Vigil: Darksiders’ future depends on Darksiders II sales

Tuesday, 31st July 2012 08:05 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Darksiders II lead developer Haydn Dalton’s made it clear that the future of the franchise depends on how well its upcoming game performs commercially.

Speaking to Strategy Informer, Dalton conceded that the studio’s future was dependent on Darksiders II sales.

“Absolutely [the future of Darksiders is dependent on how this sells]. We’ve got ideas for what we can do within the Darksiders universe, and it’s a huge universe. We’ve got ideas for different types of games as well. We’ve got a lot of mechanical things that are the boil and are ready to go depending on how this sells.

“With the focus on DLC we want to sustain the amount of time people can spend playing Darksiders.

“Hopefully within that time we’ll find how it’s been received, how people are liking it, so a lot of our future as a games studio will be dependent on how this goes.”

Darksiders II releases on August 14 in the US and August 21 in Europe for PS3 and Xbox 360. A Wii U version is also in development.

1. Talkar

I just preordered this along with Dark Souls 10 minutes ago! ^^

2. f1r3storm

Well, what kind of question is this? Of couse everything depends on success.

It’s not like THQ would or could pump tons of money into the franchise if Darksiders 2 fails.

3. noherczeg

Preordered days ago, but I’m sceptical :( Somehow there’s not enough attention around it despite the interviews, the 20+ minutes action packed videos. I already know that I’ll like it, but also I’m afraid that it will not be able to achieve what it should be.

4. Talkar

^Yeah i was actually discussing this with a friend of mine the other day. I think because the first one had mediocre sales figures people are just going to see this as “oh it’s just another one from THAT franchise” like most do with CoD. It’s a shame really, and i hope i’m proven wrong and this game will become one of the most sold ones this year, but i just don’t think it is going to come close :/

5. SplatteredHouse

In which case, THQ needs to be showing how this game stands out, and why people ought to be looking forward to, and playing it next month. I don’t think the live-action ad with the Game of Thrones actor was a good call. Death, if not the game’s “universe”, that’s more comic book. Show gameplay in tv spots. THQ needs to build hype round DS2. Something memorable and punchy, in this case might work wonders.

6. Takeshi

The first game is pretty mediocre. So I guess that’s why I am not that exited for Darksiders 2, but I am hearing interesting stuff about it. Loot and an open world sounds really interesting, and better combat than Darksiders, yes please.

7. Sasha_Je

And again I shall blame the media and the likes of metacritic because I didn’t pick up this game for years, yet one day I decided to give it a try and see HOW BAD CAN IT BE! To be honest I was very surprised…Darksiders is not a masterpiece but it’s a fun game with pretty cool puzzles ( I am not a puzzle person but the ones from Darksiders are enjoyable ) and cool combat. On top of that the univers it’s special, Horseman of the Apocalypse ! To me the ending was pretty bad ass and I was looking forward to see what Vigil may do. After I saw Behind the Mask movies I was sold out, and the release windows is awesome for me because till October for XCom I have nothing to play. My advice people should buy this game, in fact any game, play it themselves and after log-in to forums and rant about stuff. You should not wait for some critic that isn’t in the right mood because his wife didn’t do a proper blow so he will rank the game as something he wants. Buy products based on your liking, not others!

8. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

“The first game is pretty mediocre.”

That’s what everybody says who hasn’t played it, or just tried it for an hour and didn’t unlock the larger part of the game. Rented opinion anyone?

9. OlderGamer

I thought it was a great game, DS was. I will play the second one, prolly this spring. Not going to preorder, very few games that I do that for anymore. I have to say tho, I don’t think the game should be a franchise. Nothing kills a fun experience more then playing it for the third or fourth time.

10. Sasha_Je

If Vigil continues on this track I would love Darksiders to become a strong /priority franchise. Darksiders II it’s like a new game, a whole new experience. Yes I want that with every installment of simply make 4 games for each horseman and after that one big ending. The universe is full of potential and the story is pretty cool imo. For me a franchise that has lost it’s identity/track is Assassins Creed, the 1st installment made me think that things can go very wild. But in the end from templars we went to the American revolution that it shows how cruel and animal-like humans can be. Nothing interesting there…indeed if Darksiders is meant to become like this I would rather die and stay with the memories that I have.

