Pachter: On disc DLC is “plain greed”

Monday, 28th May 2012 08:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Michael Pachter has said incentives to put DLC on the disc from before the game’s launch is “plain greed”.

Pachter’s comments follow the recent situation regarding on-disc DLC with Street Fighter x Tekken. Capcom has said it’s now reevaluating its stance on the matter.

“I think that DLC has been so successful that publishers are trying to get a jumpstart and if you put it on the disc, it allows them to unlock it when they feel like it,” said the Wedbush Morgan analyst in the latest episode of Pach Attack.

“A few years ago, we didn’t see DLC for typically six months after a game launch and I think it was Red Dead Redemption, but I think Take Two kind of pioneered and launched DLC like a month after the original title and it was super successful. Now you’re seeing a lot more guys do it yet.”

Pachter went on to even suggest that should anybody crack the code on a game that features DLC already on the disc, they should be entitled to the contents of that DLC without paying when it eventually does become available to all down the line.

Some guys get it right, some guys take a long time to get it out. Putting it out on the disc allows the publisher to determine the optimal moment to launch it,” he said.

“All DLC is great. Games are getting shorter, DLC is keeping people engaged, it’s a profit deal. I don’t think it makes much difference how it’s delivered.”

He continued: “The stuff on the disc, some gamers feel entitled to because they bought the disc, so they should have a right to anything that’s on the disc. And that’s a dicey one. You actually do own the disc and I think, theoretically, if you could crack the code on the DLC, you probably would be allowed to access it without paying.

“And I’m not even sure that’s stealing because you did, in fact, buy the disc. That’s about as close as you can get to legal piracy.”

Watch the full episode of Pach-Attack below. The DLC stuff is from 4:04.

1. xxJPRACERxx

One of the rare time I agree with him.

2. TheBlackHole

As I’ve said before, it all depends on what kind of DLC it is and how it’s being delivered.

On disc DLC does NOT automatically mean it was content cut from the main project and sold at a premium. Some DLC has its own budget and ROI, and frontloading it on the disc simply means easier distribution, simpler (and cheaper) 1st party certification and fewer barriers to entry for the consumer.

I’m NOT advocating on-disc DLC as a general method of distribution, but in some cases it’s not simply one of greed.

Also, this will all be completely irrelevant when the next gen comes along and everything will be digital day and date with retail (probably).

3. DrDamn

How can he say “I don’t think it makes much difference how it’s delivered.” and then go on to say on-disc is “plain greed”?

Agree with @2. On-disc actually has good benefits for the consumer too. No extra download, no storage used up on it.

4. pukem0n

holy shit, game companies want to make money? greedy bastards indeed

5. CyberMarco

-03:10 “Apple doesn’t wait for costumers to tell what they need, Apple decides what you need and then convinces you you actually need one… that’s the iPad.”

No ladies and gentleman, that’s consumerism! The day when “consumers” will figure this out we can expect a more serious and respectful behavior from the Publishers etc. instead of beeing brainwashed from the media, net etc. to think “Hey look a new iCrap, I sure as hell need one just to do things I could do with a gadget 15 times cheaper than that.

6. The_Red

“should anybody crack the code on a game that features DLC already on the disc, they should be entitled to the contents of that DLC without paying when it eventually does become available to all down the line.”

Well said Mr Pachter, well said. Couldn’t agree more. I hope people start cracking on-disk DLCs asap. It’s not illegal. They paid 60 bucks for that disk and should be able to play everything that’s on the said disk.

7. Keivz

@3 This article misquoted him. He said “ALL DLC is greed”, not great. Therefore it doesn’t make much difference how the content is delivered.

I don’t wholly agree with him and I was hoping for a more insightful response. I think on disc dlc is fine by and large so long as the game itself has enough content to make it worth its price tag.

8. albo88

so i say crack the whole game and don’t buy shit if we have come this far

9. albo88

Dirt Showdown is another greedy DLC AT 50 EURO

10. Cobra951

The man calls always-online DRM “evil” and fake DLC already on the game disc “greed”. Kudos to him. I am a fan.