Rumor – Xbox 720 documents show next-gen plans

Saturday, 16th June 2012 13:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A two-year old set of documents claiming to list what Microsoft has in store for Xbox 720 – yes, that is what it’s called in the graphs – has been plastered all over the internet.

View all of this with a healthy does of skepticism.

We’ll start off with what is plausible considering the direction Microsoft is going with Xbox, which is to turn it into an entertainment system for the home that does everything.

The list of goodies supposedly coming with the system include the long rumored, sort-of-confirmed-but-not, Xbox TV. Slated for Holiday 2012 with full support launching with the next Xbox in 2013, XTV will also work on smartphones and PC.

According to these leaky leaks, by 2015 the console will have “Xbox experiences served up form the cloud. Instantly on any screen,” allow consumers to record shows to watch on any other connected device in the house, stream media, start and play Xbox games on the console and then continue from other phones and PCs with RemoteFX tech. This will allow players to take their game on the go – sounds bit like SmartGlass there.

The documents note the next Xbox will support 3D via Kinect 3D Glasses – codenamed Fortaleza (like Kinect before it – aka Natal- named after a town in Brazil). This will be implemented in 2014 with WiFi and by 2015 the system will make use of 4G.

Kinect 2.0 will come out in 2013 with improved tracking, dedicated processing, and with better play space and HD.

Xbox 720 will also supposedly be “six times as powerful” as Xbox 360 with the possibility of a Blu-ray optical drive for 1080p and 3D, and contain “always online” tech.

All this for $299 plus its Kinect 2.0 sensor and slated for 2013.

If you look through the presentation papers, you’ll note MS lists OnLive as an possible “acquisition target,” and notes it expects Sony’s next console to incorporate GoogleTV in some capacity. It also lists the rumored price point of “Wii 2″ as around the $249 mark.

All interesting concepts.

As with the supposed spec sheet listing the technical prowess of the unannounced PS4, we call BS on the majority of this. Especially when you look over the presentation. In our opinion MS should have used much better visual aids, if this is in fact legitimate.

Source: Scribd.

Thanks for the heads up: Anders, Moonwalker 1982

1. Erthazus

Fake as hell. Although it’s very well done.

2. a7md1990

If it is complete utter BULLSHIT! why bother post it?

Ooh I know.. just in case it is not as shitty as you thought.. I’m cool.

3. G1GAHURTZ

This seems full on legit to me.

There’s just too much in there. Hardware knowledge, business terminology, project management terminology, etc, etc.

Also, I didn’t know it was 2 years old, but if it is, how did they know that Gears 4 would be releasing this gen, and that Gears 5 would be after 2013?

If MS had followed their usual 2 year release schedule, Gears 4 would have been late 2013, like we were all expecting until about 3 weeks ago.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Because it’s my “job”. Moving along…….

5. G1GAHURTZ

Another point:

Forget the visual aids. I’ve done graphic design work on loads of presentations for very big, multi-million pound projects, and not only do they obviously all need first drafts (which this could also be), but some of them are originally just done by people with no design skills who just need to get their ideas across to an internal senior before any initial work gets the green light.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Also, if it’s 2 years old…

How did they know about SmartGlass?

7. Anders

@1: The document was uploaded to Scribd in May, and Smart Glass was unveiled at E3 in June without any rumors about it beforehand. I think this is legit.

Edit: G1GAHURTZ beat me to it.

8. daytripper

Hmmm, if it is genuine I hope they have changed certain plans, only 6x the 360? Seems measly to me, looks like they are going towards a much more TiVo box that plays games strategy. Wait and see.

9. a7md1990

@4 I sure respect that, it’s just that.. I’m jealous I don’t have your job :(

10. Stephany Nunneley

@9 Don’t be sweetie – I am old and bitter, and ready to scoff at anything like this after seeing sooooo many “leaks”, and “rumors”. Stay positive. :D :D :D xxoo

11. Moonwalker1982

When i read this i was very skeptical. But then i saw that it was upload to Scribd around may when nobody knew about SmartGlass. Plus apparently a Ex-Microsoft guy confirmed this to be legit.

2013 it is then….

Although that Phil Spencer claims 360 has more than 2,5 years left….but of course he’d say that.

