Warren Spector “would never make” a game like Heavy Rain

Wednesday, 4th July 2012 07:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although Deus Ex creator Warren Spector believes David Cage is one of the best writers in gaming, he’s wary of the inflexibility of heavily scripted games.

“Heavy Rain – I would just never make a game like that,” Spector told MCV Pacific.

“In Heavy Rain, nothing surprising will ever happen. No player will ever see anything, do anything, discover anything that David (with his undeniable genius) didn’t create.”

Spector said he greatly admires the kill it takes to pull together five separate scripts, especially with choices, but said the resulting structure isn’t any different from a Choose Your Own Adventure story.

“I loved that game as an experience – it was unbelievable. It made every day mundane things high drama. I mean, holy cow! I’m in awe of the talent of the guy who wrote it and his ability to tell a cinematic story. But would I ever make a game like that? Absolutely not,” he added.

That’s not to say Spector dislikes Cage’s work – far from it; the famed creator said that “if Tim [Schafer] isn’t the best writer in gaming, David is”. But despite his respect for both creators, Spector’s own preference for player-driven experiences means he can’t pursue similar methods of storytelling.

“Nothing’s going to happen in one of those games that wasn’t pre-planned. And that means that Tim can tell a way better traditional story than I will ever be able to tell in a game,” he admitted.

“I wish I was as good a writer as him. But, that kind of game is not what I want to do.”

Spector said recently that the open-ended, sandbox style gameplay he is known for – particularly in games like Deus Ex – is also present in Epic Mickey 2.

1. expose the core

Small typo in the text. Spector said he greatly admires the kill it takes to pull together five separate scripts,

2. Aimless

There’s also the part where Spector praises David Cage’s writing ability, which must be some kind of mistake.

3. Dimaco

I absolutely loved Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain, as in my opinion they told their stories with an exceptional depth, one that is rarely seen in today’s games.
    Ok, as far as the mere game mechanics are concerned they may have some faults, but I can cope with that as far as the whole experience is so brilliant…

4. Christopher Jack

@1, Perhaps it wasn’t a typo. Perhaps there’s some sort of dark cult behind game development that we’ve never heard of. The better the kill, the better their game turns out to be.

5. klewd

Depth? please elaborate.

david cage is definitely not “one of the best writers” in gaming

6. JimFear-666

i think spector never played the game Rogue Warrior. The guy who wrote the script of this game is probably the best writer ever on earth.

7. Dimaco

I mean you really get to identify yourself with the character, his emotions, and even though you might be “living” (in the game) a normal situation, thru the character’s troubled mind it can get disturbing/moving. Not to mention when you have to deal with extreme situations. (i.e. scene when you might decide to cut your finger)
    That sort of involvement I find interesting and deep, and I haven’t found that in many other games..

8. ManuOtaku

I hope their next game is more akin to indigo prophecy than heavy rain, both are great, but i did like a lot more indigo prophecy, even i did enjoy omikron more than heavy rain, people criticize asuras for not having that much gameplay, but they were not that vocal with heavy rain.

9. Dimaco

Yup, Fahrenheit (as IP is called over here) was really good, too… The ending part though was a bit too much, if you know what I mean…

10. Ireland Michael

Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit are two very mixed bags.

Conceptually, I really enjoyed what both tried to do from a gameplay perspective. I think they are a valid and immersive direction for gaming as an immersive experience, and I can only hope we see more like it in the future. Where they fall apart is the story.

Fahrenheit had a solid start, but it’s story degenerates into a convoluted mess near the end. Apparently a lot of this has to do with publisher interference, forcing plot elements that weren’t originally a part of the original themes of the story.

A pity, really. I often wonder what the game would have been like under different circumstances.

Heavy Rain faired a lot better than this, and it’s story holds together much more solidly. Apparently there were time constraints in the development though, and this can be seen in the glaring omission of scenes that would have pieced some of the story’s glaring plot holes together.

Those plot holes are what ruin Heavy Rain the most, but as far as immersive involvement in your character goes, the game is a huge leap forward for gaming’s still fledging desire to be taken seriously as a creative medium

11. ManuOtaku

#10 Well i meant for the traditional gameplay mechanics, that indigo did have more than heavy which consisted on QTE, the story i think you are right Heavy rain was an overall improvement, but not gameplay wise.
    p.s thats why i stated the reference with the asuras warth game.

12. Clupula

You can’t even compare Asura’s Wrath and Heavy Rain. Asura’s Wrath is somehow less interactive than Dragon’s Lair. Heavy Rain, sure it had QTE, but they always felt relevant. Like when you’d have to twist your fingers in ridiculous ways at the same time your character would have to twist his body into uncomfortable contortions. Or when you’d have to swerve your controller at the same time you had to swerve the wheel of your car. Plus, there were several segments where you had free control over where your character would be and what they would examine. I compare Heavy Rain more to an old-school point-and-click adventure than to something like Asura’s Wrath which just felt like an anime they stuck some button prompts on, every now and then.

13. Fnoros

@6 you mean that crappy abortion of a “game” about that psychopath navy seal guy? the only people who like that game are john marcinko (previously mentioned psychopath), his mother, and people who actually thought that the soviet union was ever a legitimate threat to the U.S. (hint: we always had significantly more advanced weaponry, and training, and much greater nuclear capability).