Sony Q1 – Vita figures masked in latest financial report

Thursday, 2nd August 2012 07:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has released its first quarter financial report, burying details of Vita hardware and software sales in what appears to have been a rather sombre three months for the Japanese giant.

Overall, the company posted a poor quarter, with total revenues of $19,180, just a 1.4% year-on-year increase. Operating income was $79 million, a 77.2% decrease.

The Game division, which is now reported under its own heading, also saw general decreases. Overall sales dropped 14.5% year-on-year to $1,493 million, which Sony put down to “lower sales of hardware and software of the PSP and PlayStation 3, partially offset by the contribution of the PlayStation Vita introduced from December 2011″.

That said, the company did not reveal sales figures for the Vita, choosing instead to lump together its two portable and home consoles as separate categories.

Hardware sales of the PS2 and PS3 totaled 2.8 million units for the quarter, down from 3.2 million the year before, while software was also down at 20.1 million as opposed to 2011′s 27.6 million.

For PSP and Vita, hardware sales came in at 1.4 million, down from the 1.8 million PSP managed alone the year before. Software maxed out at 5.8 million, again, down from the PSP’s solitary 6.6 million in 2011.

The division as a whole returned an operating loss of $45 million, significantly down from a profitable Q1 2011.

Imaging Services, Devices, Music, and Financial Services reported profits; all other divisions also reported losses, with the Game division the least pronounced of the under-achievers.

1. Moonwalker1982

I have to wonder what the hell they are doing with the Vita. Sure we’ll see Assassin’s Creed on it, but thats not a guaranteed hit. I mean it wasn’t too special on PSP either. But what is there for later this year or even 2013? Except for Soul Sacrifice?

2. themadjock

@1 I wonder as well, mine hardly gets used, I haven’t even finished Uncharted, MGS3 controls are by far superior on it however but still I find my spare time ploughed into Diablo3 on laptop and games on ipad instead. The games are too expensive compared to the competition.

3. OrbitMonkey

THEIR DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

4. Christopher Jack

@3, Their doomed what? Cat? Or do you mean they’re?

5. Da Man

Their mom is doomed.

Obv.

6. OrbitMonkey

Huh…

THEY’RE DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!

7. Moonwalker1982

Time will tell. Right now i just wonder why the fuck they even made the Vita. It has such potential and a few games like Gravity Rush for example are great and we need more games like that on it. Bring some great (J)rpgs on it, bring some great third person shooters like Syphon Filter on it…jeez.

8. lexph3re

25 things they’re doing this year with a few into next year for Vita http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/vita?sortBy=popularity&sortOrder=desc

Their doing plenty for Vita unbelievable everyone seems to have selective sights on what they want to play on here. Everyone only mentions CoD and AC for the device but completely forget Ragnarok, silent hill, Sly, Persona 4,and PASBR ( I can’t help but to call it Pass Bro).

I think their momentum is shafted but a linear market appeal. Let’s look at this. 3DS sold because of Mario and Zelda. Now people are still only looking forward to Mario on the thing. However, It’s trusted and loved. Vita doesn’t have trusted and loved games. They have these new games that no one heard of with some ports of existing games and console like games.

Once people get off their “Afraid to be hurt again wagon” and give it a REAL try the device will be fine.

Still Psyched for RAG ODY! game looks great! http://youtu.be/-u6tyGGCZ9Q

9. DrDamn

@8 +1
    This is also a good reference of what was shown at E3 earlier this year.

Quite looking forward to the quirkier and interesting titles like Snapshot and Sound Shapes.

10. Gheritt White

I think the Vita could do with a hardware redesign – the form factor’s just not all that comfy, IMHO.

11. DrDamn

Far too early for that sort of thing. I used to use a case with hand grips which turned out on my old PSP. That helped a lot and I have seen similar for the Vita too. Though have to say I’ve not had a problem myself and I have quite big hands.

12. Gheritt White

Link for Vita grip plz?

13. DrDamn

This looks nicest but can’t source it in the UK …

This one looks pretty good with extending grips …

14. OlderGamer

Lex, i think the real Vita issue is just its price point. I think that seems to be where Sony have made the largest mistakes during its last too launches(PS3 and Vita). I think there is a slider out there that limits both the amount and level of tech in the system vs the price point that consumers will spend.

