Platinum Games considering Kickstarter project for Steam

Tuesday, 25th September 2012 08:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Bayonetta 2 developer Platinum Games has expressed interest in creating new PC titles and funding them through Kickstarter. The studio’s executive director, Atsushi Inaba has specifically name-dropped Steam as a possible outlet for said projects.

Speaking with Polygon, Inaba stated, “Console game development budgets are really big,” he said, “so we need publishing partners to create those games. I was thinking – with our own money – about creating a PC title for Steam. It would give us the possibility to become a publisher, which is very attractive to me.”

“If you think about the console market in Japan,” Inaba continued, “and compare it to the world, it’s not that big. So I view the PC as an area with huge potential. It would be great if we could do a Kickstarter and gather enough money for a game to be released on Steam.”

Inaba’s comments echo a recent statement made by Half-Minute Hero developer MarvelousAQL. The studio is bringing its game to Steam soon but has criticised the platform for now being Japan-friendly enough to make it a real prospect in the country.

However MarvelousAQL’s Esteban Salazar did state that, “My personal opinion is that [Steam] is one of the ways that Japan can still compete, as far as putting their games in front of users, and not having to spend huge mega-budgets. It can help them compete with Western publishers.”

So Japan + Steam = win? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. voxelman

They would have my money

2. RandomTiger

I would consider it too but they would either have to make something small or ask for a lot more money than anyone else on kickstarter has.

3. Dave Cook

I’d just give them a blank cheque. Love Platinum’s output.

4. NeoSquall

I’d be more happy if the Kickstarter was to fund a multiplatform version of Bayonetta 2 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. One can dream.

Anyway I’ll be very wary of what they want to make and how much they want, before giving them my money.

5. Kabby

“criticised the platform for now being Japan-friendly enough”

It should be NOT friendly enough.

6. Keivz

Amazing, I was just thinking they should do something like this yesterday! Granted I just finished Bayonetta as well.

I would donate iff it were to produce a AAA game though. One can dream.

7. Da Man

Amazing idea, I bet a PC exclusive would sell millions in Japan.. So they ‘re going to abandon most of their original target audience then.

Where are all the PC fanboys ‘stating the fact’ about inferior controls?

8. absolutezero

What in the name of Christ are you trying to start a fight about now?

9. Da Man

They’re going to lose most of their customers, as well as produce a videogame for a platform where the only suitable input method is optional.

Unfortunately for PC nerds, it’s true. With factual evidence.

10. ManuOtaku

I think this is sad, not only for bayonetta 2, which is a great game by the way, but it would have been cancell if it wasnt for nintendo, and now this, i think the big budget for games and the need for great results with publishers, because of this, is really taking is toll on this industry in a quick way, i dont want to see what would happen in the mid term of next gen, or even further than that, the industry should start pondering about the direction is taking, especially with the increasing interest of the movie cinematic feel in games this days, that incides on the budgets, i thinl all manufacturers and publishers should start discussing and approaching this.