Sony: PS Plus ‘amplified’ with more free games, but everything else will remain the same

Monday, 11th June 2012 12:38 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Jack Tretton announced the addition of a lot of new games to PlayStation Plus at E3, but left some thinking about how exactly the service was changing. Fear not: it’s business as usual, apparently.

Joystiq decided to address the concerns to senior director of PlayStation digital platforms, Jack Buser.

“Everything that you’ve enjoyed from PlayStation Plus remains very much the same. It’s still the same PlayStation Plus,” he said.

“So if you love the huge discounts, if you love the exclusive access to betas, if you love the other things that are also delivered by the service, you’re going to see that those other things are still a part of PlayStation Plus – the cloud saves, the automatic updates, all that other stuff.”

The only difference is the inclusion of more free games, which we’re sure no-one will complain about.

“What we’ve announced is that we’re amplifying the free games aspect of PlayStation Plus,” he said. “We are really ratcheting that up, because that’s what the community told us they wanted to see,” Buser added.

1. KAP

PSPlus was fine before the free games, its now loads better.
    Thanx SCE

2. Deacon

I never thought I would find myself with TOO MANY GAMES…. but that’s where I’m at now PS+ has done this. We all have a backlog, but mine just doubled.

3. Dragon246

And still morons say ps plus is not worthy of money. Well I guess that is why they are morons. They like to pay for xbox live and hate ps plus.

4. speedxl01

@2 That’s right I got some games I wanted a lot, I was just waiting for them to get discounted, now I got them free!! Thank you Sony “instant 12 games + 3 each month.. this is great”

I hope more users realize that what they are paying to MS,(online play) should be free.

5. Beta

The amount of content I’ve got off my first year’s subscription is insane! Definitely renewing when it expires.

6. The_Deleted

Saved a fortune with the last update, some of the games I have but it’s still stupid good value.

7. DrDamn

Even ones you have you can make some money trading in if you don’t mind losing the boxed version.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Yes, but should you ever cancel your subscriptions or the service ends, what then? You won’t be able to play them at all.

I’m a Plus subscriber, I love what they give, but I’m all too aware that it’s also something of a mouse-trap. If I really, *really* want a game, I’m going to pay for it.

9. DrDamn

Sure, that’s why I said if you don’t mind. Realistically how much more play do you want from these games? The ones you really like and want to keep you buy, stuff like Darksiders I bought but haven’t got round to playing yet. I’ll sell it on and the cost of my sub is reduced.

Plus anything you sell now you will likely be able to pick up cheaper when your sub is up for renewal and you want to cancel. They keep the value up I can’t see myself cancelling anytime soon.