWulf

I have to throw on my lot with liking this.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me.

- It’s got a very atypical aesthetic. And it’s actually a punk one, too. The most common of punks (steampunk), but still punk. Those have become so rare.
    - It has non-lethal ways of dealing with encounters. Because having a game that isn’t about killing everything once in a while is nice.
    - It’s peculiarly ambitious (and in some ways plain odd) for a triple-A title. But then I guess it being Arkane has a lot to do with that.
    - It didn’t back down on being daring just to make a popular appeal.

It’s not my greatest game ever, or even of the year. There have been games even more ambitious and strange than this one, but as a triple-A effort, this isn’t bad. Not bad at all.

I still feel that there were elements of it where they restricted themselves or held back out of fear of backlash from the masses, but I’ll keep my peace on that. All in all, it’s a much better game than it probably should have been. Usually hyped triple-A titles like this? Not so much.

37. Ireland Michael

@36 Surely punk is the most common punk, simply by nature of being… well… the progenitor? And the whole goth thing is still being beaten to death, in and out of video game.

Still, I adore the game’s aesthetic as well. The art style is top notch all over. Steampunk is definitely something I’d like to see a lot more in video games myself. The whole thing lends itself very well to the medium.

38. TheWulf

Tinfoil hat, much? They’re fans, just like anyone else. I’ve done the same, myself. I’m currently doing it with Of Orcs and Men because I’m Very Angry frankly about how people keep chugging chump elixirs and turning from games just because they’re not completely familiar experiences.

Oh no, the hero isn’t a pseudo-intellectual man who likes to stab dragons with his mansword. It’s actually a big orc who clubs humans instead, and says the word fuck! He says fuck! Oh be still my virgin ears.

When you come across opinions like those, they can indeed make one irritable, because there’s a distinct air of idiocy around them. It’s people not even wanting to try something different – instead they just want the same gutter-trash “entertainment” they’ve had shovelled into their gaping mind-mouths for the past decade.

VG24/7 are being fanboys about how you can play Dishonored differently. Instead of just rushing through the game and killing everything, you can approach it from other perspectives and enjoy a rare gaming experience. Dishonored is about choices, so it doesn’t restrict you.

But in a game where you can use subterfuge, intelligence, wits, charm, and non-fatal means to achieve your ends, it just seems… a waste to not even try that. Hence ‘you’re playing it wrong.’

They’re just being fans.

Last I checked, being a fan wasn’t a crime. Not even for site owners.

At least they’re not like some sites where they’ll lambast a game that isn’t popular, and brown nose, just to be controversial and generate clicks. I actually kind of respect them for that.

If they want to be fanboys and girls, let ‘em. It’s their prerogative.

39. zinc

@33… oh bollocks :-/

40. TheWulf

That’s not entirely the way I meant it. It’s just shorthand for the various *punk genres out there, and they pretty much all spread out from steampunk and cyberpunk equally as the two progenitors. That’s why other punk genres tend to be thought of as punk derivatives, which is what I was getting at. I sometimes use *punk to get around misunderstandings, but I got lazy that time.

But there are now some good derivatives, from the slightly older ones like dieselpunk, atompunk, and clockpunk, to newer ones like biopunk, teslapunk, and nanopunk. Steampunk and cyberpunk are, of course, the mother and father of all of these subgenres. I like seeing steampunk used, but I often find myself wishing that we’d see more like BioShock.

But in mainstream media, it’s like the punks are cancer, currently… as such they’ve been all but ignored, with only the most common and oldest instances getting a look-in.

41. Ireland Michael

@38 But journalism is supposed to be objective!1!1!1!1

You’re not supposed to have opinion if you’re a journalist. Lawl.

@40 You can subculture subcultures until you’re blue in the face, but all these offshot names for different steampunk styles are honestly pretty tedious. They’re steampunk.

It’s like people can’t be happy unless their ideas are somehow, no matter how vaguely, differiated from something despite the fact that they all come from the same source.

I really don’t see how the punks are cancer, honestly. They’re all over the place.

42. polygem

i am starting to become sceptical as well now…i mean i remember running in the shop to get a vita after the vg247 hype train picked up some steam. i never really wanted one to begin with but then even very mediocore games like this rc motorstorm game semed to be the best thing in handheld gaming and the vita wipeout too. uncharted GA…the shit! then i bought and played all that and seriously, i don´t know where that excitement was coming from. ..i didn´t really regret that i bought it and checked that out myself, but, well the vita stayed with me for a month or two.
    sorry back to topic:
    imo it really seems that this game gets hyped too much. i haven´t played it yet (i definitley will do that soon) but i really cannot see it being as innovative as some say it is. i hope i am wrong, i hope this is not just about some self crowned internet hipsters thinking this is some sort of cool steampunk stuff going on and that they´re so cool to like ´different´ games, y´know, games that are as special as they are because they are all such unique and beautiful persons that know what´s art and what is not…this rich kid middle class upper class twen shit going on. that i fear.
    oh yea, new ip´s. i love em. but goty. i bet. halo 4.

not aimed at you Wulf. you posted while i wrote this. i don´t know you. i am generally speaking. i fear it´s all just hipster hype. that´s all.

