Runic still shooting for a summer release of Torchlight II

Thursday, 19th July 2012 17:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Despite Torchlight II being delayed in order to “extensively balance” the game, Runic president Travis Baldree has told Joystiq the firm is still shooting for a summer release. “The end of summer is September 25th or something like that,” said Baldree. “We’re still trying to get it done for summer. It’s a big game and we’ve still got some polish to go. We have a point in development where we’ll say, ‘Okay, we’re ready to announce a date,’ but we’re just not there yet.” So, there’s still hope yet, kiddos.

1. OlderGamer

Not before it is ready please. I can wait.

2. Sadismek

@2 Me neither. The beta was bloody awesome.

3. OlderGamer

I loved the beta, it really is a great game.

4. Demiath

Aiming for summer? Sure, I believe that. Summer of what year, though?

5. magnumfinger

I am really looking forward to see some major tweaks from its beta; especially its banal graphics…

6. TheWulf

You should read the post they made about the changes to the game since the beta. They listened and they acted upon what they heard in a really intelligent way, playing the game for themselves, finding out what was valid, and reworking what needed to be reworked. If more developers were like this and had such strong lines of communication, then…

Well, the entire industry would benefit from it, to be honest. I respect them for understanding what their fanbase wants, fixing what needs to be fixed, but not budging on what they think is silly. The balance they’ve achieved in that regard is perfect.

And the post that arose from that was very pleasing to read.

Travis said he’ll be doing weekly forum posts about the progress, too, and I really look forward to reading those. If you’ve any interest in games development, I invite you to follow them with me.

7. TheWulf

2/10.

Your trolling effort is terrible because even TotalBiscuit said that there was more variety in the settings, and the graphics were overall simply far more pleasing to the eye than the dreadfully dull nonsense that we usually have to put up with as the backdrop for an action RPG. (Hello Diablo III!)

Now, whose word am I going to take as being more trustworthy? Yours or TotalBisctuit’s? You’re just some nobody on the Internet whose name I don’t even recognise. So… I’m sorry, it’s going to have to be TB.

So you only get 2 because I’m feeling generous today.