Final frontier: Strike Suit Zero wows with Rezzed gameplay

Wednesday, 11th July 2012 07:46 GMT By Sam Clay

If Strike Suit Zero wasn’t the most beautiful thing on show at Rezzed, it’s only because VG247 was there to catch up with community manager Jamin Smith, check out the action and capture some stunning gameplay footage.

Strap yourself into the titular Strike Suit – a mecha form capable of more than jet-like jousting – and dive into the civil war foiling humanity’s expansion efforts; Smith wouldn’t tell us all the details, but we did hear something about a mysterious third faction. But never mind that: you job is to shoot things and not drop your choice of joystick, controller or mouse and keyboard while gaping at the loveliness of thoughtful space combat.

Strike Suit Zero is due on PC via Steam, origin and other digital distributors in northern autumn, and is expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early 2013.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

Oh man I want this. gimme gimme gimme…

2. Edo

That really looks good,love the strike mode,I hope we see more of it.

3. varsas

Hmm… Robotech/Macross origin with finding a “warp” technology and then the civil war of Gundam?

4. absolutezero

So its Starhawk then.

Also Teal/Cyan.

5. topher

@varsas

Homeworld origin with finding the “warp core” and then the civil war from Wing Commander 4?

Just saying ;)

6. varsas

@topher

Lol, I think my anime references trump yours by being older but too true :)

Either way it looks good and tbh I don’t think I’ve seen a good space mecha game especially from a Western developer so it will be interesting to see how that reflects in the final game.

7. topher

@varsas

I’ll give you that, they are older :)

8. Quige

First thing I saw when I walked into Rezzed. Looked great and suddenly glad I still had my old joystick hanging around. And just after EG posted their X-wing Retrospective making me yearn for a good space combat game. Going to keep my eye on this one.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

I only wish someone is working on a Freelancer like game somewhere. It would’ve been awesome if we had an space trading/combat game like Freelancer. Someone please hear this and start it.

10. kupocake

For the mecha-curious, the mecha designer is http://www.izmojuki.com/ , who worked on Steel Battalion and Infinite Space.

This looks cool, but I hope the anime cliches don’t get slapped on too thick. Also, wondering how those who have been hankering for a space combat game will feel about the third-person perspective. I’d always hoped for a game like this without the “making pew-pew sounds with my action figures” viewpoint of a robot’s mechanical buttcrack.

11. topher

It has first-person view as well.

12. kupocake

And that’s the end of that chapter.

13. Hunam

Spoke to the guys at Rezzed behind this. They know what they fuck they are talking about and the game is just excellent.