43. G1GAHURTZ

@38:

See… This is the issue that I have here.

Why is it that you (and apparently Brenna) get angry because someone doesn’t like what you’ve found?

Because you want it to be popular, right? You want other people to share in your experience, and get the same joy from the game that you did, right?

So why get angry when they don’t? Perhaps, what you see as stupidity based on their liking other things that are void of real quality is actually their genuine taste.

Now, for example (a completely fictitious example that isn’t based on anything real…), I’m a black guy. Let’s just say that I’m always being chased by black girls. They’re chasing me, but I have a blonde haired, blue eyed, white chick.

So they ask me why… Why would I go for this air head, with no brains, when I can have a culturally refined, intelligent, lovely girl of my own race?

Well maybe I just like blonde bimbos! Maybe I like airheads who giggle at kittens!

Why should they get angry because of my genuine taste?

They can’t force me to like something that I don’t like as much!

It’s the same situation here.

Why should you get angry if people like 30 hour long corridor shooters, or run of the mill adventure games?

Why should you care so much about someone else’s opinion, that you try to answer every negative point that they mention about a game as though it’s a factual inaccuracy?

You can be a fan, sure. Hey, I’m a CoD fan.

But I don’t get angry or try and start a campaign to rebuff every criticism that I hear about the games.

I learned a long time ago that it’s almost impossible to understand people’s opinions.

Or change them with ‘reasoning’.

44. Ireland Michael

@43 Nobody is “angry”.

45. G1GAHURTZ

^ Why don’t you just LEARN TO READ?

46. M. K.

Sorry, I still don’t get the hype. It looks like a cheap thief game with bioshock visuals and I dislike both :D I’d still try a demo if there’s one.

47. Phoenixblight

I had rented the game and played and beaten and not even with non lethal and getting most of the bone and RUne charms I feel the game is overhyped and not worth the raving reviews it has received. It has solid base for doing things but it comes up short much like the original Darksiders.

Maybe if there is a sequel they can go more indepth with the mechanics but I feel this game does nothing original that hasn’t been done in Deus Ex and other similar games.

48. KrazyKraut

wtf is wrong with you guys? “you do it wrong” “you shouldn’t buy it”
    same traffic shit Destructoid is doing.

49. polygem

@48: oh yeah, destructoid…can you take someone seriously who gives mario kart 7 50/100?

vanquish: 50

The Last Story: 40

just the ones i can recall atm. it clearly is all about peronal taste here.

sometimes their reviews are spot on, but stuff like that kills that page for me totally.

it is just too much opinion, sure there always is opinion in reviews and that´s fine, but it shouldn´t be to a degree where the reviewer fails to see a great game despite he might not personally like it.
    those bad reviews for great or good games is just like a kid screaming for attention. it is ok for kids but embarassing for an adult to do that.

this here isn´t on the same level though. i feel like those guys just really really love this game. at least that´s what i hope is happening here. the videogame business needs hype. hype can be great and gamers usually love it. i definitley do sometimes. nothing is so great at hyping stuff as the gaming industry – because: gamers wanna get hyped….vg247 prolly just thinks it is good to support a brandnew ip….and yea, it probably totally is!

50. DrDamn

Agree. There should be something which distinguishes a professional review from just another opinion. Part of that should be that it is an evaluation of the game and not just a personal opinion.

This article is great and is clearly an opinion piece. It’s good to see stuff dedicated to celebrating the good stuff which excites in gaming.

51. polygem

@50: you are problaby right. in the end it is good to see these kind of articles on a page like this. it shows passion. for games. that´s great.

52. kroegs

I didn’t mind the article, it actually made me laugh a bit. I like the fact they can write how they feel. But it did make me want to argue one point. It’s too short!! I’ve read all the arguments about it not being short and to me you just cannot, I repeat, you absolutely cannot justify lack of content with anything except more content. Look it’s a spinning top!! You pull the string and it spins and doesn’t fall!! Wicked cool! Hmm then what…? Umm, then we flip it upside down and do it that way!

53. Old MacDonald

I’ve been playing for 6 hours now and not completed the first mission yet. Don’t feel I’ve been playing very slowly either, just done my fair share of exploring. The only way this is “too short” is if the entire rest of the game, including the final bit of the first mission, takes 4 hours or something. Considering the amount of time I’ve used so far, I highly doubt that.

52: There’s tons of content. Optional areas, secrets everywhere… The problem for a few people seems to be that they race past it without even noticing it’s there.

