Danger Close listened to MoH feedback, addressed “a lot of things,” with Warfighter

Tuesday, 22nd May 2012 13:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Danger Close’s Rich Farrelly has said the Metacritic rating for its last Medal of Honor outing wasn’t as high as the studio had hoped, but with Warfighter, has “listened to feedback over the years,” and plans to address “a lot of things.”

Speaking with Games On Net, the creative director said one of the first changes made was to bring multiplayer in-house.

“The Metacritic rating was a lot lower than what we would’ve liked,” he said. “I’m gonna save my comments on what I think about that site, but you know what? It was the best-selling Medal of Honor ever. It came up on 6 million units sold. No one ever mentions that. We’re really proud of that.

“I think there was a really high bar of expectation set for us, and maybe we didn’t meet certain aspects of that. The single-player campaign had its issues, but overall I think it stands on its own two feet – and we’ve definitely been listening to the feedback over the past few years, and we’ve been addressing a lot of things.”

Farrelly said the designers are also working hard in order to differentiate the game from other shooters, but “telling the soldier’s story from the soldier’s point of view,” which adds an extra emotional level to Warfighter.

“It gets more involved as you go along in the game,” he said. “We touched on it a bit in the last game, by concentrating on the brotherhood aspect of it and the emotional side of the conflict; the non-military side.

“This time around, it’s more about family. It’s more about these guys. You know, they’re deployed 300 days of the year. Some of them have wives and kids, and sometimes they can’t even tell their wife where they’re going. Their buzzer goes off, and they have to go. You can imagine the kind of stress that would put on a family; you can imagine what that would do to a marriage over time.

“We want to explore that path with the main character Preacher – how he deals with that and how that all resolves.”

Farrelly doesn’t think many other military shooters approach stories from that angle, but at it’s core, it’s still a “guy with a gun running around an environment shooting other guys with guns to get to the end.”

“There are some clever features thrown in there, and of course that all boils down to the quality of the experience of doing that, and we’re doing our very best to make that the best it can possibly be to compete with everyone else who does the same thing,” he said. “But for us, we step back from that.”

Warfighter released on October 23 in the US and October 26 in the UK on Origin, PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Maximum Payne

Campaign was on par with Homefront IMO.
    They are even more linear then cod games!

2. Titan

Best selling doesn’t necessarily mean best game. The best Medal of Honor is still Medal of Honor: Allied Assault released in 2002. The team that made that then moved onto Call of Duty. Yup Infinity Ward.

3. DSB

@1 Wow, that’s so mean.

Honestly I think it was a lot better than Homefront. But I also think it’s hard to do worse than that, I’ve rarely played a game so uninspired.

It was very simple and pretty buggy, but all in all I thought it was a pretty good tag-along, even if it was nowhere near Battlefield or CoD. Certainly a lot better than Bad Company 2 in my opinion.

I’m uncomfortable with using active troops in ongoing wars as entertainment, but on the game side of things, they did alright.

4. Maximum Payne

@3 But at least in Bad Company 2 I could play with destruction or use some vehicles…

5. OrbitMonkey

I enjoyed the sp of MoH, nice and lean, like CoD 4. I’d go so far as to say it’s almost on par… I went back to it more than any of the CoD’s since.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB Why is that, I actually like it based on ongoing events it’s more fun provided it might raise unrest but people are easily offended by less these days. :-”

When it’s about WWII no one complains cause it’s Nazis and Nazis are OK to kill, but apparently not terrorist that are plaguing our world right now.

7. DSB

@6 Well, for one thing, the people getting killed aren’t just terrorists. It’s a sadly established part of military theory, even in a place like Afghanistan, that women and children are most often caught in the crossfire because they don’t move as quickly as grown men.

So making a game that’s set in a war like that, without actually showing the reality of it, to me is exploiting the truth, without respecting the truth, and I think that’s better left for when people aren’t coming home, or suffering the effects of that.

I’m okay with people warping the idea of war to suit people at home, but I think it’s pretty disrespectful to do it until all the bodies have been buried. At least if you aren’t going to be truthful.

On the other hand, I don’t much mind stuff like The Hurt Locker, because it is a fair depiction of what actually goes on.

I guess I dislike the fact that you find it more exciting, because you find it more exciting on a false basis. You get the privilege of not dealing with the reality of it, as opposed to the people who are actually living it, right now. And those people won’t recieve a cent from EA.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB, Well that is true, but no one ever shows the reality of war in a video game cause it’s gonna be a difficult experience for many. Things like Hurt Locker or Generation Kill can’t really happen in video games right now. I’m all up for that but people who are playing video games are looking for fun not reality and if someone brave enough to come up with a game like that it gets shot in the face like 6 days in fajllujah with so many controversy around it. I don’t know if it got canceled or not but if it didn’t I’m sure it’s not gonna be like how it was originally planned. War is a difficult subject.

9. DSB

Definitely all true, and I’m not disputing their right to do it, but I think it is pretty cold to start making these kinds of action games, before the war is even over. The decent thing to do would be to wait until there was some semblance of closure, at least.

It just strikes me as grotesque. While planes are flying home with bodies or broken people in them, or innocent bystanders are being sewn up in field hospitals, or buried in fields, you’re playing the videogame.

It’s purely about the morality for me, and that kinda crosses the line.

Not least because it’s totally unnecessary. Games like Battlefield 3 and CoD are perfectly engaging in spite of being set in a totally alternate reality. There’s no reason why you’d need to use a current war to thrill people. It looks to me like a PR ploy, done by a business trying to profit by exploiting a current war, which is kinda discomforting to me.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB, well I must confess I didn’t look at it from that perspective so you’re spot on with that.