11. DSB

@8 “That’s what everybody says who hasn’t played it, or just tried it for an hour and didn’t unlock the larger part of the game.”

And I’d say that’s the kind of flat denial that people pull out of their backsides, when they fail to tolerate a difference in opinion.

There’s not one way to view a game, nor any one cause for viewing it that way.

Anybody is allowed to like it as they please, but to me it just felt like a handpicked selection of completely antiquated mechanics, mostly gotten from God of War and Zelda, and just put in a fresh new sheen.

Not that that can’t be enjoyable, but I didn’t feel like it had any identity of it’s own, and I had already played with those mechanics elsewhere.

THQ rhymes with “me too”, and sadly, in recent years that’s been their overriding theme.

12. absolutezero

Why you always gotta be hatin’ on the THQ brah? Whats the beef?

I got to the Portal rip-off segment of Darksiders then packed it in there. I hope theres nothing quite so stupid in the second one. I also like the idea of having horse-based transport from the off.

There is a chance it could go onto sell more than the first. Mass Effect managed it perfectly well but then again it was EA and Bioware and it had alien sex aswell. hmmmmmm

13. ManuOtaku

Iam with the people that did like the game, for me it was a great new ip, with tons of potential, and with the time they had to polish the things needed on the first game, the potential to become a great game is there, i will give them the benefit of the doubt and pre-order it.

14. DSB

@13 Hehe. I do feel a bit like an ex boyfriend with THQ actually.

I used to think of THQ as “Totally Hot Quality”. They used to take a lot of risks and if I saw the logo on anything, I’d think that a game was probably worth playing.

It just seemed to fall apart so fast. I usually put the turning point around Fuel of War. The games just became so uninspired, and seemingy totally dependant on something like it already being on the market.

I guess I could be seeing it in the wrong light, but junk like Homefront, Dawn of War II and Space Marine are just so far from the kinds of games that I truly worshipped back in the day.

They actually used to be good. That made me hate them more for compromising, and chasing a fortune that they were obviously never going to get.

That being said, I think Rubin sounds like the kind of progressive risk-taking leader, who just might wake the sleeping dragon at THQ. Hopefully they’ll be able to scrape by long enough for that to happen.

15. Sasha_Je

@12 What exactly new IP’s came out this generation that stood out as something truly unique? The “God of War and Zelda” argument was/is used to bash Darksiders. The genre is established and it’s all about the universe, tools you can use, puzzles and many other things. The foundation of video games was paved a very long time ago and since then everyone ripping off those guys but what it matters it’s the execution. I for one didn’t own a Nintendo console since GameCube and Vigil managed to bring me a Zelda inspired game so I will happily play it. Maybe I will get flamed because of this but then again it’s a matter of opinion, I had a more pleasant and fun experience with Darksiders rather then God of War. And now Darksiders II brings me skills tress, loot and the most important thing to me dual wielding, I’m a sucker for this!

16. Maximum Payne

@16 Red Dead Redemption,LA Noire,Assassin Creed,The Witcher,Mirror Edge…

17. DSB

@16 I don’t feel a need to bash Darksiders. It’s not like I can take away any of its success, or change anyones opinion of it anyway. If people are offended by my opinion, then I think they’ll just enjoy it even more out of spite and affection.

I’ve never said it was a title that couldn’t be enjoyed by anyone, I’m just speaking my mind.

I think there’s a big difference between being in the same genre and actually copying another game.

To compare, Doom and Blood are in the same genre, and they’re ultimately very similar, but they still manage to stand out from eachother. If you compare Wolfenstein 3D to Blake Stone for example, or Doom to Rise of the Triad, then you’re suddenly looking at games that share an overwhelming amount of mechanics.

I think it’s always going to be a matter of opinion how well that actually turns out, and I have no problem with people coming off with a different impression of it.