DmC: ‘We understand why you got mad’ – Capcom

Friday, 24th August 2012 11:38 GMT By Dave Cook

DmC: Devil May Cry takes the series in a new direction without watering down the series’ core fundamentals of combat, pacing and those ever-addictive red orbs. Capcom US producer Alex Jones has explained to VG247 why it understands fan’s initial reaction to Dante’s redesign and why it wanted to tone down the corny jokes and ‘campy’ tone of the original games.

Speaking with VG247 at gamescom last week, Jones discussed the way fan reaction to Dante’s revamp seems to have cooled considerably over time, “Yeah, now it’s fine, but I could have done without having to fear for my life [laughs]. There was always going to be people who saw new Dante and who didn’t want it, and that’s fine. We understand – I understand – that people are passionate about it, so this isn’t a bad thing.”

Jones added, “Being angry about it – yeah I get that – but we always said, ‘when you see the game and you play it, trust me, you’re going to understand that we were doing the right thing’. Now that’s happening, so yeah it’s vindication, but it’s not like smugly sitting back and going ‘ha ha’.”

“It’s more like, ‘We understand why you guys had doubts, and we knew that we had to prove this to you, and we were happy to do it.’ That was our responsibility.”

On the subject of new Dante’s brash demeanour, finger flipping and numerous f-bombs, Jones commented, “One of the things about making a western game, we wanted to make the tone a little less campy, and a little more darker. It’s still got a sense of humour, but it’s just more appropriate in the world Dante is now in, where’s it’s less acceptable to make corny jokes and better to make darker ones.”

“He’s still irreverent, he’s still – at the end of the day – the guy who will kick your ass and drop a cool one liner afterwards.”

You can read our full DmC: Devil May Cry interview here.

1. mojo

dante looks like a faggot!
    damage is done..

2. Dave Cook

Why do looks matter if the game plays like a member of the core series? Not having a go, it’s just always confused me.

3. Da Man

The new Dante is a living proof as to why you should never do crystal meth.

4. Maximum Payne

@3 Heisenberg disagree.

5. ps3fanboy

the new dante just dont look cool, he just looks like a poster boy for a gay magazine… it just put off the fans of the game series, they are not interesting in starring at a gay looking guy ass for 10 hours gameplay.

6. Erthazus

So Western game is about F-bomb, finger flipping, characters that like smoking weed or something?

Also, Dante looks like a hipster, gay or faggot.

@Dave Cook,
    “Why do looks matter if the game plays like a member of the core series?”

are you sure about that? So far it’s a much slower experience IMO

7. YoungZer0

@1: Faggot, really? What are you, 12?

@5: How much do you … exactly know about gay magazines?

And i find it ironic that you seem to be bothered with this Dante, but never with the Dante before. I mean just look at Dante in DMC3, he looks like a modern boy band member. That haircut is just damn awful.

@6: Hey, 12 year old, how do you know it’s a slower experience when you didn’t have the chance to play it? Also, 12 year old, i don’t remember Dante smoking any weed at all. Also, 12 year old, you might want to do some research if you continue to use the word “hipster”. Because Dante couldn’t be further from a hipster.

12 year old.

8. Ali

Man I like the designs and the artistic direction of this game better than any of the other DMCs, but why should it be Devil May Cry ? Why should it be Dante ?

I agree Dante has always looked bad to me.. I hated hm so much in DMC3 , but he had its fans and all so why would you change tha drastically.

Ninja Theory deserves a better opportunity than to be put in such a situation.

9. bitsnark

“Hipster, gay or faggot”.

Hmmmm.

Time for some ban warnings methinks.

10. The_Red

Super awesome comment. Also, extra credits for DMC3 mention as Dante in that game looked way worse and yet all some people like to say is “OMG, new DMC killed Dante lolz”.

11. lexph3re

I think it’s funny people say this Dante looks gay and not the old leather-ed up bare chest dante. Or the DMC2 dante that had a COWBOY alternate costume with tight jeans.

