Rumour: Sony to make PS3 backwards compatible with Gaikai deal

Friday, 1st June 2012 12:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

GI’s rumouring that Sony is to being PSone and PS2 games to PS3 via a streaming deal with Gaikai, supporting recent talk.

According to the GI report, the service will offer first-party games and also allow third-party publishers to stream back catalogues.

The partnership is likely to be announced at E3 as part of Sony’s conference on Monday.

Gaikai already carries portfolios from Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Capcom, but all titles so far have been for PC.

Sony initially carried BC for PS3 from its launch in March 2009, but dropped support after the introduction of PS3 Slim back in August 2009.

Sony recently introduced PS2 Classics for the PlayStation Store for PS3 in the US and Europe. Some of the games as part of the program include Max Payne, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and SSX On Tour.

Users can also purchase PS1 Classics from the PS Store.

1. BlockheadBrown

I mentioned this to a friend the other day. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is their plan for PS-PS3 backwards compatibility on the PS4 (Orbis).

2. G1GAHURTZ

Just as I suspected…

Right, well now that we know all the details, we don’t need to bother with the Sony conference anymore.

3. Cozzy

I suppose this makes those PS4 specs a little more realistic.

4. StolenGlory

I’m confused.

Why would Sony do this when they can just keep on rehashing stuff in HD and making folks pay for it?

5. K-V-C

not every classic ps2 game is gonna get a remake like grand theft auto for example and plus if this did happen alot of people would be happy me including tekken 4 ooo yea

6. Razor

I think everybody called this when rumour came to light.

Makes perfect sense. If it works properly, it will be huge.

7. DrDamn

You think this will be free?

8. StolenGlory

I realise that it won’t be *every* title that gets remade, but what will be left? Seriously? They’re not going to double-dip the HD stuff that they have out in stores (largely the good stuff) are they?

Of course not, but i’m not sure if it would be more financially benefical to them or not than the traditional retail/digi-distro route of releasing HD remakes.

9. KAP

Sony will have won an E3 once more If this is true.

10. StolenGlory

In theory it sounds great, but as a long-term cloud gamer myself, I still don’t think the broadband infrastructure is sufficent anywhere to really do the idea justice.

I just don’t think Joe Consumer will be able to accept the latency difference.

11. OlderGamer

I think think this rumour is a bit off. Apply it to BC on the PS4, and I think you have it. Unless Sony can make and put new games on it that are beyond the PS3 systems limitation(effectivly put it in the next gen level), this is just silly.

It would be like perfecting something your going to throw away.

When the next gen gets here, then what? And next gen begins for Sony/MS in a year. This makes very little sense as a PS3 BC app. Way too much investment for a aging system, in third place.

This has to be something to do with next gen. Has to be.

12. Night Hunter

@11: They can just adopt it for the PS4 when the time comes. This has nothing to do with hardware, porting the system to the Next Gen should be pretty easy.

13. DrDamn

A lot of the big stuff this generation had tentative toes dipped in the water the previous one. Implementing it now gives them a good test ground ready for the next generation.

14. ManuOtaku

If it is Gaikai, well then the demos thing will be an strong posibility then for the PS4, alingside the backwards thing.

15. lexph3re

All I wanna know is….. Will it be compatible with Vita? if it is that would be awesome hands F’n down *slams hands on spikes*

16. beckerist

If their biggest announcement is we get to play games that have been out for 15 years then never mind.

17. daytripper

@9 they are going to win E3 no matter what in your mind. what is “winning” e3 anyway.

18. lexph3re

@16 Idk about you but I haven’t played every ps1 and ps2 game created the last 15 years I didn’t have a job and tons of money at 9. I think it’s great no matter what for classics to get another shot

19. drewbles82

Streaming, hmmm. Be a few years yet till internet is good enough to handle that.

20. OlderGamer

PSx and even PS2 games don’t stand up to the test of time very well Lex. Sure the ones with HD gloss overs are ok. But, esp the early days of 3D, were a bit…ugly. It is often that we remember those games with rose tinted glasses.

SNES, TurboDuo, NeoGeo games(8 and 16bit games in general) hold up graphicly better then much of what was on PSx. I think a lot of gamers would be turned off by these games unless they were cleaned up. The lack of AA alone is a sight to see.

For me, I have a fully BC PS3. I know most don’t. But this many years into a gen, I doubt too many gamers are clamoring for BC. A few high profile HD remakes are more then good for most folks. BC is a big deal as a generation transistions because we all have back piles of games that we realize we won’t be playing soon.

