Crysis 3 dev team “promise to melt down PCs”

Thursday, 16th August 2012 07:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crysis 3 will live up to its famous forebears, Crytek CEO Cevat yerli has said, in that it will push high-end PCs to their limits.

The original Crysis was a PC exclusive which set benchmarks for graphical performance and inspired waves of hardware upgrades; the phrase “can it run Crysis?” was a bit of a meme at the time.

“That joke will be resurrected again with Crysis 3, I’m quite sure about that,” Yerli said during an EA-hosted Q&A session livestreamed from gamescom.

“There are brutal expectations around the PC version of Crysis 3. So this time we promise to melt down PCs.”

Yerli said having to develop for more than one platform means its harder to hit the kind of graphical high ntoes the original Crysis managed.

“There is unfortunately always in a multi-platform development that kind of compromise that we have to take, but at the same time we are trying not to take it, so we try to make sure that the PC version looks fantastic, plays fantastic,” he said.

“This time we’re saying, ‘Okay, let’s not compromise the PC but let’s try to push the consoles so make the PC version happen.’”

Crytek has its job cut out for them, though – Yerli noted that high end PCs have moved significantly ahead of consoles in terms of power, broadening a gap which already existed at the time of Crysis 2′s release.

You can watch the whole chat below. Crysis 3 is due in February on HD platforms. To see how Crytek’s doing, check out this Hunter multiplayer footage, and CryEngine 3 tech demo.

Thanks, DSO Gaming.

1. HauntaVirus

I like the sound of that! I better get me a GTX 680 ordered.

2. Takeshi

“This time we’re saying, ‘Okay, let’s not compromise the PC but let’s try to push the consoles so make the PC version happen.”

And does this mean we’ll get high definition textures pack and DirectX 11 capabilities from the get-go?

So push aside consoles to make a proper PC version? Or push consoles so much that the PC will be able to look better? That sounds like they’ll make them look a-like which is something not even Crysis 2 did with better resolution, high definition pack and DirectX11 capabilities.

@1: I personally wouldn’t be so fast to order until we’ve seen it in action.

3. pukem0n

they’ll just port the game so bad over from the consoles that no PC can run it :P

4. ArithonUK

#3 has probably hit the nail on the head.

Unoptimised code will run like a dog, fancy graphics or not.

If they wrote a truly optimised fully PC-developed game it would shine, but of course would never run on any console. Their pre-2006 hardware would melt.

Not to worry, the “next-gen” console is available and always has been. A PC.

5. Panda

Oh yeah bring down my PC with your great butterfly and pigeon animations! First get your shit straight! LOL

There is hardly a day on which cevat yerli won’t give a comment about something….. -_-

6. Maximum Payne

Nothing special in that Crysis 3 tech demo trailer.Maybe because lot of stuff was already in Crysis 2…

7. Joe_Gamer

I think he’s just referring to how hard my computers going to have to work sorting out all that poorly optimized xbox code, if Crysis 2 is any indication he sure as shit isn’t talking about graphical fidelity.

8. bpcgos

I think they needs more than just graphical feature to push high-end PCs to their limits.

First of all, my concern about the second Crysis wasnt about graphic or its lacks of feature (DX11 or High res texture pack), its more about how altered the gameplay than the first crysis, you know from a vast open stage (with many possibilities to kill the enemy directly, by stealth or going rage, or indirectly, ex. by blowing entire place up, setting up booby trap everywhere,crash an armed car towards enemy, etc ) to a large corridor shooter with only two killing option (that I’m afraid, to cater more COD fans , although I didnt have any evidence about it).
    The second concern from me was the lack of detail from the world itself, you know the turtle, chicken, or fish that scattered all the way in the first crysis. I’m pretty sure, new york itself are not that empty, there’s a lot of possibility in a city like new york to be filled up more than yourselves and the enemy (like that Will smith movies, maybe by adding remaining civilian, pets, bird or toads would be great)
    My third concern was the vehicle, you can mount a pick up, an armored vehicle, or armored jeeps in the first crysis freely at anytime you want. meanwhile on the second crysis you’ve only got one type of vehicle which is an armored humvee/pick ups that only appears at certain times and places.

So, CRYTEK, give us much vast unlinear stages with more possibilties if you want to push high end PC’s to its limit. At the first time, I thought all the restriction in CRYSIS 2 are to conserve memory due to lack of console technical capability, but then they release 1st Crysis port that proves console actually can handle something like crysis, although with many hiccups. No more catering COD fans, CRYTEK?? Please!!!

9. deadstoned

Thats all I wanted to hear! Now melt my PC into nothingness xD

10. HeavyD-Love

No Erthazus comments on this one?!?!?! I’m surprised!

11. TheWulf

I feel that Mr. 3 has the right of this.

CryENGINE is notorious for shitty code. It’s not like their games ever looked particularly amazing compared to near rivals, it’s just that they were heralded because apparently you required a high-end PC to run their games well.

But as any nerdy person worth their salt will tell you – the reason for this since Crysis 1 has been horrible, terrible optimisation. In fact, a total lack of optimisation. And what passed for optimisation for the console release of the Crysis 1 standalone created huge amounts of pop-in and tremendous ugliness.

These guys just don’t know how to code. But they DO know how to market.