This Dante actually looks like a cautious teen to me. I’ve seen these type of kids wreck hell over in the states. I like the look, much less “Gay” to me to be honest.

12. YoungZer0

@9: Yeah, i don’t understand why vg247 let this go unpunished.

@10: My pleasure.

13. Dave Cook

@12 Yep, I’m not happy with language like that. One for Pat however.

14. Da Man

Oops.

Erzaban, at last?

15. lexph3re

Not sure why people are complaining about change when you had a major character like this http://andrewhemphill.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/snake2.jpg

change to this

whoops…. I mean this

16. OlderGamer

I don’t see any personal attacks going on. Gotta keep in mind different things are ok to say and not ok to say in different parts of the world, etc. Just saying.

17. Da Man

If I openly stated everything that is okay to say here on this british website, you of all people wouldn’t believe his eyes and asked for a permaban, I assure you..

18. Hcw87

And people wonder why CoD allways stays the same? People can’t handle change.

19. ManuOtaku

I dont mind the look at all, i dont have a problem with having a good looking male character on a game,even a teenager one, when in movies good looking actors wear make-up to enhance their natural assets, and we males have no problem with this, why is this a problem in games?

20. AuntiiiMartiii

I’ve used this website for a long time, and I really like it. I check it literally everyday. “Gotta keep in mind different things are ok to say and not ok to say in different parts of the world, etc. Just saying”. Yeah. That makes slurring the word gay around acceptable doesn’t it.

Sort it out tbh.

21. Gheritt White

Homophobic slurs? On VG247? REALLY?

Please can somebody ban those clowns?

22. lexph3re

ALLOW THE UNANIMOUS DICTATORSHIP BEGIN ON FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND EXPRESSION…

Wait is freedom of speech globally acknowledge.

23. Spider Law

….bunch of cry babies…seriously

24. Stephany Nunneley

Right. The next time I see someone use the word faggot or imply someone is, or use any other derogatory language on here, they will be given a 30-day ban. I am sick of it, we’re all sick of it.

Act like adults or go somewhere were bigoted, racist, and homophobic slurs are welcome.

It will be tolerated no longer. There is a difference between freedom of speech and being an ass and insulting a demographic of the populous.

25. bitsnark

“ALLOW THE UNANIMOUS DICTATORSHIP BEGIN ON FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND EXPRESSION…”

No, just dictatorship on people who think its cool to vomit homophobic slurs into the comments threads.

They don’t deserve any better.

@24 – Perfect.

26. NeoSquall

@7 I have played it at the Captivate and it was not a slow experience.
    If some videos give that impression is only because the developer wanted to show the new graphics.

27. Dave Cook

@26 yeah its fast and there are tons of moves to unleash. The combat is great.

28. lexph3re

Well of course to some people it’s wrong but just because I’m black and hate the word N*gger doesn’t mean I’m going to force someone from using it. If they use it fine by them. If they direct it towards me you get a warning do it again then your blatantly looking for a reaction. Then Ban, I think people are giving to much merit to these words and then delivering forced expectations on top of people to acquiesce to your demands.

Just 2 cent’s in the well

29. OwnedWhenStoned

@28 I think I agree with @24.

My 2cents: Ban ‘em straight away.

Of course this isn’t altruism here, it’s pure selfishness on my part. I just want to see less posts that look like they were made by an over sugared 11 year old.

I used to come here a lot, but I noticed the childishness reaching epidemic proportions, so I find I’m here less and less.

30. ManuOtaku

Well i dont think a ban straight ahead is the right thing to do, first do a warning like here and then if they keep continuing with those, then proceed with the ban, if i dont recall wrong this wasnt established on the thread done by Pat with the new Rules for the site, i think it only mentioned not using insults torwads commenters, but it didnt mention the non use of this words on things and characters like videogames, or movies or something else.

31. monkeygourmet

Back on topic…

I can understand people being annoyed by the change in look.