12. Fin

I think it’s legit, but is more like a document for discussion or ideas for the future, rather than a roadmap. If it was an actual plan, it would have “secret”, not “confidential”.

13. Moonwalker1982

True, but i just hope we’re finally got get a ‘good’ MS conference next year again, only good because of a brand new system reveal, that is.

14. Stephany Nunneley

I think a lot of it is plausible – like I already said. The bit I “don’t see as plausible, is the “always on” only because not all households have decent internet. Granted they may have it well enough to get online, so a beacon can shine into MS headquarters, but in my town alone, there are many people with gaming systems and no internet access… still. But like @12 said – I see it more as a “discussion” more than anything. Not a confirmation of anything.

I am also disappointed no one noted the sarcasm on my “visual aids” bit. I must be losing my touch. :P

15. Moonwalker1982

It’s just funny how some people always scream ‘fake’ right away, like in the forum. Funny and kinda stupid actually.

16. daytripper

Hey Steph do you know if any of the gaming press has been invited to MS announcement thingy on Monday?

17. OrbitMonkey

It’ certainly food for thought. It’s seems to also be a advertisement for 3rd parties too. MS offering them access to a dedicated user base, whose preferences they can monitor so as to better target them with new stuff.

18. Erthazus

Let’s say all of this is legit. So where is Next Gen there?

It is basically an upgraded SmartGlass Box with 4GB Ram and CPU, GPU that they can’t mention. (They have something there, but the words are small). + Kinect V2 (AGAIN) and some 3D glasses aka new Fad like Project Natal was.

and of course the look of the new console even if it is a concept is… DVD Player. Cool.

19. Moonwalker1982

@16 I highly doubt monday will be about anything Xbox related. Well, maybe that Xbox TV, and that would make this doc even more believeable. Seems very non-gaming related.

Six times as powerful as 360 as the doc says…that’s not next gen? It all remains to be seen how powerful its really gonna be though.

Apparently a Ex-MS employee has confirmed the docs to be legit.

20. Erthazus

My videocard alone is more powerful then Xbox 360 for 15 times for example.

21. OlderGamer

I think it may be legit in nature, but that doesn’t mean it has to reflect word for word what is happening with Xbox Next. Some of the stuff could be spot on and some of it someones “dream” or vision of what the next xbox will be.

These aren’t a release tech sheet for the next gen. More of a direction of thought. And isn’t it convientant that this comes out before wiiUs launch, right after a horrible MS E3? Because it fuels what most avid gamers think, and that the next gen is going to be this steller advance forward. The whole thing smells of a PR “leak” to me.

Time will tell.

22. The_Red

“and contain “always online” tech” Ouch.
    Up until this point I was happy but an always online system is just bad. Seriously, I know piracy is a real problem but that doesn’t mean they should do that. Movies can be stolen too but it does not mean we have to be always online in order to watch any movie (OMG, Don’t read this hollywood! Don’t use this idea).

23. Moonwalker1982

@ 21 That’s very true. It’s right after E3, but the Wii U won’t release until the holidays, which is still quite far off.

We’re gonna have to wait and see, but sooner or later they have to come with a new system. Sony ain’t sitting still either.

24. ManuOtaku

I do believe it, especially regarding the power of the console, the price and the blue ray physical disc, and this is in line what i did believe for the next gen a good graphical punch but not as last gen to keep it affordable, now the thing will be how much of impact will epic have with this, i mean if they can convince microsoft to go further in order to support the epic tech, and the always connected issue, which is the thing iam most concerned the most about this, i hope they can work something out about this, for the rest iam quite happy, especially with the price part.

25. daytripper

6x 360 is a tad disappointing to me, was expecting more to be honest, more fool me I suppose

26. OlderGamer

But 299usd? I see xbox360s on the shelf for more then right now? I could see 299usd with a 2 year LIVE Premium(notice I didn’t say gold) agreement(at 15usd+/month). Then maybe. But, imo 299usd is just one of the holes in this.

27. Sini

I see 360s going for $99, you need to move.

