Frank Gibeau – “I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience”

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 19:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA Labels president Frank Gibeau believes the firm is “better positioned for success,” and at serving consumers than other companies which he considers “marooned on one platform.”

Speaking in a Q&A as part of the Cloud Gaming USA conference (via Superannuation), which takes place later this month, Gibeau said the strides EA has mace in “creating a platform that connects consumers across multiple devices,” allows the firm to provide a better experience for players as the firm pushes for a connected experience with all of its titles.

“We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers,” said Gibeau. “I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365.

“For all the investments we’ve made in mobile and social, we never abandoned consoles. We are working closely with the console manufacturers and we are very excited about the Gen4 consoles that will be launched in the months and years ahead.”

You can read Gibeau’s entire thoughts on Cloud Gaming and more through the online PDF brochure here.

The 2nd Annual Cloud Gaming USA Conference & Expo takes place in San Francisco, next week, September 11-12..

Speakers include Gibeau, as well as Chris Early, Ubisoft – VP of Digital Publishing, Jason Holtman, Valve – Director of Business Development, and Carsten van Husen, GameForge 4D – CEO.

1. DSB

Wow…..

2. deathm00n

Am I the only who don’t care anymore about EA games? I have only 1 game of them since I bought my ps3 Battlefield 3, it’s good, but not awesome as their old games used to be, the campaign where short, the multiplayer live to it, but I’m more interested in Singleplayer, contrary to what most people seems to like today

3. AHA-Lambda

Unsurprising in the AAA market to be fair =/

@2 – I’m the same especially after Mass Effect is now over.

They have a dozen shooters that are all the same, sports games, a Wow rip off, NfS and Dragon Age.

Yeah I can live without them, methinks.

4. stlthriot

My frustrations with all this online integration is let’s fast forward about 5 years down the road, when these games are becoming phased out for the new ones, and the online functionality is terminated. Lots of these games will fall apart in some ways. Not that I want the online stuff in there but I want to be able to still play my game I purchased at any point in the future.
    I’m all about single player campaigns anyday, I’m tired of all this online play and connectivity and social stuff. Co-op campaign is about all I am interested in.

5. Dragon246

Engrossing Single Player campaign beats even the best multiplayer experiences for me any day. EA has just made itself less appealing to me.

6. Beta

Single player all the way for me, never bought or played a game for it’s multiplayer. They just hold no interest for me.

What’s wrong with a good old-fashioned single player non-socially integrated game? Arkham City, Bioshock 1, inFamous 2, Skyrim, Assasins Creed 2 etc.

7. Edo

There it is!

8. stlthriot

@6 I totally agree!

9. OrbitMonkey

@6, Well if you love SP, your a basement dwelling nerd. But if you like MP your a cool, competitive online bro :)

10. Beta

@9 I don’t have a basement… :)

11. Ireland Michael

@10 An attic?

12. Da Man

That’s some witty humor, #9, second only to jokes about balls.

I agree with Frank Gibeau, these days AAA SP games tend to be either about space marines, zombies, or bishounens. All equally uninspiring. You don’t really evolve the industry by marketing zombies as fungus.

13. Beta

@11 Impossible to play games in, too small and filled with electrical equipment for solar panels.

14. OrbitMonkey

@12, Wern’t the Flood zombie fungus?

15. Da Man

#14 – Nah. It was fungus zombie. Big difference, silly little man.

It had multiplayer and witty AI though :(

16. HighWindXIX

Way to lose sight of the big picture. No wonder Dead Space 3 has co-op. I think I’m ready to take the plunge and officially hate EA. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some online shooters and Dark Souls online is fantastic, but not every game needs it. We need diversity. Single player games can deliver immersion and storytelling way better than anything online can (look at Arkham City, Skyrim, and Deus Ex from last year). Fuck you EA.

17. SplatteredHouse

oh dear. Games should be built according to what’s best for the game and people expectations who would play it, not according to check boxes and how much content can be restricted from the customer.

Annoyed with EA, perhaps. Increasingly, I just feel about them that buying their stuff is a bad idea, because we shouldn’t be enabling them. They’re rendering themselves increasingly irrelevent, by making their stuff typically interchangeable with those of other publishers. ‘Criterion’s “Need for Speed”‘ indeed! xD Good grief, can that FRO.

18. IL DUCE

Holy crap STFU Gibeau…what a moron

SP games are among my favorites and many others so as soon as these morons realize that the better…And I really do like co-op and PvP MP but it can’t be forced…like Dead Space 2′s MP, that shit was terrible

Everyone is still chasing the god damn CoD gravy train…but as an aside, I think eliminating the used game market would lead to companies being more ok greenlighting games that are only SP, which I’d be totally fine with…I don’t buy used games

19. manamana

EA is one of two problems why this industry is full of shit. The second problem is Activision.

20. viralshag

Autolog for the NFS games is fantastic. I think EA has done a pretty good job this gen.

21. Christopher Jack

Yet on my Steam account of almost 50 games, only one appears to be published by EA, BFBC2.

22. GwynbleiddiuM

Has the world gone mad? Does he expect public applause for being an utter moron? He, hooray, ladies and gentlemen I present to you the most astonishing idiot alive, Frank Gibeau!

23. Lord Gremlin

Good thing I’ve no interest in any upcoming EA games. Now we also know for sure that Dragon age 3 will suck even more than 2.

24. viralshag

Yeah, I hate all these online components and being connected… take me back to the good old days where I wasn’t connected to anyone. These days having that choice is a real downer.

Now let me go play some games on Steam where I’m constantly connected to other people and complain when games aren’t on Steam and I won’t have access to my friends list.

25. TheBlackHole

@5 – THIS. Couldn’t agree more.

26. stealth

EA needs to go bankrupt and he needs to be fired