Over 4.7 million unique online viewers watched the MLG Spring Championship

Thursday, 14th June 2012 16:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

MLG has announced its Spring Championship held in Anaheim over E3 weekend garnered over 4.7 million unique online viewers compared to the 3.5 million unique viewers which tuned in for all 2011 Pro Circuit weekends combined.

According to a graphic posted by MLG, via Forbes, during the Championship held on Sunday, 2.2 million unique online viewers tuned in, and at one point, the series had 437,000 peak concurrent online viewers compared to the 241,000 peak for the 2011 National Championship.

Over 20,000 spectators showed up to the actual event as well to watch the StarCraft II and League of Legends teams battle it out.

MLG is getting rather popular.

Thanks, Talkar.

1. Talkar

I think, and i stress this because i don’t have any research to support this, but i think that it also helped alot that KeSPA was there. Those players were sick! i stayed up until 10 in the morning to watch them play! Furthermore Dustin Browder and Mike Morhaime were among the audience, as were a lot of other Blizzard employees, and the two aforementioned even gave interviews!
    Here are the interviews for those interested:

2. Da Man

They’re testosterone fuelled 12 year olds who are mere victims of Xbl advertisements.

I disapprove of Mlg.

3. OrbitMonkey

Soon to be a Olympic event no doubt… Good news for South Korea :-)

4. Hirmetrium

Don’t forget that Heart of the Swarm’s most recent MP build was there. The pro’s wanted to be one step ahead – makes sense I guess.

Da Man – MLG is no longer about those silly 12 yo XBL players. It’s been thoroughly taken over by Starcraft II. It’s almost foolish to discount it anymore – it is a big e-sports event.

5. Kabby

Halo has been replaced with League of Legends.

6. Da Man

Hey, Hirmetrium.. I was being gasp, sarcastic and Snipedown isn’t 12 y/o.

Also, SC sucks.

7. Talkar

Please do tell me about your 10+ years of game development and/or longterm career as a progamer. No? Oh well i guess what you said is about as valuable as a another drop of water in an ocean.

8. Da Man

^Yes. 5 years.

I find it amazing that you compare developers with ‘e-sports’ though anyway.

I mean, you ‘ve just put people who develop software (and professionally at that) with someone who plays computer toys but gets payed.. Well done, you ‘ve insulted every single coder and modeller out there by putting them alongside some lowly toy warriors.

Might as well compare e-sex with irl. Say, user ‘Talkar’, do I need to describe my personal life to you to be entitled to say that virtual sex is idiotic?

Sorry, toy called ‘Starcraft’ is shit, you massive nerd.

9. OrbitMonkey

^ So your a dev who dislikes the guys who buy your product? Not very nice.

Though your point about comparing the devs & esport players being daft is spot on.

10. Da Man

Nah, I dislike pricks, and twats…

I was just mocking the comparison, no offense.

I have no idea why would someone be pissed at a person casually noting that a video game sucks (I mean I don’t say this in every single SC article, nor do I say SC is a Dune clone or something idiotic like that).. Must be really someone insecure. I suppose deep down there you know ‘e-sports’ sounds funny.