Activision wants to bring all its brands to mobile, promises big marketing drive

Friday, 24th August 2012 12:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Activision is upping its mobile strategy, according to Greg Canessa, the publisher’s vice president of mobile. CVG reports that Activision is looking back at its legacy of titles in determining which games to bring to mobile, and how it will use its huge marketing capacity to make you pay attention to them.

Canessa laid out Activision’s mobile ambition, “We have a rich thirty-year history from the Atari days to the Blizzard merger. We have about 350 different brands and IPs to work with. That’s legacy IP, that’s triple-A IP and that’s licences with other companies.”

On the issue of particular titles, Canessa couldn’t say much, but he did highlight the advantage of having an extensive pot of existing IP ripe for the mobile, “The creation of new IP is expensive, and when you consider how much money we spend on marketing our IP, we can apply that halo affect to our mobile properties.”

“That gives us a tremendous advantage,” he added, “You are going to continue to see us take advantage of our big marketing campaigns to help our mobile products too.”

Thanks CVG.

1. PenTaFH

Ugh. It is getting to the point where I am almost literally getting sick of Activision and their marketing campaigns.

Just take a look at the costs of development for a game, and the costs Activision make for marketing it. I don’t have specific numbers at hand and for once Wikipedia’s no help, but iirc correctly, Modern Warfare 2′s marketing budget was at least twenty times as large as the dev budget.

And, so, what are we getting from Activision the last few years?
    In a lot of people (including me) their opinions subpar games like Guitar Hero 5 and 6, 007: Blood Stone, Singularity, Call of Duty since after MW1, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (and I have no high hopes for Pandaria), Timeshift, I could go on for a bit.

Honestly, the last games from Activision which had me positively surprised were Call of Duty 4 and Blur.

But the rest of the world eats it all up, because of the huge marketing strategies backing the inspirationless assembly-line games. And so other people also start making those games (Homefront, anyone?).

Activision should literally decimate their marketing money, and spend it on development. Next, let the games advertise themselves by throwing betas and demo’s on the net, and maybe throw out some review disks to the press. When the games get the time and money required, they will be good, and soon, the internet will be crawling with praise for your game. That’s how it used to be done, way back when. It’s how I got hooked on Beyond Good & Evil, and vanilla WoW. I bought Morrowind because everyone around me was near hysterical about the game.

I will quit my ranting now. Sorry ^^

2. OlderGamer

“But the rest of the world eats it all up, because of the huge marketing strategies backing the inspirationless assembly-line games. And so other people also start making those games”

Spot on. Welcome to the modern age of trip A console gaming. Personaly I think it is hurting the industry, esp where consoles are concerned. For fresh and inovative games, there is a lot of smart stuff on Mobile and PC, esp where indies are concerned. On consoles, the same worn out franchises are back year after year.

I am hoping that the next gen ushers in some freshness. I think it will, lest for a little while.

3. Da Man

Yeah, how could it be that so many people just want more of the same, it must be their stupidity or ignorance.

Unbelievable.

4. OlderGamer

30% year on year decline. Might just be something to it DM.

5. DSB

@4 Little of which is actually contributed by Activision. They’re the only major publisher making any real money.

You can’t have it both ways.

6. freedoms_stain

Activision, I stopped paying attention to your marketing after I bought Modern Warfare 2.

7. viralshag

@ OG, Isn’t that just a 30% YoY decline in hardware? Because I think games such as the Modern Warfare series have still increased in sales in each new release.

I did edit to say I think as I’m not actually sure.

8. OlderGamer

DSB, I wasn’t talking about acti specificly. I was thinking in generalities(I know a No-No on a website lol).

And Viral, it is software and hardware in general. It has been violitol for roughly 4 years. Sorry, too lazy to hunt down the collection of links.

CoD is doing just fine. Isn’t everyone else excited for Blops 2 this fall/winter?

9. DSB

@8 But your point was that people were getting tired of big ad campaigns, and buying less games as a result, wasn’t it? Activision runs the biggest ones in the business, and they’re the only ones who are doing well for themselves :P

I think we both agree on the bad habits of the industry, but the facts are kinda disparaging when it comes to what people prefer.

10. viralshag

@9 / OG, That’s kinda what I was getting at too. Despite what people say about Acti’s ad campaigns, it does seem to work for them.

And I know gaming is in decline. I just wouldn’t have thought it’s anything out of the ordinary at this stage in the current life cycle of the hardware.

11. ManuOtaku

#10 agree, especially if we compare that the hardware in reality did experience an increase this gen, if you look at the combine number from the 3 manufacturers, therefore a decrease right now is not that bad considering the big increase at the whole generation cycle.

p.s Iam talking about hardware because OG mentioned hardware and software too.

12. OlderGamer

“But your point was that people were getting tired of big ad campaigns, and buying less games as a result, wasn’t it? Activision runs the biggest ones in the business, and they’re the only ones who are doing well for themselves”

Nope, not really. Just saying it was sad. Also saying that in general a hype over substance is bad for the industry. And I believe that to be one of the key reasons for the decline.

I don’t recall a massive drop off in sales during the year before a new gen launch before. A smaller dip, sure, but not a massive one. And tht dip ussualy follows an anouncment and preview of new hardware. Also like to point out, we aren’t in that last year before a new gen yet. Sales have been off for a few years(generaly speaking), they peaked in 2008(I believe if I remember the links right). And we are still about 2 years out.

Sometimes people forget, the next gen isn’t on shelves this Oct/Nov. WiiU prolly will be, but because Nintendo operate within their own world/bubble, I don’t count them in the same gen lifecycles as MS/Sony. That isn’t a put down mind you, they just don’t follow the same cycles and rules anymore.

As for Acti, they are ridding two things and two things alone:

One is Blizzard.

The other is CoD.

Again not a put down, kudos to them actualy.

But if you look past that it puts things into a different perspective(again in general terms, it makes them very average).

Me:

“Welcome to the modern age of trip A console gaming.”

…on the importance of marketing muscle. Was more a stab of console Trip A space then just a targeted jab at Acti.

13. Dragon246

@OG
    I think your criticism is mis-directed. No matter how much anyone hates AAA games, they are still the most fun games for most people. Freshness and everything aside, a game needs to be fun , COD,AC, UC definitely is just that for many people. I don’t see how that can hurt the industry.