Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition release delayed into fall

Friday, 14th September 2012 20:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will miss it’s scheduled launch date next week on September 18, Beamdog has announced.

According studio boss Trent Oster: “After recently reviewing the game and then consulting with our partners, we’ve decided to ensure that Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best possible product on launch. Thus, we have pushed back the release date of the game.”

Oster “something special” is being worked on for those who already pre-ordered the game as an apology for the delay.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will now release on November 30.

Thanks, Shack

1. Talkar

Oh damn, i was really really looking forward to play this on tuesday! But i guess i can’t complain about them wanting to polish their game :P

2. DSB

But when is it going to be on Steam? I dislike having to use Beamdog to play MDK 2 HD, only to find out that it’s on Steam less than a year later.

3. ballz

its beamdog exclusive atm

4. Talkar

Why?

5. DSB

@4 Because I can wait 8 months to purchase it, if that’s what it takes.

It’s pretty disingenuous to call something an exclusive, when it isn’t.

6. Talkar

No, you misunderstand me. I meant, why wait for it to come on steam? Why not get it when it is released?

7. DSB

@6 Why would I. Act now and give Beamdog an easy buck, or wait 8 months and keep my games collection in the same place.

No-brainer. I already have the game on disc and GOG, I’m not in a hurry.

8. Talkar

Or, you know, support the dev more by buying from them instead of some place that steals what 30%?

9. Old MacDonald

I was looking forward to this. OTOH, I’ve also been looking forward to Borderlands 2, F1 2012, FTL and Carrier Command. And a bunch of others. So all in all, I don’t mind not having a 100+ hour RPG epic to play right now. Maybe it’s calmed down a bit by 30. november. Heh, or maybe not.

10. Talkar

Hitman is out November 20th :P

11. DSB

@8 Holy hyperbole. I don’t care who takes 30%, or who takes 100%. Beamdog has bought me precisely as many beers as the Valve Corporation, Gamestop or EA has.

Why would I want to help pay their rent?

I might consider it if Beamdog was a better service, and I wasn’t being forced to use it. If they want my patronage, they’re going to have earn it, just like everybody else.

Using this approach, they’ll be getting 100% of a grand total zero dollars.

Although I’m guessing they already have a date with Steam, just like last time. They’re just being disingenuous yet again.

12. Talkar

I just can’t fathom your fascination and goodwill towards exploitative DRM… But each to his own i guess :P

13. absolutezero

Theres that word again I don’t think it means what you think it means.

14. DSB

DRM can be DRM all it wants to be, as long as I don’t notice it, and it comes with a service and value that makes it worth installing on my computer.

… unlike Beamdog.

15. Ireland Michael

@11 Couldn’t you add it to your games list on Steam manually?

16. DSB

@15 I’m not sure. Beamdog is a client as well, so either it won’t work, or I’ll be running two clients to play one game, which still doesn’t make any sense.

At the end of the day it’s really quite simple. If they don’t bring the game to where I am, I’m not going to buy it. Expecting everybdy to accomodate you, just so you can make a little extra on each sale isn’t a strategy I’d like to support.

It’s the same thing whether it’s Beamdog or EA. Either make a client that actually has something to offer, or at least leave people the opportunity to buy games wherever they prefer.

It’s really made worse by the fact that their communication sucks. I jumped on a sale for MDK2 HD, believing that the game was indeed a “Beamdog exclusive”. Then two months later, it’s on Steam.

The very least you should be able to expect is honest communication. They can’t even get that right.

17. magnumfinger

I would play this game simply because I played it more than a decade ago, but that’s just about it. I’m not expecting something awesome or anything beyond that.

18. Talkar

Did they ever say that it would never come to steam? I’m not trolling, i actually don’t know if they did x)

19. DSB

@18 They’re saying it won’t, but then that was what they said last time.

8 months from now, let’s see what happens.

20. Talkar

So they didn’t say that MDK2 HD wouldn’t come to Steam. You just assumed it. I can see how that is their fault -.-’

21. DSB

Actually they did, I just updated the post.

And generally, when you call something an exclusive, it tends to mean that you’re excluding everybody else. Otherwise it’s not a very exclusive exclusive.

It’s entirely their fault. Ambiguous PR is still terrible PR. Ask Ubisoft about that. You’re just grasping at straws here.

22. Talkar

So by your logic, Sony, Microsoft, Activision, EA, Beamdog, and probably a lot others are terrible at what they do. I’m glad i don’t live in your world…

23. zinc

@22, Actually you do, you just don’t live by his world view… Though if you did, you would be in total agreement.

Instead your trying to pick a fight with someone whose actions are no worse than someone waiting for a DVD release of a film, rather than rushing out to the cinema on day of release.

24. DSB

@22 I don’t quite see what you’re getting at, but I see two companies on that list who are actually making a profit, and one that is actually serious about improving the way they look and do things.

If Beamdog decides to accomodate me as a buyer, I’ll buy their stuff. If not, then I’ll be just as happy buying from those who will.

It’s not any more complicated than that.

25. Talkar

The question was never who are making money or not, or improving they’re ways.