Metal Gear Online shuttering today

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 09:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Just a reminder that Metal Gear Online, the optional multiplayer component of 2008 release Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is closing down forever today. The third-person team shooter fills us with fond memories of ridiculously long download times, irritating registration requirements and being shouted at by player character drill sergeants before you were allowed to actually play, and will be sorely missed. Possibly. Visit Konami’s announcement page for more information, and while you’re there, notice the mention of “this iteration of Metal Gear Online”. Hello, imminent Metal Gear Online 2 announce?

1. Ali Hayas

Well, even though I haven’t played the online mode for more than 5 days before I sold MGS4, I truly enjoyed it. It wasn’t really balanced but it was fun. I remember having a great time beating the other players while listening to Snake Eater’s theme.

2. ItsFade

MG:O could probably have been pretty big if they didn’t use the Konami log in stuff, I remember it was such a pain in the ass to use when the game first game out.

3. Ireland Michael

The whole thing was a mess. The engine was bad and wasn’t made to support that kind of game, the registration was needlessly convoluted, and the whole thing was an unbalanced mess.

4. absolutezero

It was wonderfully broken and reminded me of something you would randomly find on a garry’s mod server.

Still it was packed to the brim with options for every single playstyle and if you played smart enough you could overcome most things thrown at you.

Its a damn shame that the game got taken over by the po-faced “No lock on, headshots only” crowd. Its such a silly game that it deserved a more light hearted audience.

Magazine on top of a Gas Satchel is always fun. Then you go roll around on top of whoever got hit in the blast.

5. Erthazus

@2, true.

That was the only reason why i never even touched the multiplayer.

6. Crab of Thunder

Yeah it had a lot of problems and there was a god awful log on system, but once you got past that there was truly a quite unique and engaging Multiplayer that had some great game modes and a raft of customisation. On top of this however was a vile community, but they weren’t all bad.

7. xino

dunno why people are reporting this when no one plays it!

only the fans who play it will acknowledge the shutting down date

8. absolutezero

Thats sort of the point.

9. CycloneFox

With Uncharted 3′s or Gears of War’s multiplayer MGO was the best 3rd person multiplayer experience ever, in my opinion. And I mostly prefer 3rd person games since … I think Jedi Knight:Dark Forces 2 back in 1997.

I really loved MGO and I hope a third one will come someday soon.

10. NeoSquall

I never had the time to try it.
    Such a shame.

11. TraceableX

Played it till the end.
    MGO2 is my favorite MP game.

Farewell.

Konami sucks.

12. Kuwabara

@ 11, your mum sucks. I couldnt play the damm game cause somehow i forgot my password, and there was nothing i could do. they wouldnt send me an email to reset it, it was a pain. So i had to pay for a new character to use, but never did.