FF13: Next Lightning chapter to be revealed Sept 1st

Wednesday, 22nd August 2012 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 13 developer Square-Enix has revealed that the Lightning saga will continue with a new game that will be unveiled September 1st during the developer’s Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary celebrations.

Square-Enix launched a new site for the reveal, along with the title, “A Storm Gathers”.

The site also reads, “Key members of the FINAL FANTASY XIII development team including the Producer, Director and Art Director, are in preparations to present new information about the direction of Lightning’s story.”

The reveal is due September 1st, presumably over at the new site, although details are sparse.

What do you think? Are they milking FF13 dry, or are you up for more of Lightning and co?

1. KrazyKraut

Mh. For me FF10 and FF13 were the weakest games in the franchise, and somehow the sequels of both games were better. But I think a FF13-3 would be somehow…exaggerated. Its like with AssCreed (more or less): 1 was nice, 2 very good, brotherhood a big add-on and AC:R was…you had the feeling that yourself getting tired of playing the old Ezio.

I mean when its like they did with Parasite Eve 1, where they tested new tech for FF8 then they should release it. FF13-2 was very nice, but I hope it stops after ff13-3.

2. Hunam

I think at the moment they are just experimenting with gameplay and production pipelines to figure out how to make games that are good, varied and don’t require all of their staff for 4 years to make. Sure FF13-2 was just FF13 meets Chrono Break (it’s so obvious the design is from the oft rumored and obviously dead third Chrono game) but it’s finally pushing Square into rethinking how they make games.

3. Dragon246

13 and 13-2 were different from each other. I hope they strike the right balance with the next game.

4. Gigabomber

Onion article here.

5. Deacon

Tonnes of hate on their FB page… about 1% of it constructive with the rest consisting primarily of ‘I am no longer a fan’, ‘remake FFVII now or else’, and ‘I hate Lightning’.. etc, etc.

People only ever see the negatives when it comes to XIII. It had some great qualities. I’m still enjoying XIII-2, and while I have criticisms of my own, I’d still rather they continue to produce new titles than resort to raping their ‘classics’. There’s plenty of time for that down the road.

I definitely think we’re going to see a new direction or mechanic introduced into FFXIII-3. I was sceptical about the monster-taming in XIII-2, but it really worked. So I’m very curious to see what they do with the conclusion.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 The gameplay of FFXIII-2 was solid, but good lord, what a clusterfuck of a story…

7. Erthazus

FFXIII-2 was ok. better than the first game, but had issues with balancing and decent bosses.

8. Deacon

Yeah I agree Michael. I admire their ability to create vivid beautiful worlds, but they definitely need a hand in the story/plot department.

I’m a bit worried that the next entry is going to be some crazy RPG-action hybrid with only 1 playable character ; \

We’ll find out soon enough.

9. ManuOtaku

Well if they made improvements in XIII-3, like they did with XIII-2, then i think it will be a great game, no doubt, and i dont mind getting sequels when they keep evolving and improving those games, why i dont like is the same game over and over again with nothing new added, and this is not the case with XIII final fantasy series.