I think the Vita is a great system. I really do. But at 300usd I won’t touch one. I just bought a brand new Desktop PC for 500usd. And you look at value between the two. Vita needs to be 100usd cheaper for both models.

I just hope Sony don’t go for a pricy launch with PS4. Lessons learned and all of that.

I do agree with you on brand name of games on Vita vs 3DS. People know and enjoy Nintendo. But I don’t think that is the biggest barrier.

15. Erthazus

Don’t call it Playstation Vita.
    It’s Portstation Vita that does not have enough ports.

I still have my Vita. Thought about selling it. But that thind does not have games at all. I have Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Wipeout 2048, Rayman Origins and that’s it.

Now it’s dead pretty much. Assassins Creed: Liberation? PSP Version was the worst Assassins Creed game so how is this going to be any different?
    What about new Call Of Duty?
    where are other games? New Games and not ports? Owww… that thing does not even have enough ports.

vita problem is it’s price point and not enough games or games that are recognized such as Mario for the 3DS. Although Call of Duty maybe will fix things but so far Sony did not showed anything at all.

16. ManuOtaku

#14 OG i will like to add the memory cards price too, when you combine the two the price goes higher, and also the psp games issue, i think this is a bigger issue than the price itself, if they can solve those two things it will do way better IMHO.

17. absolutezero

That grip attachment looks just the thing for me. Much thanks Doc.

18. DrDamn

Another Vita Game Heaven incoming apparently …

You can get reasonable deals with 4Gb+ memory cards chucked in for “free” but I agree pricing of these is too high.

If you have a big stack of games how many do you really need to keep? Sell the lot off and buy what you can on the PSN store to replace those you really needed. At least you gain from the convenience of digital copies and potentially protect yourself from this in the future. Not ideal but a viable option.

For me I’d not bought much recently on PSP so the huge back catalog of decent titles – particularly JRPG, SRPG’s – were a big bonus. Particularly when picked up cheap during PSN sales.

19. OlderGamer

I think it would do better too Manu, but I have to wonder if Vita will ever reach critical mass market. And I think the biggest barrier to that is simple price point. I agree with ya on the Mem cards tho.

I think a handheld needs to be sub 200usd at the high end, the closer to 100usd, the better.

20. lexph3re

The price isn’t that bad to me seeing how this device pretty much does what most tablets do plus more. My Wife wants me to buy her a tablet, right now she has narrowed her decision between the Sony tablet, Asus transformer, and Galaxy S tablet(I think that’s what she said I have been letting her do this without me).

When I looked at the prices on them they are 400 and up. A couple of them require a memory card too. I was kinda like… “Whoa”. Mainly because everything those devices do my vita does them cheaper with dedicated games. Of course the last part was my personal observation.

Now I paid 372 for my vita the bundle that had a game memory card and case 3g model. I pretty much came out on top with that deal, They STILL have it set where if you buy the 3G model you get a 8 gb memstick with it by default. Why people haven’t taken advantage of this yet? I haven’t the slightest Idea.

When I look at it I use my vita for Netflix, games, facebook, psn communication, and skype ALL the time. In fact I haven’t really put the device down. I just don’t see at all the complaints people are having.

@ert you are saying there are no games again but overlook Rag, Sound shapes, little king story, Jet set(which I haven’t played even though I have it on Xbox), Strangers Wrath( Again never played.)PASBR. Have you played Shinodido 2? Resistance BS(hahaha BS)? Suminomi(I actually think that game is really nice but thats personal), Escape Plan? TOMB(My friend just beat my score I had 10 mill he got 40 mil).

A lot of the games you look at as ports released simultaneously to their console partner with unique features. I also have bought like 15 psp games that I never played before and still playing to beat for close to dirt cheap. People are complaining about not having their current library but are you telling me you bought and own every psp game out there? like really?

21. Moonwalker1982

Sorry but i don’t see Silent Hill being a great game. The gameplay movies just look very meh to be honest. Sly? If i want it i’d buy it for my PS3. From what i’ve heard it’s the exact same version and that’s bullshit. I forgot about Ragnarok Oddysey, it’s cool that its coming. But when is it coming? I just hope to see more, more eye candy games too…i mean it seemed like a very important thing for Sony when they announced it. How powerful it was.

