First Skyrim: Dawnguard trailer is go, go, go

Thursday, 31st May 2012 15:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Bethesda’s released the first trailer for Skyrim expansion Dawnguard ahead of a full showing next week in Los Angeles.

The video gives a look at what the first DLC will add to the behemoth RPG, including new features teased at a DICE talk given by game director Todd Howard in February.

One feature we noticed was horseback combat. In like Flynn, etc.

Dawnguard launches this summer as a 30-day exclusive first on Xbox Live for 1600 MS points. It’ll come to PS3 and PC soon after.

1. YoungZer0

Well that is definitely something i didn’t expect. Looks good.

2. Patrick Garratt

I like the glowing horse.

3. Moonwalker1982

Wow now, this is looking awesome! Totally not what i expected. Looks like it contains a brand new location too, which i was hoping for.

4. f1r3storm

It’s 1600 MSP.

5. DuckOfDestiny

Dragons diving under water? :O

6. Johnny Cullen

@4 You are correct, it is 1600 MSP. I’ve fixed it.

7. Hcw87

For 1600 it better be as content-rich as Shivering Isles, but it’s probably even bigger. Can’t wait for this.

I don’t like the trend of 1600 points though, first Minecraft, and now this.

8. AHA-Lambda

I’m surprisingly, not surprised that this is 1600 points =/

Bethesda did say they were going for a full expansion pack type deal here with their DLC for skyrim.

9. Gekidami

I thought horseback combat was a free patch?

10. Hcw87

Yes, horseback is coming in 1.6 in a few weeks, and it’s free.

11. Pytox

where’s the dragonborn music

12. Edo

@1 Well then you obviously haven’t seen Bethesda Game Jam and the part at 3.34 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxIHPfi-yI .

13. Ireland Michael

1600MSP? Unless this is like 20 hours long, fuck off!

14. stretch215

What’s 1600 Microsoft points? Like $20? I don’t think that’s a lot if it’s a full fledged expansion.

15. unclejibjab

do i get to choose sides? and if i do.. do i get multiple playthroughs?

16. YoungZer0

@12: I have seen it. -.- I didn’t expect that from the name. For all we know they could’ve released it as a patch.

I hope next thing they are going to do is include the wearbears. Would also be awesome if they redo the Werewolf. Give it a skilltree, make it more like a curse.

Edit: Oh and verlet surfaces for non-rigid objects. That could mean that we finally get some proper cloaks.

17. Moonwalker1982

I dont think you have to worry about that. Did you play Shivering Isles for Oblivion? Or all the Fallout 3 DLC? IMO all worth their money and very long too.

18. Dralen

Want!!!

19. Kabby

Such a weird direction to go in.

20. KillerDD

God yes, I want this! They’d better release this fast ’cause I will need to wait an extra 30 days just because I play on the PC….

21. TheWulf

I know, right?

I was honestly expecting something really pedestrian (as their prior DLC has been), but this actually looks compellingly unusual. I mean, sure, the Dawnguard is the steroetypically dull good guy faction, but I don’t think that they’re the point of this DLC. I might actually get this.

I’m actually interested in this one. I’m not sure how it’ll play out, but what I saw there wasn’t what I was expecting to see, and I am slightly impressed. But then again, a trailer is a trailer. It’s whether they’ll be able to live up to the promise of this…. that’s what matters.

Will they? Time will tell, I guess. Still, it’s really interesting at least. So you win this round, Bethesda.

Except it is slightly ruined by the “BETTAR ON KINECT GAIZ” at the end, and the fact that people on non 360 platforms will be waiting an extra 30 days because Microsoft are selfish, hateful, greedy bastards who often remind me of EA way too much (which might explain Windows 8).

I hated the dragonborn music. It was one of the most ridiculously awful things that Jeremy Soule has done (and I love his music).

But maybe I feel this way because I was constantly running from the dragons. (At least until I got the mod that makes them non-hostile after completing the main quest.) So I was like “FUCK OFF, I HAVE NO DESIRE TO FIGHT YOU.” And whilst I was fleeing it was playing this “FA LA LAA DOVAHKIIN DOVAHKIIN” tune and that was fucking irritating.

Hate that music.

Hate. Hate. Hate.

I was actually tempted to just mod that track out of the game, but before that became a necessity, someone did the non-hostile dragons thing and it stopped being a problem.

That this trailer DOESN’T have that fucking nonsense tied into it actually makes it BETTER for it.

Here I partially disagree with you.

The point of the werewolf in Skyrim is that for the Companions of Jorrvaskr, it mostly isn’t a curse and thus it isn’t portrayed as such. Because, yes, what I want is something that does the same thing as every fucking other thing, ever.

Frankly, it was nice to see werewolves portrayed as something awesome, just that once. It was a bit of a paradigm shift, and one of the things about Skyrim that I actually liked.

Asking for the werewolf to be reworked to be a stereotypically cursed beast in Skyrim is like asking for cover-based combat in Serious Sam.

Let’s not do that. Please.

I have nothing against you or your opinions, just FYI. I just disagree with you on this point. I’m actually fed up of all the typical fantasy tropes, and every time we actually deviate from them a bit, I get a little happier.

However, I DO agree with you on how it could have trees, trees which would allow you to specialise in different things, and pick up new powers. And it would be better than that totem quest chain thing, that’s for sure. But because they put so much work into that, I sadly cannot see them changing the werewolf at this point.

So yes, I partially disagree, partially agree.

Hopefully you’ll be able to understand my stance, here.

Yup. Isn’t that awesome? I was pleasantly surprised, too. I completely support this. Weird is good, frankly. Weird is creative.