“Assassin’s Creed 3 is a franchise, like Mario or Resident Evil,” says Ubisoft

Saturday, 18th August 2012 20:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Assassin’s Creed 3 creative director Alex Hutchinson has defended Ubisoft’s decision to release the IP annually, stating it’s all part of the triple-A process.

Speaking with CVG at gamescom, Hutchinson said an annual release doesn’t take anything away from the series, nor make it “less amazing.”

“Since when is something less amazing if you get a new one every year?” he said. “If Breaking Bad was shown twice a week I’d watch it twice a week. If Radiohead put out an album every six months I’d gladly buy one every six months.

“If people want these massive triple-A blockbusters, people will have to accept that we have to make our money back somehow. It’s rare that you’ll make your money back on the first one. Assassin’s Creed 3 is a huge undertaking – we went back to basics on a number of things, including tech. Any revenue that a publisher can get to make riskier projects is cool with me.

“People say it’s the dark side of capitalism but it’s more like communism; we have big projects whose success pay for the little projects.”

Hutchinson said Assassin’s Creed is no longer just a trilogy, but seen as a franchise by Ubisoft, and like other high-profile franchises, it will have its “ups and downs.”

“We were reading reviews about Assassin’s Creed Revelations and a few people were asking whether this was the end of the franchise, and we were thinking ‘er slow down’,” he said. “I mean, I’m no huge fan of Metacritic but the game got an eighty on there. That’s not too bad really.

“The way we see Assassin’s Creed 3 now is as a franchise, like Mario or Resident Evil, that will have its ups and downs. It wasn’t the original plan to be an ongoing series, no, but it became the plan. The curse of success, for want of better phrase.

“But if you can keep a series interesting and fresh then I don’t see why it shouldn’t go on. Nintendo has been great at reinvigorating their franchises, as have other Japanese companies, so we feel we can too.”

Assassin’s Creed 3 releases on October 30 in the US and October 31 in the EU for Wii U, 360 and PS3. A PC version follows at the end of November.

1. SlayerGT

I played the 1, 2, and probly 1/3 of brotherhood and quit. I immediately felt the combat was not the same as 2. Turned me off a bit. I didn’t even bother with Revelations. I will be getting 3 thou. Anyone else think sequels should be developed by the same dev teams?

2. DSB

There’s a big difference between serializing something because [Profit] as opposed to [Inspiration].

Most things suffer when they’re rushed. Take the second season of Game of Thrones. I thought it felt a little off, but now that I’m reading the book, I’m realizing how much they cut in order to get the second season ready within a year and/or save on production.

To me Assassins Creed has always exemplified some of the least attractive aspects of AAA development. Cookie cutter story, feature checklists, lots of filler content. A lot of superficial stuff thrown in there that must’ve looked great on paper, but with no real depth or sense of detail tying it together.

3. LuLshuck

Thing with mari and resident evil is that each game trys to be different, only difference between ac revelations and brotherhood was that revelations had a towerdefence mechanism

4. vicrysty

Resident evil for me over in Part 3. RE (1,2,3) is resident evil. What followed 4.5 and newer 6 are different in meaning stupid (zombies that shoot guns, really stupid). Mario did not play because I do not like.

For me Assassin’s Creed is the franchise that always brought something new. We have the opportunity to know the history, to meet important historical figures from different time periods, to see amazing places.
    Idea from my point of view is if you do not like a game not to play. There are many games, good” (Mario, Resident Evil 4,5,6).
    I hope Assassin’s Creed occur each year because I like and I’ll buy it. (Connor can take part in the French Revolution)
    The best franchise Assassin’s Creed.
    Assassin’s Creed 3 game of the year.

5. absolutezero

To talk to ancient aliens with Nolan North and Veronica Mars.

Gotta collect them flags. Gotta collect them feathers. Gotta do mindless menial tasks and have jedi battles with the pope.

6. jdfoster00

Loved everyone. Thanks Ubisoft for creating such an awesome franchise! Just give us more info about the events etc and not just a lil’ bit at the end! And MORE desmond please :’)

ALSO BRING BACK PRINCE OF PERSIA IS YOU’RE READING THIS… PLEASE! AND MAKE A SEQUAL TO THE ONE RELEASED (HAD A UNIQUE WATERCOLOUR GRAPHICS THING) AND YOU ENDED ON A CLIFFHANGER :’(

7. xxJPRACERxx

Ok, so I’m not the only one to think the 2nd season of Game of Thrones was not as good as the 1st one.

8. Dragon246

None of the franchises he mentioned have yearly releases. So basically he is saying that they will release normal games for 2 years then a good one after that. If so, then I will buy AC only once in 3 years.

9. AHA-Lambda

Honestly, I’d say he has a point. Is it any coincidence the most successful AAA IP this gen have all been annualised (or if not that then bi-annualised)? AAA products are risky so publisher’s will fall back on them where they can.

It just so happens that annualisation is possible for IP like FIFA, Madden, CoD and Assassin’s Creed.

10. Sini

mario jumping controls and feel has been perfected for a long time though, ass creed combat is still utter shit even after 5 games.

11. Gheritt White

I would take a new AssCreed every six months, let alone every year. It’s my fave game series.

Also, yes plz to moar PoP.

12. deathm00n

@11 Not sure if troll or nintendo lover…

The combat in assassin’s creed is one of the good things about the game, the counter is what make it unique, the people who says the combat in assassins creed sucks is the people who think Altair/Ezio/Desmond are like Kratos, and are the same people who play soulcalibur without blocking. Remember people the best offense is the defense.

And remember, the game is not combat oriented, it’s about stealth and running, you fight when you don’t have another choice