E3 2012: VG247 staff take day one apart in video chat

Tuesday, 5th June 2012 12:07 GMT By Staff

Watch VG247′s Pat Garratt, Brenna Hillier and Johnny Cullen talk through E3 2012′s first press conference day. Warning: this footage contains the phrase “actual penetration”.

For written analysis of the press conferences hit this. For our complete coverage of all the press conference news, hit this.

1. absolutezero

Beards

Heavy Rain had Ethan’s stupid blackouts which went completely un-explained, like when he’s waiting for Shaun at the park. The origami figures aswell that just seem to turn up randomly. I do agree that Beyond looks like a strange hollywood teen action movie, like I Am Number 4. Or that film with the guy from Twilight running form something.

2. Patrick Garratt

Everyone needs a beard for E3.

3. kupocake

Beards and Cats and Swears, oh my!

4. G1GAHURTZ

Every man needs a beard for life!

5. Gekidami

Yeah, as absolutezero says, Heavy Rain did have super natural elements but they were cut, unfortunately the result wasnt, so we had these unexplained black outs.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Pat’s version of Heavy Rain is different to Johnny’s.

7. Johnny Cullen

I WAS RIGHT! \o/

8. xino

no supernatural in Heavy Rain collin…:/

have you guys slept yet?

dunno man…last years E3 was more exciting, I remember Patrick getting stressed because he couldn’t handle all info and games overload.

Watch_Dogs was the most surprising game of E3.

lets wait for NIntendo: please don’t be chessy man:/

9. djhsecondnature

Very interesting. Here are my thoughts:

Jigsaw pieces in third-person shooters: It’s kind of needed really, similarity in genres is key and it’s just the core mechanic to those genres. Like jumping is to a platformer.

Kinect: Has become a sophisticated microphone.

Violence in Last of Us: It felt very necessary, all for your survival and entirely life or death, not that you were one guy who could run and gun to eliminate an army.

10. Patrick Garratt

So it didn’t have any supernatural elements, then :-/

11. djhsecondnature

Re: Heavy Rain – I don’t remember any supernatural elements at all so I’m with you Pat :-)

12. Patrick Garratt

There aren’t any. I didn’t know there were any in the original cut, though.

13. Gekidami

No, there arent any in the final game, just plot holes where it used to be.

I find it odd that Pat doesnt seem to be on board with the more grittier games, seems we’ve had a whole gen of ‘fun violence’. Nothing wrong with a game that doesnt make violence look like cool, hilarious fun.

14. fightclubdoll

I’m wondering if anyone else thought that the UBISOFT presentation at E3 was a total horror. From the crass presenter and the script down to the way the majority of the games were presented; I thought it was a absolute nightmare, with miserably few bright spots that were altogether cancelled out by the glut of shock marketing, gratuitous violence (understatment), exploitation of women(including a full-scale jungle rape scene – Hitman Absolution Saints pales in comparison even as bad as it was), and unmitigated insults to the intelligence and creativity of players everywhere.

At the start of the presentation, the presenter even dared to begin with the claim that Ubisoft games were inspired by and try to depict and celebrate real life. What followed was a relentless indictment of that preposterous assertion. Later on, after the appalling presentation for Far Cry 3, the presenter said, “I want to go out and get a tiger now, just to shoot it.”

WTH Ubisoft? I am staggered by how that E3 presentation has taken my neutral to positive notions of Ubisoft and slammed them down into a filth-ridden abyss from which recovery seems unlikely if ever to occur.
    That is how gob-smackingly awful I thought it was. I daresay that the audience and gaming world deserve compensation for the mere exposure to that audio-visual atrocity perpetrated against humanity and gaming.
    …I feel a little better, but there’s no way I’m getting Far Cry 3.

15. DSB

Wow, look at that. Google Plus is still around!

16. PEYJ

@15 Of course it is.

I disagree about the motion-stuff. I think was a lot of it but for Microsoft’s part it was spread out on games, voice-control and media-stuff. As for Move, they didn’t talk about the inclusion in (or showed the game) Littlebigkart but they did spend a lot of time on the Rawling game. That would have been better suited for floor showing only and replaced with some more Vita stuff.

I agree about Tomb Raider looking way too much like Uncharted but I don’t think there were any cover mechanics in that game (could be wrong). As for The Last of Us the cover shooting part of the game had a different vibe to it compared to Uncharted.

17. clivegorman

Pat laying down the law about the lack of supernatural content in Heavy Rain! I’ll have to check out the Beyond trailer now.

18. YoungZer0

@9: Very much agree on the violence. It definitely feels necessarily. I mean just the first kill of Joel, no quick neck-snapping but instead a long choking scene. Killing in this game doesn’t seem to be exciting, but rather disgusting. I mean you feel bad at the end for that guy, but killing him seems necessary.

The tone of the game really shines best when he throws that Molotov Cocktail at the guy and the girl is just horrified to which Joel replies “Keep it together”.

19. OrbitMonkey

I don’t know if I can handle a game that tries to handle violence in a mature, realistic manner… I’m off to play Saints Row!!