28. shangothomas

i think microsoft are sooo thinking that consumers are their money puppets creating a six6 times powerfull machine is just sooo bullshit i mean this is supposed to render avatar this is supposed to be next gen after all this years being loyal to xbox they treat us as their money making puppets offering us a cheap console thats not powerfull enough i mean come on were fans not consumers dont treat us like that make a grizzly burning machine that roars put 20 cores on it n put 2 690 gtxs on it we need to experience the next gen come onnnn microsoft next year im deffinetely buying a playstation 4 sony cares about gamers and i believe they have a beast of a machine for us to play god of war 5 in billions of polygones

29. Ireland Michael

If it does end up employing an “always online” system, they can rightly fuck off and keep it.

30. shangothomas

blah blah blah!!! blah blah blah!!! were not 3rd grade girls we need a monster machine not 6x powerfull please we need 1000 times powerfull i need the future right now next year we wont notice the difference with 6x the power we dont need a cheap machine and tv services n cheap motion tracking we need a gaming console weve got other gizmos that do that crap oooh man microsoft is really killing the industry im telling you the next gen unveil will be boring if you went on stage and speak about 6 times the power and tv services with glasses CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. shangothomas

AND NOT EVERYONE HAS INTERNET ACCESS SO MICROSOFT PLEASE MAKE A CONSOLE OF THE GAMERS FOR THE GAMERS BY THE GAMERS!!! WE NEED TO PLAY THE LUMINOUS ENGINE WITH ITS GLORIOUS GRAPHICS IN REAL TIME I THINK MICROSOFT DOESNT REALLY QUITE GET HOW IT FEELS WHEN YOU FINALLY GET TO PLAY ASSASSINS CREED 3 IN GRAPHICS OF THE LUMINOUS ENGINE QUALITY

32. Erthazus

Btw, always online even worked for PC with Diablo III so i think you can all expect only that from a major PC OS publisher.

33. stretch215

I’m trying to figure out if shangothomas is serious…. Also is 6x the power of 360 that bad? I think six times what I play now would be awesome, especially for $300.

34. G1GAHURTZ

Always online…?

I thought it was always on, not always online?

Which page talks about always online? There’s obviously a big difference between the two.

I can see how always on makes sense, if you’re going to be able to access content from anywhere using SmartGlass, then you’ll need it to be on frequently. Also, if it’s supposed to be a cable box/DVD player/hifi replacement, it’s going to have to be on almost permanently, anyway.

Apparently, that’s why they’ve put certain processors that have been built for super low power consumption, too.

35. Moonwalker1982

Why are people so against the always online thing though? When i put my 360 on now i’m always online as well, soo…..

36. Erthazus

@35, because Always Online aka DRM are disconnects, latency issues, server issues and if I for example want to spend my summer in summer cottage there is no internet so i won’t play on the console if it requires to be online always.

Always Online is bad for gaming in general and Diablo III proves that.

37. shangothomas

@stretch215 i am serious right now there are pcs that are even 10x powerfull than the 360 and when you play the top high end games like crysis you dont see much of a difference visually compared to the ps3 and 360 versions except for the tesselation and improved stuff but there isnt that much of a leap they all look a bit the same if the 720 will be only 6 times as powerfull well that is so much a shame really its not powerfull enough for hard core gamers and for a 10 year life cycle and sony will obviously correct its problems with the cell and make an easier and powerfull version of it for the ps4 i dont want a cheap machine i want a machine that is truly next generation i dont want to buy something for 300 dolLors that is just a cupcake improvement from the last machine its like an xbox 400 n not 720 its a shame they came in e3 with nothing of a big surpeise and showed us stuff thats not related to gaming and now this THIS IS TOO MUCH MY LOVE FOR CONSOLE GAMING IS REALLY COMING TO AN END I CANT BELIEVE WELL ALL HAVE TO DEAL WITH 6X THE POWER FOR 10 YEARS AGAIN ITS A PAIN N WE SUFFER THE MOST THEY GET THE MONEY BECAUSE OF MEASLY MINECFRAFT AND ANGRY BIRDS PLAYERS WE CORE GAMERS HAVE TO SUFFER FOR 10 YEARS I REALLY HAVE GOT TO STICK TO THE PC

38. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I checked again.

It’s not ‘always online’, it’s ‘always on’.