If they thought the gameplay was good enough to stand up on it’s own without the Devil May Cry ‘brand’ being attached to it, why not just make a new game rather than potentially alienating people from the brand alltogether.

It seems like a bad business choice, kind of like handing Resident Evil franchise over (and we all know how that turned out…)

Why not like:

Make a REALLY good Devil May Cry sequel (not like 4)

and a REALLY good new cannon…

Surely that way you open up potentially new ground while at the same time satisfying your existing fan base?

I have yet to see any gameplay that doesn’t look decidedly average if it didn’t have the DMC name on it…

If it was called, ‘Demon Slayer’ or something similar, people wouldn’t even look twice at it IMO…

32. Stephany Nunneley

@28 It has nothing to do with giving words less power by ignoring them – at least on here. That is a whole other subject. It’s just against the commenting rules Pat posted ages ago – for one thing. And also, I don’t care how it’s used – if anyone used the word N****r on here – for ANY reason – I would go absolutely mental on them. – This part of the subject is closed. Please get back on topic.

33. lexph3re

I guess it’s just a personal thing Steph. I don’t care for slander anymore, it doesn’t change anything at the end of the day. You can ban him from the site but he’ll just say it elsewhere. That’s who he is, not saying it’s right just saying the person,word, and situation doesn’t require my energy

34. TheWulf

Corny and campy is bad? To be honest, about the only thing I disliked about Devil May Cry was its treatment of women at some points. Though sadly this seems to be a theme with a lot of Japanese entertainment – so I guess I can’t blame them entirely for that.

It’s Metroid Syndrome, really. In Metroid Prime, Samus was a really strong lady, and a great protagonist, and this had a lot to do with her Western developer (Retro Studios). Then, Other M saw Metroid’s return to Japan… and what happens to Samus? She becomes a weepy, emotional, scared girl who freaks out at the sight of Ripley and needs her daddy to save her.

If there’s anything that needs to be Westernised in regards to Japanese games these days, it is their treatment of women, since it is offputting. And I know I’m not the only one who sees this because it was mentioned in loads of interviews of Other M. Even Zero Punctuation brought it up (which perhaps made that episode the most intelligent of all ZP episodes).

So that was really my only issue. Camp and corniness? I love both. Take them away and you’re getting further and further away from what I want, Capcom. I don’t want gritty realism, with anger, angst, and emo darkness. If I wanted that there are about a billion films or books I could turn to. So no… that’s not what I’d personally want from you at all. But I see that this new DmC isn’t aimed at me.

That’s fine, I’ll just keep the old ones.

It would be interesting though to see a non-indie developed Japanese game which keeps the camp and corniness elements in place without putting a marked dominant/submissive sexual divide between the two genders.

35. Ireland Michael

@33 They can say it in whatever tiny little hole of the Internet they wants. As the owners and staff of this site though, they are entirely in their place to demand that that place not be here.

36. TheWulf

Also… I see there’s been some homophobia in this topic, too. That’s a pity. Not surprising, but a pity. Regressive attitudes like that should be left back in the days of Sodom and Gamorrah, where they belong, as they’re not representative of the modern day. Grow up and accept that people can be different whilst still being equal and deserving of equal representation.

That’s all I’ll say about that. Though I do find that homophobia comes from the same nasty, foul smelling melting pot that gender inequality does, it’s all the same sort of thing. And it dooooes bother me. Just a bit.

37. OrbitMonkey

Who doesn’t like Faggots?

38. bitsnark

Good point actually.

They go down a treat with waffles and gravy too.

39. Gadzooks!

#37

Throw em in with mash, mushy peas and drown in onion gravy. OMNOMNOMNOM!

40. Beta

Seriously, homophobic slurs? It’s the 21st century for goodness sake grow up!

Anyway I’m somewhat looking forward to this, didn’t really play the original series though so the new Dante controversy just whooshed straight over my head :)

41. AHA-Lambda

@2 – because people are invested in the mythos and so this doesn’t seem like a true DMC game to them. Kind of like how people get pissed over Splinter Cell changing direction, it may still be a good action game but it’s not splinter cell. Similar idea anyway.

