Wii U release date & price will be revealed in tomorrow’s Nintendo Direct

Wednesday, 12th September 2012 12:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo will reveal the Wii U’s official release date and pricing during its next episode of Nintendo Direct.

Company president Sarou Iwata posted the confirmation on the Nintendo Japan Twitter today, along with the Google translated message, “Good evening [Iwata], is Nintendo’s Iwata. Than 16 hours on Thursday, 13 tomorrow, will be broadcast on the Internet “sale presentation on Wii U”. Happy to announce the price and release date and other information of body Wii U.”

The webcast will kick off on the official Nintendo Direct page from 8am UK time & 9am Central Europe Time. VG247 will be on hand to give you all of the juicy information as it happens tomorrow.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. ManuOtaku

Finally, lets see how the future will unfold for nintendo, as price is a very key factor here.

2. Moonwalker1982

Satoru Iwata ;)

This is good news for the fans. I still need a reason to become a fan of the Wii U

3. OlderGamer

I am going to have a hard time with anything over 300usd. Guess time will tell.

4. Moonwalker1982

200 to 250 euros would be a good price. Especially if the stories are true, that specs wise it’s not all that much better, if at all, than the currrent offerings.

5. viralshag

@OG, I don’t normally comment on the Nintendo and WiiU articles because I’m not really interested in the platform or the company.

But I will say I’ll be surprised if it’s less than $300. I don’t think it will be much more than that, but I reckon it will be around the £200/$320.

6. Fin

How long does it go on for?
    I’d say late October, $299/€299/£269 is probably about right. Who knows though.

7. DrDamn

I’m guessing $299/€299/£250 – though I think they should be releasing at closer to $250/€250/£200. November release for US and Japan, Early December for Europe.

8. OlderGamer

Yeah, that is what I am worried about Viral. I shudder at what the next Sony/MS systems will cost. Unless they have contracts ala smart phones to offset the purchase price. And even that I don’t know if I want to get into, maybe one but not two.

And also the game prices.

But for now, I am just hoping to come home with a 300usd WiiU.

If I recall right, I think the NES was 200usd, the SNES 200usd, N64 was 250usd, GC was 250usd, and Wii was 250usd. So really, I am guessing 300usd. Maybe a pack in of NintendoLand will be included.

9. ManuOtaku

OG nintendoland should be included, nintendo should not let pass that oportunity down, that will be a good incentive for the price factor.

10. viralshag

@OG, I might be totally wrong now that I think about it. As the tech (as far as I’m aware) is not massive leaps from what the 360 and PS3 has, there is a good chance they have sourced their components at a ridiculously competitive price, lowering the overall cost.

If I was Ninty, I would try and price it higher but close to that of the Wii, so that you can get any late adopters to that console to think “well it’s not much more for the WiiU, so why not go for that one.”

Plus, not giving the Wii a big price cut means people will get more trade-in value for it, which would probably entice people to trade-up to the WiiU. If you’re smart, you will want to do that early to avoid getting a crap price or turned away because the store has too many pre-owned Wiis already.

11. Da Man

PSX american launch price : $299

PS2 american launch price: $299.

I expected PS3 to be priced at anything but $599 surely.

Oops, sorry I should’ve not said the obvious, any time you criticize Nintendo you’re trolling. Any time you talk about “shitty overpriced” Sony consoles or “shitboxes” you ‘re discussing.

12. OlderGamer

Well, whatever it is(within reason) I have some trade in stored up at my local Gamestop to preorder the WiiU with.

13. zinc

I’m hoping MS try to steal some thunder by announcing a 360 price cut. As much as I admire Ninty’s catalogue, I really would like to play Halo 4.

14. DrDamn

“I shudder at what the next Sony/MS systems will cost.”

I don’t think either will be silly prices this time. Certainly targeting around $400/£300, and that’s including some alternative tech as standard (kinect/move). It’s clearly the sweet spot launch wise and in the current financial climate designing a new console which meant they couldn’t hit that would be crazy.

Subs models may mitigate this I suppose. Can’t see anything like the silly Sony prices. They clearly showed that didn’t work however you try and justify it.

15. Da Man

Nintendo didn’t overprice Wii because they were at the brink of death. If Wii failed, they would go the way of Dodo.

They overpriced 3ds, and it was struggling up until the pricecut.

They can and will overprice WiiU. Because they’re in the same position Sony were with PS2, and N themselves were with DS.

16. bitsnark

@15 I can certainly see that happening for sure.

17. Telepathic.Geometry

[岩田]こんばんは、任天堂の岩田です。明日13日木曜日の16時より、「Wii U発売に関するプレゼンテーション」をインターネットで放映いたします。Wii U本体の価格や発売日などの情報を発表させていただきます。

Iwata: Good evening, this is Nintendo’s Iwata. Tomorrow, on Thursday the 13th, starting at 4pm we will be showing the Wii U’s launch presentation on the internet. We will be announcing the Wii U’s retail price and launch date (as well as other information).

18. OlderGamer

I mostly agree with you Doc. But after I thought Sony lernt their lesson pricingwise, they release Vita. So I am still wondering.

I think 400usd is decent for a launch. But I don’t think the mass market will buy it till the price comes down. And I am guessing that even at 400usd, the platform holders will lose money per sale. And because of that the price might not come down for a a long time.

Going to be interesting to watch anyhow.

Needless to say, rather excited about tomorrows anouncement from Nintendo.

19. M. K.

Anything higher than 250€ and I won’t even consider it. But seriously, how realistic is a <300 price tag?

20. xino

go for £50 and it will sell like hotcakes…lolz

21. Clupula

@20 – In honesty, as lacking as the system appears to be, I might even buy it at that price. lol