Larian Studios – still no word on who stole PCs at gamescom

Saturday, 18th August 2012 19:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Swen Vincke, founder of Larian Studios, has said the firm still has no leads on who made off with two PCs containing builds of Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin at gamescom.

>Speaking with Joystiq, Vincke said while the firm hasn’t heard anything yet, he hopes “it’s a construction worker who doesn’t care about what’s on the [hard drive].”

Vincke said the PCs also contained files on the firm’s unannounced title.

“Right now, the damage is just the loss of a PC – if he puts everything that was on there online, then that could be bad, depending on what happens with the builds/content of the HDD,” he said.

Vincke said the firm has received a few emails starting that all the games were online, but the claims turned out to be false.

A $5,000 reward for information leading to the return Larians property has been offered.

1. TheWulf

Sigh. People can be dicks. I hope this doesn’t get online.

Even if it does, as a Larian fan, I won’t be touching them with a barge pole. In fact, I’ll most likely still be buying multiple copies of Dragon Commander for friend and I when it does arrive.

2. Sadismek

You keep on breaking records, don’t you? That must be your shortest post so far!

3. CycloneFox

I am also not able to skimp on the length of my posts…

And yes, thats unbelievably arrant of the peron/s who did it. I wish the best of luck to Larian Studios.

4. Sylrissa

I’m passed being surprised at how scummy people can be, I hope they track the PC’s down, or at least the builds don’t end up online.

I’m looking forward to these 2 titles too, so it was awful when I first read the news about this happening, especially since I think it’s good to see them going back to their older style with Original Sin, despite still enjoying dragon knight saga.

5. Old MacDonald

Details of an unannounced title, eh? Now that IS interesting. :)

Anyway, hope that there’s no beta leaks or anything. I mean, info leaks are one thing, that could even be good if it kept the press interested in games they wouldn’t otherwise have covered, but having an early, buggy beta-version of a game leak out and potentially give curious downloaders a bad impression of the games would be very bad.

6. TheWulf

I’m not actually sure what you’re trying to do, there. But it’s fascinating. I’ve made as many short posts as long ones. Do you have a selective memory? Are you purposefully choosing to ignore my many short posts? Or do you only note my name if I make a long one?

Either way, it’s interesting. I think though, given the nature of your post, I’m going to put this down to that being the first you’ve noticed of many short posts that I’ve made.

Do people really ejaculate upon noticing I’ve made a short post?

Is this a thing, now?

7. voxelman

Now that is real piracy

I doubt they will ever get the systems back TBH, sadly

8. roadkill

Thieves should be hanged by their ballz!

In the public square!

Oh and it should all be televised.

:D

9. RedBirdiii

How can someone get out with thoses PCs without being noticed?
    And there were no cameras in that place? Wow! In what year are we?
    This is truley puzzling!

10. silkvg247

It’s quite difficult to lug out two PC’s so I guess it was an overnight theft.

OR.. and here’s the cynic in me.. this is all just a publicity stunt. Great way to freely advertise upcoming games.

11. viralshag

@Silk, I’m kinda with you on the cynical side of things. It was, as far as I’m aware, the only theft at the expo? There was no security? No cameras? Absolutely no one around to see it?

If it was “just a construction worker”, then he’s pulled off a perfect crime so far? Something just doesn’t add up to me.

12. Dragon246

@10,
    Yup, Something is fishy.
    There were easily more valuable things than this at the expo.
    WATSON!! Bring my glasses. We have a case to solve.

13. Uncontested

Its an event center.. Security cameras focused on the event floor are going to be non existent. If there is any sort of Security they’re sitting at the front door or asleep or even the ones who snatched the obviously unsecured PC. Its really not that unheard of.

Only reason this is news is because its a video game company with some notability.

14. Sadismek

@6 Did I actually say this is your *first* short post? I have clearly stated that this is “your shortest post so far”. Oh, I must have said the not-so-off-topic one, too. That might have confused you. Sorry about that.

Yes, people ejaculate when they read your post. Wow. You can call yourself a truly superior being now.