Sony: “No news” on E3 showing for The Last Guardian

Tuesday, 15th May 2012 10:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony has refused to clarify if The Last Guardian is to make an appearance at E3 next month.

It confirmed in a statement it was continuing work on the Team ICO game, which has been dogged by delays and departures of senior devs from the developer, including boss Fumito Ueda.

But it added it couldn’t confirm an appearance in Los Angeles in three weeks.

“The Last Guardian continues to be developed, however we have no news to share at this time with regard to the franchise and E3.” it said, tweeted out by Game Informer’s news editor Jim Reilly.

Guardian was unveiled at Sony’s E3 2009 press conference, but has only made two trade appearances since then, both at Tokyo Game Show in 2009 and 2010.

The game hasn’t been seen since early 2011 when previews came out around the time of the Vita unveil last January. Sony WWS head Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed Sony Santa Monica, among others, are now helping to finish development on the game.

1. KAP

All the games thats been mentioned for release from now to the end of 2013 and beyond, this game is the only game I care about coming out.

FFS

2. polygem

@1: i personally wouldn´t go that far;-) i got a soft spot for murray, bentley and sly, so i really cannot wait for the new cooper game…halo has been a huge part of my gaming life too, so that´s another big release in my book, then the Last guardian and The last of us AAAND the next bungie game…these are the games i am most excited for.

i hope they are just holding back and will show stuff. i bet they will. they have to.

3. loveaya

Since this generation, SCEJ seems like an idiot who can not make any games.

4. The_Red

If we combine “Last Guardian” with “Final Fantasy Versus 13″, it would probably become something like an eastern “Duke Nukem Forever”.

Hopefully if either of those two ever gets released (like DNF), the end result isn’t as disappointing as DNF.

5. absolutezero

I get the feeling that The Last Guardian is in the same boat that Metal Gear Rising was in.

They made something that sounded amazing on paper but when it came to actually producing it they just hit consistant brick walls in how to get it working as a game.

6. Gadzooks!

Its almost certainly going to be pushed to the PS4 or canned. Been obvious for a while that the PS3 isnt up to the job of what they are trying to achieve.

7. ManuOtaku

I got the feeling this tittle will end up coming for the PS4, and not as a launch tittle, i hope iam wrong but thats not good, i mean if they dont mention this game in the upcoming E3.

8. Erthazus

They won’t mention at E3 i think.

If they will mention something about this game, it has to be TGS.

9. freedoms_stain

I hope this game doesn’t end up in the shit can.

Can we have just a little touch of positive news on it, please?

10. OrbitMonkey

Last Guardian? More like Lost down the back of the sofa Gaurdian.

11. TD_Monstrous69

TGS or VGA’s or bust is my proclamation on this. Honestly, when I read the headline, I was just shouting NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!, but now that I’ve read the article, It’s just really, really, annoying (and that’s putting it kindly). Because I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced at E3 2009. Though I’m stating to believe what @absolutezero said, maybe it could’ve ended up like what happened with MGS Rising, maybe Santa Monica Studios has taken over development on this completely from Studio Japan, and they’re working on trying to build this game, along with juggling the new God of War, and other numerous different collaborations the studio does. Though I’m just speculating. All I want is some new information on this by the end of the year, some fucking clarity on where the hell it’s at! Is it cancelled? Has it been moved to the next-gen Playstation? Is a new studio working on it? Is Ueda gone from it completely? Does it have a clear release window? At this point, it’s all I ask for from The Last Guardian, is a little clarity. Not a lot….just some.

12. ultramega

Erm… That was pretty painful.