Not that I have a problem with always online, but the document never mentioned it.

39. shangothomas

6X THE POWER WILL ONLY BE ENOUGH IF THEY HAD INFINITE TESSELATION OR POLYGONES ON THE LATEST DIRECT X 11.1 OR UNLIMITED DETAIL POINT CLOUD DATA OR THE “C DRAGON” PIXEL TECHNIQUE REALLY BUT REALISTICALLY 6X THE POWER IS JUST AN XBOX 360 WITH KINECT 2 SUPPORT NOTHING MORE THAN THAT POOR AND THE WORST PART IS THE MACHINES ARE ALREADY IN PRODUCTION I HOPE THEY DONT EVEN SHOW IT ON E3 NEXT YEAR JUST GET THE LAZY MACHINE ON THE STOORS N WAIT FOR BLONDES AND FAMILY GUYS TO BUY IT I WISH ALL DECELOPERS COULD STOP MAKING GAMES UNTILL MICROSOFT AND SONY CREATE A BETTER MACHINE THIS IS AWFULL THE INDUSTRY HAS LOST ITS HEAD AND THEY HAVE ABIGGER N WIDER FAN BASE NOW THEY CAN DO ANYTHING AS CHEAP AS THEY CAN SOOO DISTURBING TO SEE ITS JUS 6X POWERFULL

40. Moonwalker1982

@38 so it’s not what Erthazus fears and was talking about?

@39 holy crap dude, calm down and easy on the caps lock!!!

41. shangothomas

@40 THIS IS SERIOUS I AINT GONNA BUY A GAME TO GET ONLINE N WATCH TV OR USE SMART GLASS AND KINECT 2 I WANT A MACHINE TO PLAY PRE RENDERED CGI ON REAL TIME AND IT AINT GONNA BE EASY.. EASY IS FOR ANGRY BIRDS SORT OF PLAYERS AND THOSE PEOPLE WHO PLAY CALL OF DUTY ALL DAY IM THE UNCHARTED AND GOD OF WAR KINDA GUY I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND ME DUDE DEUCE !!

42. G1GAHURTZ

@39:

If graphics are that important to you, just build a gaming PC.

And stop shouting…

@40:

Exactly. Not even close.

43. shangothomas

@42 GRAPHICS ARE WHAT THIS INDUSTRY IS ALL ABOUT ITS WHY THEY MADE A PS2 AFTER PS2 AND A PS3 AFTER PS2 ITS WHAT MAKES THE INDUSTRIES MAKE POWERFULL CPUS AND INCREASE THE RAM AND SPEED ON THE GPUS GRAPHICS IS THE MAIN POINT HERE HALOOOOOO!! ALL THOSE OTHER STUFF CAN RUN ON A 360 THEN WHY DO WE NEED NEXT GEN IF NEXT GEN TO YOU IS ABOUT BEING ONLINE AND HAVING TO USE SMART GLASS THEN YOUR ON THE WRONG PLACE GO BUY A NOKIA 6800 AND PLAY THE SNAKE GAME… I ALREADY HAVE A PC BUT ALL TRIPLE AAA GAMES LOOK THE SAME ON ALL PLATFORMS GAMES ONLY LOOK ADVANCED ON A NEW CONSOLE SO STOP ACTING GAY IF YOU FEEL LIKE NOT REPLYING TO ME THEN SHUT UP AND REPLY ON SOMEONE ELSE’S STATUS… GOSH!

44. Dragon246

Actually I feel next-gen consoles should be made of hardware worth at least 500$-600$ and then sold at 100$ less. Even though a higher price will lead to slow sales early on, its hardware will be viable for longer period and sales will eventually increase.
    Or they could release a 300-400$ console every 4-5 years which is probably what everyone will do, which is also fine and maybe better as it will lead to good sales throughout the generations life cycle and will decrease the case of buyers remorse for early adopters.

45. Ireland Michael

This guy is clearly a troll.

46. OlderGamer

I am thinking the samething Mike, gonna be hard to follow any conversations with him doing crap like that.

47. Da Man

This is all legit, american government promotes Engrish as the definitive tongue by leaking these documents.

