“Which new PS3?”: Sony exec shrugs off PS3-4000 chatter

Monday, 20th August 2012 10:53 GMT By Dave Cook

SCEE CEO Jim Ryan has skirted around talk of a long-rumoured super slim PS3 model when probed at gamescom. Sony was rumoured to unveil the new model at its conference but it didn’t materialise.

Speaking with CVG, the Sony exec was asked why the PS3-4000 wasn’t mentioned at Sony’s pre-gamescom conference last week, to which he replied, “Which new PS3″, before laughing it off.

When asked why the new model wasn’t mentioned, Ryan replied, “Well, we had so much to talk about on the software side, and that’s all we wanted to talk about.”

The denial follows rumours that Sony had planned to unveil the PS3-4000 on August 14.

The alleged console is said to feature 16GB of flash memory, along with rumoured 250GB and 500GB models.

1. OlderGamer

So three new SKUs? Sorta of a barebones “arcade” style, a 160GB and a 250gb models?

Call me crazy, but I would like just one sku. I wouldn’t even mind allowing attachable HDDs, that allow them to be customizably upgradable.

I really liked the PS model with Mem cards. And I like the atachable HDDs for xb360. I thought that was a good idea. The trouble with one base model is that with the focus shifting to such strong digital downloads storage is a huge issue. HDDs should be like those old mem cards where we can switch them on the fly and use them as shelf storage if need be.

2. DrDamn

It would be really nice if storage was more portable next time round. I plan to go largely digital so being able to detach and take my game collect round a friends place would be great. 360 detachable drives are ok but not as portable as they could be with a sticky-out connector.

3. Dragon246

Price is everything . If they price it below 200$ then we are talking.

4. OlderGamer

And the next gen needs mobile accounts too. You have to be able to port your games and account and have them be plug and play quickly. Having to wait for the profile to download before you can play stinks, xb360 speaking. Would be nice if that was faster.

Maybe a cloud based system would make it faster. I don’t know.

5. sg1974

There was never any evidence it was going to be announced at Gamescom. However, soon after its existence leaked, Sony announced they were attending a Latin America game show (for the first time?) …..

6. TheOutcastWolf

@3 That’s apples mate, have you ever saw how good a Sony console sell on its first months due to price?