I don’t know about you, but not only do I still have a PSx and a shelf full of games, but if I wanted a game, my local second hand store carries PSx hardware for 20usd, and games range from 1usd to 25usd. Just saying. If I had to have Loaded, Battle Arena Toshenden, or Ridge Racer one, I could get the actual physical games for a song.

I really, really think this streaming applies to futrue hardware. Enabling BC on PS3 is a waste of time. The sands are nearly gone for the hourglass on this gen. If this was five years ago, would be worth more. But offering a past libary of PS, PS2, and PS3 games on PS4 would be significant. Esp if they can also include a cloud version of your retail copy with every new purchase. Buy a new copy of UC5 for PS4 at the store, and it comes with a code to add it to your streamable cloud collection…thats something worthwhile. Make that streamable version playable(at no extra fee) on your Vita…even better.

Giving us Jump Flash streamable for PS3…? Idk…

21. Phoenixblight

Broadband infracstructure is not enough to support PS4 even look at Galkai if you have 5MBs you get XBox 360 on a standard TV quality which mean you would need atleast 20MBs to even push that farther. Infrastructure needs to be improved before cloud gaming can do that type of streaming.

22. lexph3re

I maintain roughly 15-20 mbs on my connection for my ps3 so that’s actually perfect for cloud gaming on my end. The main thing to realize is that yes it won’t be applicable for everyone but it still will be available for the one’s who want/need it.
    If you look at what Sony’s goal is to have a various amount of way to get to the consumer, then this strategy make’s perfect sense. We also should note that if this gen is coming to an end this is the perfect time to experiment with this sort of technology. Sure, we can say this would be perfect for ps4 but what about all the glitches and work around that need to be perfected?
    Do we want to go into next gen hating Sony for making a system with untested features or do you want to be like MS with the original Xbox testing live on the existing console before bringing it to the newer one?
    I think that this is a great opportunity to increase software capabilities and to properly migrate into the next gen of console gaming.

23. OlderGamer

I have the same speeds as Lex does PB.

And I agree with Lex that this could very well be a testing phase for Sony to learn and perfect for future hardware.

24. Phoenixblight

Wasn’t claiming to know your speed but people with 20Mbs or more is the minority where in rural areas like where my parents live the fastest speed they can get is 1MBs would be closer to the majority.

25. Psychotext

This will probably be ok for PS2 games, but if you have to play PS3 games this way I’m going to be very dissapointed. Onlive / Gaikai are fine for casual gamers but plenty of us can see the significant drop in visual fidelity.

26. Da Man

Did you even understand what you ‘ve said?

27. Phoenixblight

I think this Gaikai service is more for the vita than it is for the gamer who plays at home because we can just hook up our PS3 to play our games on our TVs. Gaikai is a service that is more about playing a game off your browser on portable devices than that off your PC assuming you have a PC that can play current gen games.

28. lexph3re

@26 I think you don’t understand what I said. On the original xbox XBL was being tested and perfected and when it merged to 360 it was much more robust. Keep up kid

29. Da Man

Can you elaborate what became more robust?

Nah, I don’t think so.

What was your point again, that Xbl was incomplete on the original Xbox? In that case I say you need your daily Ritalin because it’s like stating PSX was an incomplete PS3.

30. OlderGamer

Da Man, why must you troll so much?

What Lex said is right. The xbl offerings when it first came out were a pale shade of what we have today. Keeping it simple for the sake of this post, but there wasn’t any Xcross game chat, for example. Wasn’t much a of a friends system for another example. I have been a paying live member from the november it launched with Mechassult.

The xbl service has grown and evolved over the years. So, in that way they have indeed perfected it. Worked out the bugs and ironed out the kinks and all of that. They made it better.

That is the crux of what Lex was saying.

31. Ireland Michael

@30 His girlfriend probably isn’t giving him any head,

Or his mom won’t let him go out and play.

32. Erthazus

“Da Man, why must you troll so much?”

Because he is Xbox and Halo fanboy. That’s why. Just stop answering to that Mad Fanboy.

33. Dragon246

Okay , every feature mentioned is great, but if they are going to buy the company, then eventually they should bring forth the “ultimate” feature cloud gaming can provide, ie. playing ALL PC GAMES on your playstation. I know it will require a good internet connection ( I only have a 512Kbps connection , very pitiful I know )but many people have the required connection for it. I think if implemented, this can be the greatest feature ever to grace the consoles. Although I am less than hopeful in this regard.

Also the ps3 console released on march 2007 not 2009.

34. ToxicCrusader

Makes sense. If the current rumours about the PS4 are true, it wont be able to play physical PS3 games. This would be an amazing way of circumventing this issue.