48. OrbitMonkey

The only problem with leaks/fakes like this, is that their usually twice as good as what you actually get…

49. shangothomas

@44 is talking sense if the 720 is gonna be 6x powerfull and comes for 300$ then i hope it stays for 4 years n not 6 or 10 thats gonna hurt!!

50. G1GAHURTZ

Well, well, well…

This story’s getting more and more interesting…

Looks like all of this was not only known, but also reported over a month ago, before E3: http://nukezilla.com/2012/05/04/exclusive-next-xbox-to-have-blu-ray-support-augmented-reality-glasses/

The whole SmartGlass thing is in there. It was reported, but almost none of the major sites picked it up.

(Hmmm… maybe they were too busy talking about Sony getting ready to announce a ‘cloud deal’!)

51. Moonwalker1982

@ 50 oh ok…that’s rather weird. Indeed no other site to my knowledge picked that story up. And now all of a sudden they come with it….

And the document is gone from Scribd now, due to copyright infringement.

52. G1GAHURTZ

It doesn’t matter, the whole world knows about it now…

Here’s another bit of supporting evidence about the Kinect glasses from a story back in March that references back to 2010: http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/03/microsoft-invents-projector-eyewear-for-xbox-beyond.html

There are just too many different factors for this to be fake, now.

EDIT:

And here’s Sony’s version that includes a tablet controller (for the PS4?): http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/03/sony-patent-reveals-new-3d-controller-for-single-or-multiplayer-games.html

53. OrbitMonkey

Eurgh!! Fuck all this scary change!! I’m getting myself a second hand mega-drive!!

54. DSB

@53 You do that. I’ll get the beer.

Make sure you get Captain America and the Avengers, and General Chaos for it!

55. absolutezero

Can I come too?

56. OrbitMonkey

^ The more the merrier, bring your own beer, I got the snacks ;-)

57. shogoz

ummm “six times as powerful” I think you meant to write “six times MORE powerful”. As powerful means what it implies

58. Anders

The document has been removed at the request of Covington & Burling LLP, which is a law firm employed by – among others – Microsoft. Legitimacy confirmed?

59. G1GAHURTZ

I’m surprised that people actually still doubt this is legit.

A two year old document that talks about SmartGlass and Kinect glasses…

Who faked it… a time traveller!?

And now it’s been taken down by a big money law firm who probably charge $1000 just to phone their number.

Shocking.

60. bo_7md

The specs aren’t far fetched to be too ridiculous. Who knows it might be MS trying to measure public response by leaking some info; this way they get feedback without the backlash of kids going “OMGz Deeze zpecs suxk!!”

61. JRNO

Went through the entire document.
    All of this seems too well thought-out to be made up. Also, the fact that a lawfirm took down the document implies something.

62. fearmonkey

After reading the articles and spending time going throught the document, I think it’s probably a legit docuement, though stuff could have changed from the time it was written. Also, at the very end “Todd” is mentioned, I wonder if anyone can peg that name with a MS position that fits….

I find it disapointing though, the actual article says 4 to 6 times more powerful, not just a straight 6x. The console is exactly what i feared, a moderately more powerful console that is trying to be a cable box, includs Kinect, and focuses on gadgets rather than a more powerful console. They mention Xbox TV reveal in 2012, could they announce that at the MS conference tommorrow? If so, it would make it even more legit.

I think Sony must be happy, not too often you get a competitors roadmap… I’m hoping sony doesnt go the same route, or this “next gen” is really just a current gen 1.5….

63. fearmonkey

The “Todd” in the article looks to be Todd Holmdahl (corporate vice president of Gaming and Xbox Products Group) from Microsoft.

64. Moonwalker1982

We can’t see the article anymore though. But you mean his name was in those documents?

65. OrbitMonkey

@fearmonkey, The nex gen will not be a graphical revolution mate, not for consoles anyway. It’ll be all about multi connectivity & fixed userbase.

66. Moonwalker1982

Maybe not a revolution, but definitely alot better, not the Xbox to X360 or PS2 to PS3 improvement, but most definitely a significant improvement.

67. Gheritt White

Firstly, $299 is way to cheap for the next Xbox, it’ll probably cost $50 to $100 more.