54. bpcgos

I’m quite surprise by the reaction in the comment section that shows how different the demographic between this site and more mature site with ‘mature’ reader.
    For example, in RPS, most of their commenter respect the writers opinion no matter how different it is then their own opinion about the game. Here, most of the commenter just think that the writer tried to force their taste(plus overhyped the game) and even accused it as a non-journalism article.Bad, very bad. Maybe some of you just like something with more handholding experience than Dishonored, and I’m assured there’s still plenty of that kind of game around than something like dishonored

55. Sini

someone released a handy injector that adds more color and improves AA in the game, just dump the files in the directory and press the hotkey in game to switch it on or off, read the readme included. This does kill your frame rate though, so if you’re got a peasant pc forget about it

56. Sini

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc0rrdMgT3s

57. polygem

@54: huh, what are you talking about? all i can see here is a very mature and controversial discussion about a certain videogame…i certainly do not want to live in your world where everybody is bootlicking everyone.

58. Ali

This game is giving me hard times to get back to the fully structurally forced games. This is how awesome it is. After taking a look at the list of 2012′s coming game, I am pretty sure now that Dishonored is my game of the year.

59. Phoenixblight

I disagree especially with Farcry 3 and Hitman coming out in the next couple of months.

60. polygem

i know, some just arent into that…but HELLO? HALO4! Paper Mario Sticker Star could easily also become my game of the year as well though…

61. Ali

@59, both look awesome and are on my list of games to check, but I see my GOTY easily handed to Dishonored.

So unless, FarCry 3 surprises me as much as Dishonored did/is doing, there might never be a competition.

62. sb319

63. Mike

Hello. I have a full-time job, a family and other interests aside from gaming. When I buy a game, I play it once through, and then usually shelve it. It has one shot to impress me. I can learn with it, grow with it, but I won’t replay it from start to finish mainly due to a packed market and very little time.

Ergo, Dishonoured will be wasted on me.So thanks for the article, because of your arguments I now will definitely not be spending any money on the game. :)

64. InsaneMagic2100

Wow guys. I love the game. Forget side missions and secrets. Dishonored is awesome anyway. I’m on mission 7 and I already had a lot of fun with it. I could play again on a higher difficulty, no problem. The game is great fun with good controls. No game is perfect and we always want more. (Thats what Dishonored 2 will be for, no?) It could of had some survival mode where you get unlimited pistol ammo and see how many enemies you can kill OR anything like that wouldn’t of hurt. Oh did I mention the story is good. No, it’s great!

I see the “problems” though. Running around looking for charms and runes up or down on every area/mission. BUT you get to KILL, KILL and KILL some more! Save and load your game and KILL some more!!!! What the problem is? This game is almost perfect.

I’m afraid it will get boring sooner or later; but what game doesn’t? Maybe new content for the game will be released.

Whatever, Dishonored is a very good game no matter what anyway says about it. If you’re into buying or collecting a lot of single player games, get this one for sure. (Wouldn’t be the worst game you spent $60 on. (For sure wasn’t for me).

I mean, Dishonored sucks! Gaming is an addiction and all the people making games know that and punish us for it! They no longer put their heart into their games, only their greed. They don’t stop to think for one second about adding some kick ass extras and challenges and bonus stuff to the game without making us pay for the content! It’s ridiculous, just ******g ridiculous!

If you’re addicted to games, might as well buy this one, you will enjoy it. It’s a step up for sure from all the crappy money hungry quick made BS games made or being made now. At least they tried! Thank you!

I could type some more BS but I’m going to go play …… some……. GAMES!!!!!!!

65. J-A-B-R-O-N-I

Best video-game related article I’ve read all year. Sorry, IGN, i’m here now.

66. loll2article

Omfg this has got to be the most stupid article about a game I have ever read. Srsly Brenna, you’re a fool who is fooling no one.

Firstly this is blatabtly a fanboi article, but most of all are these atrociously stupid STRAWMAN arguments you have clearly made up. You’ve provided no sources for these criticisms and they look made up, and thus you’ve ousted yourself as an imbecile.

1. Too short
    Okay, this was a legitimate critcism but you devolved it and stawmanned it into people saying thy prefer reptetitive games..errr…what? How in the heck did you get that drivel from someone saying “too short”? Grow up moron.

2. Too hard
    No one has claimed this, there is difficulty options for a reason and everyone knows this, you’re arguing against a strawman again.

3. Its too different
    omfg this one takes the cake. You clearly made this up in a pathetic attempt to strawman yet again. But noooo maybe you’re right huh? In which case INDIE GAMES (which are always known for being different) are all failing according to your logic right? Wrong dumb*ss. The indie scene has become one of the most profitable markets than it has ever been before, with very different and original games.

This ariticle was a pathetic strawman attempt by a woman with a hardon for korval

#66 1 year ago
  67. Templar0929

@loll2article

Are you an idiot? Did you even read through the article? The woman was refuting those points and she did so better than you, you numskull. Playing too much Call of Duty has clearly muddled your brain you dumbass.

Idiot.

For me though, Dishonored wasn’t the most amazing game out there. It provided nothing new to the genre really and might as well have been Thief: Supernatural because take the magic abilities away and you’ve got an exact clone of Thief (literally). Dishonored actually made me want to go back and play through the entire Thief series again.

#67 1 year ago