35. Da Man

O’Conner, I don’t practice oral sex. And I dislike cocksuckers btw.

Actually.

Sorry, honey.

Say hi to yours, and have fun with their head.

——-

Also, lex’s post was a stealth drivel.

36. Da Man

Oh, and OlderGamer you pick the wrong side all the time. You really never learn.

Oh well.

37. lexph3re

Stealth drivel? Sorry I didn’t reply as soon as you liked master I was doing something constructive with my time such as working. But, in the end I think 99% of the people who read what I had to say understood it perfectly with you being in the 1%. I have nothing further to prove to you lad because this was actually a constructive conversation until you joined in.

If you can no longer further understand the innovation I am speaking on in regards to perfecting a technology. Well…. To bad others have gotten it.

38. Da Man

I didn’t mind you replying later.

What I don’t understand is why would you use it as an example. Xbl was a complete service on the original. Nxe was a logical continuation. At the time PS2 had barely any online, MS managed to release a complete one, unfortunately for you.

It was quite defensive rather than constrictive btw.

39. lexph3re

It wasn’t defensive in the slightest. It was a comparison of a generation hop. You can’t claim XBL was complete when xbox had a 4 year run. You can’t claim it was complete especially with how much more support and features it got on 360. If it was complete then there would have been no changes at all when they migrated it over to this gen. Not everything is a fight for a platform you know?

I am stating things that should be obvious with technology and how it develops. This move for optional cloud based gaming is perfect for testing bandwidth latency to a larger user base and how to deliver more to the consumer. And, that is again if this rumor is true that these arguments/discussions can even be validated.

40. silkvg247

See, mock PC all you want but this is where it trumps consoles. I can play all of my old games. If I build another new PC tomorrow, I’ll still be able to. Heck I’ve even been playing Diablo 1 lately (it’s as good as ever).

41. Christopher Jack

@40, I can barely play some modern games on mine, everything wants a fight. BF3 crashes every 5 mins & lags like hell, L.A. Noire is stuck at a sync screen, Borderlands crashes every time I go to another area, & everything else either has the odd crash or intolerable lag spikes. Have a Core 2 Quad (Q6660), a Radeon 5670 & 3GB of RAM, nothing earth shattering but it SHOULDN’T have any problems with games but the problems keep on coming.

42. lexph3re

@41 shocking how 5-7 year old consoles with 512mb of ram get’s the job done though right?

43. OlderGamer

CJ, r you still running Vista? Cause we have the same problem on our older PC. Could also be other issues like outdated drivers, even a video card w/outdated shaders. And if your running 3GB(strange number because ram is mostly in sets of 2), that could be a major problem for newer games. RAM is cheap and easy to upgrade.

And in the same way a PS3 won’t be able to run a PS4 game, hardware gets dated. PC or console. As top tech move forward, you need the tech to run them. PC or Console.

It just sounds to me like your in need of a PC upgrade. How old is your PC? Mine is 4 or 5 years old, not sure which, but I play Diablo III on medium settings still. WoW on Max. Dirt Showdown on medium. And Ridge Racer on Medium. KoA on medium high. And Medium is right around PS3 level graphicly, ‘cept I am pulling in 50+fps and more most of the time.

And what Silk said stands, I can play games from years and years ago.

I am playing a Sprint Car Racing game from early PS2 gen for my PC. It runs in 1080p, full screen AA, high glossy textures, and more fps then you are ever going to need. It looks better then anything on PS360 today. And I also own the same exact game for my PS2 where it looks like crap.

PC gaming is full of perks.

The downside, once in awhile you have to upgrade to keep hardware new if you want to play new games. I have already narrowed down my top choice for my next PC, will be getting it this July. It will cost me 550usd. It will last me another four or fives years. I bet PS4 and xbnext cost are in the same ball park, maybe higher.

Said it before, will say it again(just because it annoys some people and that fun just kidding lol ) Gaming in the console world is like swiming in the kiddie pool. When your all growed up, get a PC.

44. silkvg247

@41,42 I’m sure I could rebuild that machine and have it working properly in under 2 hours. None of my machines have ever had issues..

It’s a good point though, consoles have a set build and OS installation so can’t go wrong there. PC’s only behave if you know what you are doing. Problem is likely between desk and chair (no offense CJ!)

@43 If anyone is using Vista I cry real tears for them.

45. Da Man

#39 – Yeah, well it was complete. I can claim it based on the simple fact that nothing was in testing stages. Nothing, see. Not a single online network had more capabilities in 2002, Steam was in beta stages.

Xbl was even delayed until 2002, Combat Evolved didn’t have internet multiplayer because of that.

