DayZ creator rejects interest from “many, many publishers”

Thursday, 16th August 2012 12:11 GMT By Nick Akerman

The zombie-themed mod for Arma II will continue to be distributed for free.

Over a million registered users have joined the game since its launch in April. A standalone edition has already been confirmed, and creator Dean Hall continues to bat away interest from publishers.

“Many, many publishers have contacted me about Day Z,” he told MCV, “But I always ended up repeating the same question: what benefit are you providing development?”

“What value is actually being added to the process by publishers when you can distribute for free?”

1. TheBlackHole

Well, they can advise you on how to create a decent user interface for a start.

It’s all well and good having free distribution, but I still have to buy Arma2, and I’d rather pay for DayZ outright and have it properly polished.

2. TerraZet

Well they can water down your product and rush it out the door for the dumb masses to eat up before they rehash it yearly and dumb it down even more. Publishers are nothing but bad news these days.

3. TheBlackHole

@2 Wow, that was incredibly emo of you.

Publishers are all very different. Some are better than others, granted, but given that they are ALL part of a business, there will always be financial constraints, deadlines and cut corners. That’s what consumerism is all about. The bottom line.

4. DSB

That’s a pretty selective view of it. That’s what ideological capitalism is all about.

Business can easily be about having the closest relationship with the costumer, or making the best possible product, even if you can’t measure a direct, immediate effect on the bottom line.

There’s little practical reason to be an apathetic asshole, like the vast majority of executives today. Some would argue that it’s often compensation for a lack of real leadership skills.

5. TheBlackHole

@4 Yeah, I’d pretty much agree with that. Although “like the vast majority of executives today” suggests that you’re not really part of that world yourself. Like every layer of seniority, you get the good guys and the bad. I wouldn’t say the vast majority are assholes, certainly in my reasonably limited experience.

6. DSB

@5 That’s a fair point, but in my experience, shit does float to the top.

Ultimately it’s never going to be the same from business to business. Some do put an extreme focus on merit and fundamentals, while others lend themselves well to office politics as a way of advancement.

7. TheBlackHole

@6 Ooh, that doesn’t bode well for my career aspirations. I’ll either be made of shit, or floating alongside lots of other shit. I don’t want to be part of a shitfloat…

Well, that was all very pleasant and amicable.

God I love this site.

8. DSB

@7 Cheer up, I’m sure the pay is good.

9. Talkar

There certainly is shit at the top, but to say that there are more there than at the bottom seems a bit excessive. The employees at a McDonald’s are a lot of times retards that can’t think in any way, but the executives certainly are bastards too, cheating with the paycheck, breaking the law concerning how and when you are allowed to work. Shit runs through a business from top to bottom. Of course there are exceptions, like for example Valve or id software. The only reason i’m using McDonald’s as an example is because i used to work at one when i wasn’t a programmer ;)

10. DSB

@9 Totally, but in my experience that’s a bit different. I’ve worked at a few supermarkets, and one thing that was consistent was bosses, who knew they were older than 40 and basically nowhere, but they DID run operations at this shitty little supermarket, so they were damn well going to turn it into their own little fascist Italy :P

I think the business culture is different. In terms of the “shit executives” (people who are less competent, but extremely ambitious) I think it’s often about trying to back up an inflated ego, which makes them extremely slick, and extremely aggressive.

Whether they succeed in that ultimately depends on the business, but I think anyone who’s been in a “bigger” company realizes that most bosses, on any level, are going to have to some serious blind spots, which is gravy for a “shit executive”.

11. ManuOtaku

#8 DSB But some times is more than pay,a worker needs the human aspect too, you can have a very good pay, but the worker also needs a healthy enviroment in order to achive his goals in the working organization, being promoted or having the chance to fight in a healthy way for a promotion, also that his/her ideas or innovations in specifics taks are being heard and recognize by the organization, incentives for good performance, etc therefore i think there are a lot of factors alongisde with good payment, that incide in your overall health under any organization, sadly this is not the case for most companies out there, like you said they prefer to rule with an iron fist due the lack of ledearship skills, those are relly hard to find, they prefer to use unfriendly tactics to promote or rule out the human aspect, those are mutually excluded.

#7 i think thas the case in pretty much the majority of big corporations, the human aspect is not the primary thing, not that you have to look the half empty glass of water situation here, but you need to know how things are handled in some corporations, i really hope that is not your case, because believe me is not a pretty picture, within the years you will become jaded, and thats a bad sing at work.

12. naffgeek

@11 I agree with a lot of what you say but from an ex-employers point of view it goes both ways.

A lot of employees take liberties if you try and trust them to act like responsible adults, believe me I tried to treat everyone how I would want to be treated and many staff just saw me as a soft boss.

I understand when people rule with an iron fist even if I don’t particularly agree with it but until you have had employees (I don’t know if you have or not) you wouldn’t believe how childlike some of them become in the workplace.

Being a good boss is a very fine balancing act and in no way easy.

Just thought I’d balance things up.

Can’t wait for the standalone DayZ!!