22. OlderGamer

I think the games libary has grown a bit slow for Vita, but to say it has no games is a bit of a stretch. The games are there, imo.

Can you download books to read on Vita? I know reading on a tablets is a pretty big reason why some of my friends own them. Combine that with a few other features and it is worth it for them. I don’t think I would be happy with a tablet personaly. Not until I can plug it into a HDTV and use a usd/wireless pad to play something on it. And even then, I would prolly want a full blown PC.

I also think Lex, there is difference between guys like you(or even me, erth, Manu, dsb, and most any of us here) and the average mass market types that make system sell enough to be profitable. What is worth it to one of us, clearly isn’t to average folks. For those folks, price point(and game selection) is the biggest factor, imo.

23. ManuOtaku

#2O Well i think the price is not right when you compare it with the PS3, and the problem the vita has right now, price speaking, is that most of the time the same games that are release on the ps3 are being release on the vita too, even if they have an unique added thing, it plays the same way, not using all the nice unique features of the vita, therefore theres not healthy balance of vita only games with the games that are also available on the PS3, and for that in a way the vita is competing against the ps3, which is cheaper, and because of this is hurting the Vita sales,alongside with the still good performance of the PSP, therefore if you look at the whole picture, they are not only competing with their rivals, they are competing with themselves, therefore the need of vita only games is high, they need games like gravity rush in order to entice the sales over their counterparts IMHO, or have a price cut to have an edge over their own products (ps3/psp), of course this without touching the difference in nature between handheld games vs consoles games, which will need another topic on itself.

24. lexph3re

well outside of reading books through the browser there isn’t a dedicated book app for vita. But its also undeniable that if/when the Vita’s number start to soar that there will be an app for that. That’s not an issue in modern tech especially for a device like Vita.

And, You are very right Market appeal is completely different between people like us and average consumer. Average consumer on the other hand tend to get worked by Commission experts. They don’t personally do the research. I told my wife I wouldn’t buy her a tablet unless she told me what made the difference between Ipad and the others. I practically gave her an ultimatum on what we were to purchase.

And, her end result surprises the hell outta me. I think if people just sit down and research these things we’d see a completely different market. However, that is in an ideal world.

25. lexph3re

@23 They really aren’t competing within when sony is turning profit on all. It’s Transitional, within the first year of a new console you start to see the final great offerings of the older console. That’s how its been in gaming, This is Psp’s final year they will more then likely start losing support by next summer when you’ll be seeing more and more on Vita. But in the process Sony is still making off of 3 consoles.

As for the Ps3 and Vita comparison couldn’t disagree more. Sure you have the same game but the difference is huge. You can take one out where the other stays home. That right there is a huge factor that differentiate the two and in some ways justify the pricing value. If it we’re lesser quality I would completely agree but it’s not. It even has dedicated online servers for the games playing against Vita and Ps3 users a like. Where else can you get that?

I do think they need more Gravity rush type games, but is that not already coming? I’m like between Rag, Assassins, Call of duty, and Soul all of them are nicely spread apart saving my wallet before I feel the need to go buy another

26. DrDamn

I agree with OG price is going to continue to be an issue. It was a key factor for the 3DS too. It’s much more of a factor than games or content. Don’t agree with the PS3 comparison though – it’s a different product with a different functional use. It doesn’t matter if a game comes to both – in fact for some with cross save and one price for both functionality it’s a veritable boon.

Price is big for 360/PS3 too. PS2 really took off when pricing got to seb £150. That’s where you need to be for big market penetration on this sort of device. It’s a games machine – so it doesn’t matter if it can do a lot of things a tablet can do – people will pay the sort of price they are willing to for a games machine.