Funny really..

4 year run has nothing to do with it.. and everything to do with the Xbox being unsuccessful commercially. I don’t even know where you got that from.. Impressive imagination, man. Dreamcast had a 2 year run. Sega Saturn had a .. what, 1 year run.

Silly.

It is esp silly to hide behind others when you can’t even elaborate on it’s features. But that’s beside the point.

You’re making long arse posts full of inane bla bla bla. Not a jab, just saying. Nothing of what you said was constructive in any way.

I’m under an impression that you believe a human can defy anything if he is being dense enough.. A rather deluded understanding of a ‘will’. And even more of a shame that you apply that to toys bought in a store.

46. OrbitMonkey

If this rumour is true, it could be argued that all of the psn services on the PS3 are simply a trail run for Sony…. Not a bad thing either, it’ll be interesting to see how it evolves for the next-gen.

47. OlderGamer

Da Man, Dreamcast says Hello.

I was playing NFL 2K, online. I was playing Quake, Online. I was playing Unreal Online. I was playing Phantasy Star Online. I was playing Daytona USA Online. And I was playing Speed Devils Online on Dreamcast all before MS put out the Xbox.

Sega also had a browser on Sega Saturn.

MS defently helped shape online with xbox one, and evolve it over time. But not like they came up with the idea or even were first to do it.

48. Da Man

Straw man says hi, old man. =)

Besides, Dc online wasn’t even near the same shape. Wow, someone tried to make online enabled console before, they should’ve patented it..

49. lexph3re

I like how you try to use the internet to derail others and try to establish a since of purpose in your life. However, as I have stated before every piece of technology is practically a beta for the next more improved one to come later. If you cannot understand that then all you truely want to do is troll others to get a response out of them.

Personally i dont have anymore time to invest in your sad attempts of derailment. I have a programming exam to take and then on my way to enjoy the rest of my day.

If this rumour is true it would be a excellent way to test the market and improved offerings for current and future tech.

~Peace

50. Da Man

The irony.. A person who uses borderline theist statements applying them to toys.. You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

If you say so. Tbh, this has a lot to do with the grammar, man. You’re my practice. I try to establish a mediocre sense of grammar. It’s still pathetic, so please do not hesitate to point out the mistakes I make.

lexp, you’re a lot like theevilaires.

Good luck with the exam, chump. Next time try to word your agenda a tad bit better.

51. Ireland Michael

@50 The only one like TEA is you mate, and the sad thing is that you seem oblivious to the fact that almost everyone reading your posts sees it.

52. Da Man

Mate, I act like a prick with folks who like to post stealth drivels. Simple as that.

xoxo

53. Ireland Michael

“Mate, I act like a prick.”

Fixxed.

54. Da Man

Oi.. O’Connor, you’re so ironic it’s not funny.

Well, you are an expert on being a prick, I’ll give you that.

55. G1GAHURTZ

Actually, O’Connor, you’re the one who acts like tea, which is probably precisely why you couldn’t stand him.

Must have seen all you’re own faults staring you in the face.

56. OrbitMonkey

The handbags always come out on the weekends… :-/

57. G1GAHURTZ

The weekend is Thursday and Friday here in Saudi.

So it’s actually more like Monday here, if you will…

58. Stephany Nunneley

Please keep debates, comments, et al constructive and cease with the school yard banter, please. Please? Did I say please enough to make it happen? Seriously. Not agreeing with someone’s opinion is fine and dandy, just be nice to one another while doing it okay? No one gets out alive anyway, so why not? Thanks.

59. OrbitMonkey

^ Hippy ;-)

60. Stephany Nunneley

Actually I hate hippies. They smell like cabbage. :D :D

61. Ireland Michael

@60 I was wondering while I smelt so funny…

62. OrbitMonkey

*Gasp* Cabbagism in VG247!!

63. Christopher Jack

@OG, Running W7 but the 32bit edition(Don’t ask, didn’t buy it myself) so 4GB is the limit & even all of that isn’t being used to its full potential & all my drivers are up to date. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier

64. OlderGamer

I am not techie enough to help ya CJ. My wife, yes. Me, not so much. I know just enough to screw things up lol.

Does seem like something is a miss tho.

65. Phoenixblight

Would say your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU and no matter how much you put into a new GPU that will always be the case.

66. Christopher Jack

Perhaps a little but it would not prevent me from running the newest games on ultra if I had say, a GTX 680, but it would impact the max performance. I’d be more worried about the RAM bottlenecking me, I’m already unable to utilize the texture pack for Skyrim.

67. Dragon246