Secondly, all ‘Xbox next’ units will ship with ‘Kinect next’ – you won’t have the option of not buying one until much later, if at all.

Lastly, the next Xbox will * definitely* NOT be called the Xbox 720. Microsoft’s marketers hate the name and feel it impinges on the console’s traction in the traditional family living room.

The release date sounds pretty accurate, though.

68. Erthazus

^ Agree with everything. Especially with the name.
    XBOX 720. What does it mean? That it’s finally can do 720p image?

also, about the price. 299 USD for a 6 series of ATI and ok CPU is a price they can do actually.

69. Gheritt White

In which case, I stand corrected. If they can make $299, good luck to them! I, for one, won’t be getting my hopes up. £349 seems much more realistic.

70. G1GAHURTZ

Xbox 720 is obviously just a quick and easy moniker that’s been used before marketing even get anywhere near coming up with a name for it.

There’s no point in paying someone good money to come up with a name, then trademark, copyright and final stamp it before you’ve even got a green light for the project. Because the doc definitely looks like an internal milestone presentation.

The price does seem very low to me, though. But having said that, I’m sure it’s just a target price. If you read Pat’s making of the original Xbox, iirc, they needed to come up with a (speculative) price before it was green lit, too.

71. Da Man

What’s this? Erzamess having another fabulous day by being a top contributor to a thread about a toy his mom won’t be buying him anyways? Will he be posting about ‘purchasing’ it on launch and subsequently ‘selling’ it, like he did with Posv? I wonder.

Shocker.

72. OlderGamer

How much more powerful is the xbox360 then the xboxone? And same question for the PS3 over the PS2?

Cause I really don’t think the jump was huge from xbox one to xb360. I remember playing Halo 2 in HD on xbox, and laughing because Halo 3 on xbox360 wasn’t much of an improvment graphicly.

I think the gap bewteen last gen and this gen was much bigger for Platystation system. PS2 was a releativly weak system and the PS3 is the best system(graphicly) of this gen.

The reason I am wondering all of this is because if the next xbox is 4-6X more powerful, does that mean pure graphical power, or do you folks think the graphics won’t be much of an improvemt over what we see on PS3? Because people have been ballparking WiiU as slightly more powerful then PS3. Does this doc from MS indicate that xbox next will also only be slightly more powerful then PS3?

Does this mean that Sony could compete against Nintendo AND MS next gen offerings while staying with its current PS3 system?

I have been saying for months, maybe years, that next gen will not be a revolution of graphical power. So this isn’t much of a suprise to me. i am guess sharper, smoother, faster graphics. But the main focus is going to be on services not games next gen. But even I was expecting more. Maybe it is still too early to tell.

I still don’t believe the price point on that doc. I am sorry but no way. I would believe 299usd if you have to sign a two year LIVE deal at 10 or 15 usd a month(and it could be if the system is going to make use of its 4G abilities, the data plan could be more then that).

I also don’t belive this doc was leaked by accident. The whole thing smells of PR to me. E3 recovery. Leaked days/weeks before WiiU starts going on tour and stores start taking preoders. That is what I mean when I say Fake. We seem to have two camps of thought being touted, one is people think the whole thing is 100% BS. And the second wants to believe that the thing is a blueprint/roadmap for MS next gen. The truth is likly somewhere in between. This could have been based on or even a real doc. But those ideas where most likly general directions/pitches or ideas for moving the next xbox forward. Likly many things from the doc are going to be changed. Maybe improved, maybe removed. That is how these type of docs are, they are used in company presentations and meetings. They are often projections, that get altered.

What I don’t like is the seemingly over focus on things not video games. I don’t want smartglass(as i understand it). I don’t even have my kinect conected to my xb360, I don’t want a kinect 2 intgrated to a new system. I don’t want xbox TV, likly I will have to have a cable provider anyways(just like how I can’t use ESPNU on my xbox360 w/o also paying for a TV package that includes ESPNU from my cable company)(meaning that if I already can get the channel or channels on cable, why do I need them on xbox live as well?) I do not need a console with 4G, that is just silly. I can see why some people with really bad or no braodband could want that, but based on cell phones pricing structure, can you imagine the price a data plan for a console?

What i want out of my new systems are two things.

