Doom 3 BFG Edition ‘not a rehash’, id not a fan HD collections

Wednesday, 5th September 2012 17:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Doom 3: BFG Edition developer Tim Willits has explained to VG247 why the new version of its 2004 shooter is more than just an HD re-pack. The developer has also made the distinction between his game and HD compilations.

Speaking with VG247, Willits explained, “We’re doing more with Doom 3 BFG than just re-releasing the original. We’ve actually put a heck of a lot of Rage tech into the Doom 3 engine to kind of modernise the game.”

“For instance”, Willits added “we have the Rage input control, checkpoints, we’ve updated the lighting so it’s brighter, we changed the flashlight, tweaked ammo, we’ve put the Rage network layer in to make it run faster at low latency, and we added 3D support, multi-display support for PC.”

“Then we went through every single level of the original and things that were really frustrating or not fun, we made them more enjoyable,” Willits continued, “so it is really kind of cool for us – especially as we all love the Doom franchise – to go back and rework the game in such a way.”

“We’ve done a handful of small things that really have a big impact to kind of re-introduce the franchise to our fans, and to really say hello to some new fans because everyone’s heard of Doom, but you’d be surprised at just how many people haven’t actually played it.” Willits concluded.

On the issue of lay ports, slack re-releases and HD collections, Willits stated, “that’s what I’m keen to talk to all of the reporters about, because you’re right – a number of publishers have put together compilation packs and said to people ‘oh hey, three old games for 20 bucks, this is great!’ But we’ve really worked hard to make this version of Doom 3 more than just a re-release.”

Doom 3: BFG Edition launches October 19 on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. You can read our full interview with Tim Willits later this week.

1. Talkar

I’ve been replaying Doom 3 lately, just so i have it in fresh memory so i can compare and enjoy the Big Fucking Gun edition even more ^^

2. Dave Cook

@2 played it at gamescom mate, it is good :)

3. Talkar

^Of course it is good. God himself is working on it :P (Carmack)

4. Dave Cook

:D

5. Elite_1989

As I already own this and the expansion on Steam, will there be an option for an upgrade for the extra missions or will I have to buy it as a whole game again?

6. Dave Cook

@5 it’s almost entirely overhauled and it’s coming to Xbox 360 only for now, so upgrading won’t be possible. It’s quite different to the original I’ve been told.

7. Talkar

If you really don’t want to reward a developer for their hard work then you could always download the source code, which god made public a while back, and then just add it yourself and work for it yourself ;)

8. KrazyKraut

@6 for xbox only?

9. Talkar

;) http://www.amazon.com/Doom-3-BFG-Edition-Pc/dp/B008E6ZXA4

10. KrazyKraut

and for ps3 too

11. Judicas

It’s getting a full retail release on pc, x360 and ps3. No clue why this article lists it as just a xbla title.

12. Edo

@3 Ha ha ha ha ha…NO!

13. HeavyD-Love

“Doom 3: BFG Edition launches October 19 on Xbox Live Arcade.”

Really??? I thought this was a box/retail release, they showed pictures after the announcement trailer…

14. Talkar

I dare say he is one of the, if not THE most influential person in PC gaming.

Check the amazon link in post number 9…

15. lexph3re

@14 your link says its for pc, ps3, and xbox 360

16. Talkar

Yes, and it is also boxed copies.

17. lexph3re

Just making sure thats what you were talking about

18. Edo

@14 If only that respect was mutual…Rage said otherwise.

19. Judicas

@18 I played Rage on x360 so I didn’t experience the bugs/issues of the pc version but what I did experience was an absolutely fantastic game, with a piss poor ending but still a great experience. Had no clue id were using any of the rage engine/features in this upcoming doom 3 release. Now I’m looking forward to it even more!

20. Talkar

The problem with RAGE was like Judicas said the ending. Every other thing in that game was awesome!
    But to elaborate on why i think he is such an important figure for gaming i have to say that without him we wouldn’t have FPS games. Remember back when Quake and Doom were released and a lot of other FPS games began to emerge? They were all called Quake Clones at the time because the genre FPS didn’t exist yet. And of course there is also the matter of Half-Life was running on the Quake engine, so without the Quake engine we wouldn’t have Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Steam and so on. Those are the primary reasons i respect him so much, there are plenty more, but i think those are the most important ones :P

21. ManuOtaku

I will join the posters that like the Rage game, i did also play it on 360, and for me was great, a great ID game, with their particular touch, top notch gameplay, great graphics, i didnt mind the story, ID is not known for good stories, therefore in my personal point of view i wanst expecting much of it, in that regard (story).

22. absolutezero

Rage was in the awkward position of being both beautiful and hideous at the sametime. Half the game looked like the textures had’nt loaded in like Unreal Engine 3.

I can’t remember a single thing in the last 10 years that Carmack has championed thats influenced anyone. All those stuttering, halting Quakecon keynotes that lead to nothing of note.

Which is quite depressing to be honest.

23. HeavyD-Love

@19 and 20

FINALLY someone else who shares my exact opinion of Rage.

“an absolutely fantastic game, with a piss poor ending”

I’m excited to hear RAGE tech is going into this Doom re-release. I’m buying it day one!!

24. fearmonkey

@23 – I also share that opinion, loved the game’s first two large towns, but the game just went south when you hit the third town, its like they suddenly didn’t care about the game that much, and the final ending was so lackluster and disappointing.

25. Kuwabara

He fucked up rage big time. I enjoyed the the game at times, but i felt the world was void of life, and that the developers left 80% of the game out. Especially after playing borderlands, i couldn’t help thinking how much more needed to be done. They should have atleast made single player dlc for the game.

26. Lord Gremlin

I kinda already have these on PC. Still don’t believe it’s worth re-buying with all the mods I can use for free. I will get BFG edition for PS3 though, I like having the very best games on my both platforms of choice.

The best are, naturally, Doom 1 and 2. Rage felt like a competent game on PS3, we spent many hours in co-op with a friend. But 9 GB HDD install is mental.

27. Ali

Rage was decent. I was truly a fan of the characters model but the generic story,bad ending and somehow uncreative missions held from shining.

That said, Doom 3 and everything related to it, isn’t really the best way to revive interest in the franchise.