42. TD_Monstrous69

I got so tired of people whining, bitching, and complaining about the new DmC a long time ago. Because it showed just some of the most vitiriol, childish, and ignorant behavior I’ve ever seen. It was something I didn’t think the gaming community was capable of, but wow, was I proven wrong, and to anyone who thinks that’s a good thing, hang your head in shame! For it’s ignorance like this that’s keeping games from being more than just the same crap, but with a new number or subtitle on the box, and guess what, like it or not, DmC: Devil May Cry is that title, and it looks awesome.

43. monkeygourmet

But the gameplay looks almost identical…

It might as well be a new skin for DMC…

They have changed the graphics but the gameplay looks almost exactly the same. That’s why a lot of people are pissed.

If it was a reboot they could have attempted something slightly different (tomb raider for example), retaining some core mechanics but introducing an entirely new style of play.

The only thing they seem to have done is change the story and graphical style, please show me some gameplay that completly makes this game live up to its ‘reboot’ moniker…

(waits for you to link me the Inception style QuickTime events videos…)

It’s a joke that you don’t think this is ‘more of the same crap’…

If you enjoy it fine, just don’t try and insinuate its original or stepping away from the line…

44. Bojangles

“It might as well be a new skin for DMC…”

That about sums it up.

The only other Ninja Theory game I’ve played is Enslaved and I thought the protagonists looked absolutely fantastic. Striking, stylish and quite original. The game needed to move more fluidly and feel tighter though. Hopefully Ninja Theory are on top of that aspect as, if DMC feels anything less than butter-smooth then it’s just not going to play well.

As for what Dante looks like, I like it. Not a dudebro, not stupidly over-stylised like, say, a JRPG character might be.

And these comments have made me think, y’know what, what if the character of Dante is homosexual or bisexual? I can’t imagine it would have any meaningful bearing on the gameplay of the game. But what a fantastic precedent to set for such a high-profile character.

45. Ireland Michael

@44 I loved Heavenly Sword, bar those stupid sixaxis sections Sony forced them to put into the game. Check it out if you need an idea of what these guys can do.

46. ManuOtaku

#45 the only bad thing about it was that it was a short game, i didnt even feel bothered by the sixaxis, heck i even played lair and didnt complain ;)

47. Gheritt White

I for one would LOVE a bisexual protagonist. I think the Prince in Prince of Persia was secretly gay, anyway.

48. TheBlackHole

Erm, Ninja Theory make really good games; this looks no different.

I don’t give a damn what the main character looks like – I’ll wait to experience the whole game before I decide whether or not I like their interpretation.

Also, +100 for Stephany – kickin’ ass and takin’ names.

49. monkeygourmet

‘interpretation’… Exactly…

They should use this word more often in videogames instead of ‘reboot’…

I think that would save ALOT of wasted time explaining design choices and looking like their making excuses about them.

Good term to use, it would help 90% of people trying to explain different direction rather than reboot.

Reboot suggests an overhaul which is generally not the case..

Batman begins was a reboot…

Using the same protagonist but mixing up the humour with a more dark backdrop….

A lot of games simply change the graphic style, that is an interpretation.

50. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 Dave you remember the outrage of fans during the MGS2 after realizing they’re playing a completely new character than snake after Tanker mission? It’s just like that it’s even more outrageous because we’re not talking about a new character here, we are faced with re-introduction of an already popular character that’s EMO-nized and it’s bitter to many of the series fans.

51. Da Man

Oh no, a generic angsty, psychotic anime twat turned into something substantial. Outrageous. How dare they ruin my reality.

Like I give enough of a shit to spend hours on this anyway. Unless there’s a CTF mode or something.

52. Kuwabara

idiots, the damage has been done since the end of devil may cry 1. I’m up for a new change , hopefully it’s what dmc2 should have been.