Thing one is raw graphical power. I am not a graphics whore, really. But I game on PC. And I have 10 year old games running 100+ fps and 1080p, they are stunning and are better in most cases then what I am playing on PS360 already. I understand PC will almost always be ahead of consoles, but get it close.

The only way I will buy a system w/o graphical power is if the system offers games and gameplay experiences that are so unique, different, and compeling that they capture my inner child and gamer. They have to be fun. For everyone that will mean something different, i am sure. When I see what WiiU can do, I want one. It isn’t that its graphics will blow me away, but the games will captivate my imagination and hold my intrests.

I am not passing judgemnt on somethine not out yet(xbox next), but I don’t take away anything from the “leak” that would lead me to believe the new system will do anything to impress me. I am expecting new services, higher price Live Gold(actualy expecting another teir of LIVE called platnium or something), lots and lots of social conectivity(which I don’t enjoy – I don’t even have a facebook page or twitter account), and as for games just more of the same game franchises we already have, most of which bore me already.

Keep in mind I used to play xbox and xbox360 near exclusivly. I just haven’t been conecting with MS for the past couple of years. And I don’t see that changing in the forseeable future. But, time will tell and I am not gonna be one of those idiots that closes his mind off about something we know so little about.

The coming year should be an interesting ride, to say the least.

73. Gheritt White

As I understand it, you don’t need to worry about the next gen’s graphical output. By all accounts, both high-end consoles will offer a significant, noticeable and attractive leap forward.

74. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t think that there’s anyone who believes that it’s a blueprint or definite plan of action.

As I remember, the doc started with the question: ‘Why do we need an xbox 720?’

If they’d already agreed and finalised what they were going to do, there would be absolutely no need for that question. Don’t forget that the doc is two years old. If they had a finalised spec sheet, and all of the details ironed out, it also wouldn’t make sense to keep it in a cupboard and delay release until 2013.

The whole thing, as I said before, looks exactly like an internal milestone document. Its purpose is to be so that the decision makers can see where the project is, where it’s going and where to move from that point.

I’m pretty sure that many things mentioned in the doc are more than open to change.

However, what I don’t think they’ll change are the major ideas, such as (obviously) SmartGlass, Kinect v2 and the Kinect glasses.

75. daytripper

@74 I hope the actual specs of the machine improve

76. speedxl01

Shame they are not considering free online for silver subs.

77. polygem

tadaa…and now an xbox branded tablet called surface…Wiill U finally believe it?

78. Erthazus

^ this is tablet?

79. OlderGamer

“I really believe that PC will win out in the long run over consoles. Well, let me clarify. Game “services” will win out, and PC will be a huge part of that. I fully expect MS to expand LIVE next gen to cover multiple devices like Tablets, Phones, and PC. I know they dable now, but I mean full fledge Steam/Origin style services. I think it is reasonable for Activision to use battlenet. And I think publishers will carry their franchises and brand across multi platforms. Maybe they stream them, maybe just downloads, but I think that is where it is heading. I think the platform you play on will matter less then it does now, might be an xbox interface, a Playstation one, an Apple one, a PC, or even a tablet.”

A quote from Me.

A MS tablet makes sense. How it gets used remains to be seen.

80. Erthazus

^ this is tablet?

this is madness. If that thing is real then it’s awesome. Tablet spec’s are very good. No, they are amazing.

Shader model 5, 5 GB Of ram. I dunno, list of specs is too good to be true or it can cost you over 9000 US dollars lol.

81. DrDamn

That sounds like some sort of console/tablet hybrid. Something you could bring round a friends place and play on the table, or connect up to the TV. Components – even down to a 2.5″ HDD would make it too thick to be considered a tablet as such. It’s more of a console with a screen on it.

Interesting, but likely BS.

