Jaffe – “next generation of hardware will be the last”

Thursday, 14th June 2012 15:12 GMT By Stace Harman

Ex-Sony man and creator of Twisted Metal and God of War says consoles have had their time and will be gone within 10 years, but he concedes that his track record for predicting industry trends isn’t the best.

David Jaffe, formerly of Sony Computer Entertainment America and Eat Sleep Play, has decreed that “consoles are going away”, and that the future of gaming lies in streaming services.

Speaking to GI International, Jaffe said “”Look, consoles are going away. I think in 10 years – probably sooner, but 10 years is always the safe thing to say so you don’t sound like an idiot – but here’s what I’ll say: I’ll go on the record and say that the next generation of hardware will be the last consoles. And they should be.”

He went on to say that he expects the likes of Sony will still make hardware capable of playing games but that “you’ll probably buy a television that streams the stuff. And you’ll still have Sony, loud and proud and strong making these great, big, epic games like God of War and Uncharted, and they’ll be making great little games like Sound Shapes, but they’ll become more like movie studios for video games.”

Jaffe also revealed that he’s not blown away by Nintendo’s efforts with the Wii U:

“I don’t see the Wii U and say ‘oh my God I have to have that.’ … it’s not like I’m knocking it but I would say that I wasn’t blown away by any individual piece of software that was exclusive to Wii U,” he said.

Jaffe went on to say that he doesn’t believe that the Wii U will be “anywhere near the success of the Wii,” before conceding, “But I don’t f***ing know – I mean I thought PSP was going to clobber the DS. I’m in the industry, I make a living in the industry, but I have no track record of guessing this shit.”

Jaffe’s comments concerning the death of consoles echo comments made recently by Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli, who said “I suspect that the next-generation of home consoles will be the last one,” while Id co-founder John Carmack believes the next generation will be a long one and that dedicated consoles could become the “…niche of people who want the extreme experience there.”

1. Pellesam

The same thing was said about hte internet…

2. Ali Hayas

Going with Carmack.

3. Gadzooks!

Is there no way to shut this grinning chuff smear up? Jaffe could possibly be the single most annoying developer in history

GZ

4. Freek

Seems like an odd thing to say when you already have streaming and downloading for movies and music, today, now.
    And it’s way easier and takes way less dedicated hardware then games would.

Are CDs and DVDs and Blu-rays dead? Nope.

Why would games be any different?

FOr the last ten years people have been saying “in 10 years, PC/console will be dead”.
    10 years go by and nothin happens. You’d think people would stop predicting it.

5. Hellhound30x

Yeah, not looking forward to “digital distribution” myself, or “streaming.” I wonder if I’m just to “old school” or something. I like having something “Tangible” in my hands. I just want something I can justify spending “REAL” money on… I’d like a real product.
    (My game collections says so too.)
    You can’t show off a digital library to your friends without a computer.

6. Gadzooks!

Not that bothered about digital distribution myself, but streaming is totally out of the question. Controller responsiveness is very important, and streaming introduces unacceptable lag.

7. MegaGeek1

@7 “hahahahah”

8. Anders

@1 Who has ever said that the internet is going away?

9. ManuOtaku

It will be the last, but for you if you keep making so buggy games like your last one, for that i agree with you, now please instead of this spend the time doing a good game without any bugs.

10. fearmonkey

While I respect Jaffe for his contributions, I disagree with his opinions most of the time, and this time is no exception….

I doubt consoles are “done” anytime real soon. I believe it’s possible that gaming networks might get bigger and better and become a force in the market though. Onlive and Gaikai are simply the next generation of services like Mplayer (anyone remember that?)

High end consoles are here to stay for awhile, when everyone has a super high speed internet connection, then the transition to internet only is possible. Until then, its an option rather than a replacement.
    (Also, as long as ISP’s place data caps on their connections, that is hurting online services as well)

11. TD_Monstrous69

I’m with you on this one fearmonkey. I’ve got onthing but the upmost respect for David Jaffe, but as far as consoles dying out in 10 years, I don’t see that happening. Change the way in which its structured, definitely, but as far as be non-existent, for something that’s been driving creation in games for a majority of 15 years, maybe longer (not a shot at PC gaming!!! So linghten up some of you ready with Molotov cocktails, looking for a flame war), it’d be a huge a stretch to say that’d just up and disappear because of change within technology and the industry itself.

12. Gigabomber

Jaffe, back in your cage.

13. Gheritt White

The guy is right – the next gen is the last one and is currently being developed to have an 8 – 10 year life-cycle.

To be honest, John Carmack’s prediction are bang on the money, IMHO. And he is a guy who would know for sure.

The only big disruptive force to change this I can foresee is if Valve released an upgradeable Steambox.

14. manamana

He also stated “We’ll always have great games and bleeding edge graphics… it’s just going to be a new delivery mechanism” – this, I believe.

15. Dragon246

8-10 year cycle = Bleeding edge graphics now = 800$ ps4, xbox 360 = zero sales = next-gen ends in 2 years as Ms and sony leave the business
    Although this is probably not happening ( at least with sony )