27. ManuOtaku

#25 and 26 Iam not comparing the two, but it will be interesting to analyze to at which point is the impact of having a handheld that costs more than a console, when the main target of said handheld is playing consoles games on it, in other words having the console expirience in your hands, based on this i think in a way they are competing with themselves in both products, at least thats one of the goals with the vita, i mean a console experience type of game in a handheld, it is something that needs a further analysis

28. OlderGamer

“based on this i think in a way they are competing with themselves in both products, at least thats the goal with the vita”

I agree with that too Manu. Almost seems counter productive. Also the actual gameplay experiences are very similar. Where as Nintendo offer different gameplays mechanics and experiences on their handheld and console platforms. I think that is important too.

29. Da Man

An overpriced, unnecessarily overpowered iPod which must compete with both smartphones, handhelds and Sony’s own PS3.

No thank you.

The thing will be canned in a couple of years.

30. Gadzooks!

#30

They wouldnt just let the thing die. It’s not like they build unecessary or unwanted hardware and send it out to die with no support is it?

Move
    PSP Go
    VR headset

Ok, perhaps Sony just hate money.

31. Da Man

They’re into this for teh honor and teh glory, #31.

Shame teh Cell is nowhere to be found in this one.

32. DrDamn

4 out of 5 of the best selling 3DS titles are main console like experiences. Super Mario 3D Land – similar titles on every Nintendo console ever. Mario Kart 7 – same here. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – port of a main console title. Monster Hunter 3G – main console like experience.

33. ManuOtaku

#33 The only one that is not similar to the console counterpart is Super Mario 3D land, the others i agree are the same as the console counterparts, having said that i think what OG tried to said is that the main goal of the 3DS,as it was with the Ds before it, at least in the majority of games (third party and first party),is having something different from the console aspect, with a handheld mindset, an a more casual approach, unlike the Vita which is clearly and admited by sony the main goal, i mean having the console experince on the go, the thing that the mario kart, zelda and monster hunter games sold a lot is a sing of what the more avid nintendo gamers want, which one not should confuse with the overall strategy of the handheld in itself, both are very different things IMHO.

34. DrDamn

Sony have also re-iterated many times that the focus is on adapting those console experiences to a hand held too. The “console experience” thing has been misunderstood. How well they are achieving this is debatable, but what they have tried to do does support this. Titles they have brought across are largely very suitably bite sized. Unit 13 is a good example of a console like experience brought to a handheld in a sensible way. Prevalence of challenges, and asynchronous gaming. Diversity in pricing model.

35. Kabby

The PSP Go had such a cool form factor but Sony’s terrible online services and lack of tools to transfer disk games to it made me sad.

36. Dragon246

PSP GO in a way told sony that they can’t make vita digital only .
    Initial high cost of vita is definitely a factor, but sony could have made a killing with the 3g version if they would have released it not as 300$ tech but as a 100$ model with 2-3year subscription . Although I don’t think its overpriced , a price cut will definitely help sales. Also I am still waiting for GTA, FF10HD and some good jrpgs on it. The new Ys for vita looks awesome .
    This also shows how much gamers want new things. The only thing they want is the next mario,zelda,cod,ac.
    Also sony has total revenues of 19180$! Are you kidding me? Correct the facts.

37. OlderGamer

Valid points Doc.

But pretty much what Manu said.

Plus the Wii games have different input controls then the 3DS. Vita and PS3 share the same control dynamics. Then there are the 3DS 3D effects. It is pretty neat to fidle with.

Sony has worked very hard to recreate the feel of PS3 playabilty on VITA. I think Nintendo does a nice job of creating a distinctive feel between Wii and 3DS games. That is one of the most exciting things about WiiU for me. That darn controler looks like it holds so many different and unique twists on gameplay control mechanics.

At the end of the day the Vita vs 3DS contest is being decided by consumers. What we say doesn’t really make any difference. I don’t think that people are avoiding Vita because they don’t like it or it is a bad system. I think they are avoiding it because of price. Just like I don’t think that price alone is why people are picking 3DS, I think they pick 3DS because of the games, the brand names and the gameplay they offer. I think price point of 3DS simply doesn’t hold the system back at this point.

38. DrDamn

@OG
    ” Vita and PS3 share the same control dynamics. ”

You played Gravity Rush, LBP Vita, Escape Plan? There is a clearer distinction between DS and Wii, and that emphasises diversity, but on the flipside Vita is more versatile in terms of input and can use what is best suited.