82. Dragon246

I dont know what innovations are ms bringing xbox 720 except kinect 2, but one has to admit kinect is a very useful piece of hardware with uses extending far beyond gaming. Maybe someday someone can get a good idea for a game for kinect (or kinect 2).
    Sony maybe launching those biometric controllers we heard about earlier.An awesome idea on paper.Imagine a game which your mental state affects the game in real time.
    Now as with Wii U, looks like ninty like 2 screens too much, as now both 3ds and wiiu have it. Its best use yet, accessing maps, weapons and everything else on gamepad. Really? I thought pause menu or HUD was just for the same thing and definitely works awesomely in this department. Furthermore, tell me how a person can concentrate on 2 screens at once without taking off one of them?
    Of course, unless they want to change the human race itself by making them able to see 2 things at once like a chameleon.
    If controllers have a screen, its called a handheld console, looks like ninty forgot that. Innovating just for the sake of it does not work.
    @76,
    That is precisely why people working on pricing scheme of live are pure ass*****. Charging for something that is free on psn is foolish. But then I guess people who pay for it are even more foolish as they allow themselves to get ripped off by ms.

83. shogoz

I wouldnt be surprised if this was leaked on purpose. I mean cmon, just after E3 when the Wii-U was shown off? I guess this means the tech specs for the Wii-U must finally be out. ima go look nao

84. G1GAHURTZ

Although it’d almost definitely scream *INSTABUY* if it was true…

I think I’ll believe the tablet thing ‘when I see it’.

@82: MS are working on augmented reality glasses (just like Google are), which can be used as a controller. So are Sony.

If these things are released in around 2015, Nintendo will have to follow, or they’ll be finished IYAM.

85. Erthazus

Augmented reality glasses are a stupid idea.

3D glasses already proved that people don’t enjoy wearing these stuff no matter how cool 3d is. Not everyone likes to wear glasses.
    some people wear them because they need them and that is the point of “glasses”.

I’m not sure that people will wear glasses to check someone on facebook while wearing them Playing games? I don’t want to be distracted because that is just a Fad.

86. G1GAHURTZ

3D glasses are rubbish for a number of reasons. Augmented reality is completely different.

This is a very crude example, but I’m sure you can see why MS would be pushing this for the mass market.

You might think it’s a stupid idea, but it’s an idea that I think is going to be difficult to get away from over the next few years.

87. Erthazus

Just look at the people https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147/posts
    They look stupid. No way i will wear these in public.

“Google are spending millions on this kind of technology, and now so are Sony and MS.”

Sony and other major electronic companies spent millions on 3D glasses too and nothing worked in the end.
    Just because companies spent millions does not mean it will reach that audience. There are a lot of examples and it’s not just glasses.

88. G1GAHURTZ

Like I said, that’s because they’re rubbish.

3D glasses are a completely different thing.

It’s like saying that DVDs would fail because LaserDisc did. You can’t compare the two.

89. Erthazus

So why they are rubbish?

What’s the difference between glasses and glasses?

90. G1GAHURTZ

So called 3D glasses are rubbish for loads of reasons.

1. They don’t even work for everyone. Some people don’t see the effect, some get dizzy, some even get severe headaches. They’re not like a TV where 99.999% of people all see the exact same picture.

2. They’ve always been pitch black. Wearing pitch black glasses indoors is just too stupid for people to take seriously.

3. The effect isn’t even 3D. All you get is a bit off extra depth. The effect isn’t even that good compared to watching some ultra high HD stuff on a high contrast ratio.

4. The idea contradicts itself. Watching something “3D” on a flat screen is pretty much false advertising.

5. Technical restrictions. A whole range of issues have affected 3D glasses based technology over the years, from a lack of a high resolution (although maybe not any more), to super low viewing angles.

6. Price. Doesn’t really need explaining, does it?

91. Erthazus

Ok. Good points.

But i disagree about 6th because Google glasses will cost a lot for sure.

92. manamana

@89 you ever drove a car with a HUD? If so, you can probably imagine how awesome it must be, to have any kind of informations just infront of you when you need them, while you are fully aware of your surroundings. This AR shit is hot and if released to the masses, they will buy it for shure. Let there be some killer Apps for that and you have the next big thing.

3D is also here to stay but not in the red/green or polarizing or shutter manner. It will shine with higher resolutions and new display technology but it also, like AR glasses, needs more time and its just the beginning of whats to come in the future.

93. Ireland Michael

Lets just hope they actuslly remember to bring some decent games along for the ride.

94. manamana

^ so true, as I sense they are going to take the xbox brand into the whole cloud and entertainment park.

95. daytripper