Dragon Age 3: Multiplayer, plot & art revealed – report

Monday, 20th August 2012 11:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Age 3 developer BioWare is rumoured to be polling select fans to learn more about where they want the series to go next. According to a new leak, the game will be set in Orlais, will feature co-op multiplayer and will star an Inquisitor.

The above logo has been leaked over at the BioWare Social forums, along with a slew of plot information. The details were allegedly revealed to a select few who have been canvassed for opinon on the new project.

According to the leak, Dragon Age 3 will focus on the continent of Thedas, and an ongoing civil war in Orlais. The player will then be asked to take up the role of an Inquisitor to travel to the French-themed land to investigate the cause of the conflict.

The full plot synopsis is said to read, “A portal between the worlds unleashes hords of demons in the land, civil wars rip apart nations and the corruption is limitless. Someone is behind the shadows, drawing the threads which destroy the world. Time has come for the Inquisition.”

“Take the Inquisitor’s cloak and lead the only force able of bringing light into the darkness. Choose the direct method and gather your armies, send spies into the shadows or engage in a political war, make friends and use your connections indirectly: it is up to you how you lead the inquisition.”

“But you’ll have to take lead of it from the beginning. Make your player a rogue, warrior or mage and set up your crew from up to ten complex companions to lead them against those who attack you by systematically spying on, revealing and destroying them.”

Gamers polled were also asked to choose from a list of potential Dragon Age 3 subtitles:

• Dragon Age 3: The Breach
  • Dragon Age 3: Exarch
  • Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
  • Dragon Age 3: Inquisitor
  • Dragon Age 3: Apocrypha

Here’s a screen grab of the survey:

Polled gamers were also asked to rate a number of possible companions by scoring character art. Check out the art in our gallery below:

Cheers StrategyInformer and GAF.

1. KrazyKraut

Including D1DLC. That’s for sure.

2. Maximum Payne

Coop multiplayer.
    FINALLY !
    Its safe bet that next Mass Effect will also have coop.

3. MisterMonday

Logo not Bioware official. Created by some guy called Centinel_7 apparently. https://twitter.com/Centinel_7/status/235185788839673856

4. YoungZer0

Yes! They are keeping the art-style!

5. absolutezero

Dragon Age 3 : Don’t Bother.

I would buy that!

Not really though. Im glad to see that the team working on DA has continued to go in the opposite direction from what made the first game a great seller and well loved by both critics and a fanbase. It might have had its faults but it was a nice large, long and rewarding RPG.

6. The_Red

YAY! Because we all know the only thing that made DA2 crap compared to DA1 was lack of co-op multiplayer. Seriously, first Dead Space and now this…

7. Froseidon

@5 They have given us relatively little information and you’re already saying it is bad? Wow… Some people…

P.S – @6 People have been wanting Co-op in DA for a while now.

8. roadkill

Everything sounds awesome! Except for those graphics.. and day1DLC of course. :)

9. DSB

@7 I’m pretty sure people know what to expect from Bioware by now.

10. ManuOtaku

It seems to me that the graphics seems cell shaded, if thats the case i will buy it for sure, cannot get enough of cell shaded games.

11. Kabby

No clue what to do? Beg your fans for guidance.

12. The_Red

I’m not so sure. Yes, there are people that wanted co-op but there are also a lot of others like me who prefer to play their RPGs solo (Unless it’s something like Dark / Demon’s Souls where the game still feels solo even with a few other players in your world).

13. Phoenixblight

I am all for a co op RPG and I am liking the art style. Just have to see how it all comes together.

14. TheWulf

Sigh. This sounds typically plodding. They tend to ask the wrong people for opinions on this, as this sounds like your usual fantasy purist pap. It’s not going to be nearly as interesting as what they had going on in Mass Effect. This is going to be something to skip over, then.

And the Inquisition, really? I’m not sure who thought that playing as the Inquisition would be a good idea. And really, this is just historical mix-arounds dressed up in a very faint, transparent fantasy veil. It certainly doesn’t sound like they’re pressing themselves to create something truly exotic and unusual. At least not to me.

I wish someone would attempt something like Uru: Ages Beyond Myst or Mask fo the Betrayer again. Why do we fetishise the medieval age of Europe so much?

Siiiiiiigh.

Fuck.

I was hoping they might have learned something from their prior outings.

They didn’t learn a damned thing. I guess Dragon Age just isn’t the IP for me. I’m not a boring person whose scope of understanding when it comes to fantasy is so profoundly garden variety and boilerplate.

To other fantasy developers out there: Please, please, please stop fetishising near-reality middle-ages Europe as a fantasy setting. Please. Variety. For the love of all that is wonderful and visionary. If you have fertile imaginations, plough them. Plough them, wrack them, USE them. Give us something fresh.

If I see one more middle-ages Europe based fantasy setting, I may scream.

15. Froseidon

@12 – Want to lay it solo? Don’t play co-op, simple as ;) As a matter of fact, I do prefer solo as well, I’d rather trust an AI over an idiot any day but I am curious as both me and a friend love the DA series and both said that we wanted co-op.

16. Clupula

You know, it’s so simple. All they have to do is just go back and do what they did on Origins and they could save the franchise. Instead, they insist on making it more and more generic with each outing.

17. Phoenixblight

I prefer the combat mechanics, the art, the dialog system of DA2 over origins. DAO was too bland in those departments and the brown ambient color was a total buzz kill.

18. DSB

@16 And then they’re gonna mothball it for 5-10 years once it burns out, and reboot it as a shooter.

Stay classy! :P

19. Clupula

@17 – I played the first hour of Dragon Age 2 when I had a free month of Playstation Plus and I hated every single change I saw. And I absolutely loved Origins. I was hoping DA3 would be a return to that, but oh well, that’s one less franchise I ever have to spend money on again.

20. Phoenixblight

I have over 8 playthroughs with 60-80 hours each for DAo. I enjoyed the amount of content that was in the game excluding the Veil areas thankfully I was playing on the PC so I could just get a mod that removes that part.

The only thing Origins had going for me was the content and the choices that reflect within the game. That was it. I was not a fan of the combat system or having the catatonic protagonist. Why transition the camera to the player if the character doesn’t emote? That really bothered me.

21. M. K.

I liked the first DA, I loved the second. The gameplay was fun, the skilltrees had a good amount of skills and the dialogue system was biowares best imho. They just need to get more stuff in DA3, a bigger world and a better story, then I’m in for an other ride.

22. Clupula

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who felt the Veil sections were tedious. They were my one and only complaint about DA:O.