UK charts: Sniper Elite V2 stays top for second week

Monday, 14th May 2012 09:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sniper Elite V2 has maintain its number one spot in the UK charts for a second week, ahead of FIFA Street.

Street climbs to second, while FIFA 12 remains third. The two round off the top three after yesterday’s dramatic ending to the Premier League season.

Prototype 2 and Mass Effect 3 finish off the top five. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations makes a reappearance in the bottom end of the top ten to nudge out Modern Warfare 3 by 100 units.

Sony’s Starhawk debuted inside the top 20 at 17, as well as entering the PS3 chart at fifth.

Top ten for the week ending May 12 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Sniper Elite V2
  2. FIFA Street
  3. FIFA 12
  4. Prototype 2
  5. Mass Effect 3
  6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13
  7. Kinect Star Wars
  8. Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics
  9. Battlefield 3
  10. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

More soon.

1. Monk

Ouch !
    17 is not good place at all !!

2. nofear360

This shows there is still interest in WW2. Really bummed about Starhawk though :/

3. manamana

^defo for me. recently played through Hell’s Highway again and I would defenitely like a sequel to this style of BIA.

4. Mr-Brett

That is a shame about Starhawk, is it just me or has there been very little promotion? I wasn’t even aware that it was out until reading this.

Good to see a hit for Rebellion with Sniper Elite, to put it bluntly they’ve been treading water for some time now (arguably since AVP2) so they were due a success.

5. Edo

Congrats to Rebellion.

6. Maximum Payne

Sniper Elite is also much cheaper then other games.
    Game is very fun on short interval IMO.

7. ManuOtaku

I will pick this tittle up as soon as it gets a price cut, i know this doenst help the developers too much, but right now iam very short on money, i will help the way i can.

8. DSB

I wasn’t expecting it to be that succesful, but it’s good to see that people are willing to try something a bit different.

9. The_Red

Sony did an ABYSMAL job marketing Starhawk. THE absolute worst marketing I’ve seen for a exclusive game and that’s saying something for Sony who pretty much always market its games badly.

10. daytripper

@9 I think its too easy to blame it all on poor marketing

11. Da Man

#9 – Perhaps their games just suck balls. They’re doing pretty much the same things anyone else does, lots of hyperboles, lots of ‘redefining the genre’ and constant presenting of shipped sales figures.. Well, they’re actually doing a much better job than anyone else with the last one.

I would be interested in seeing some side by side comparison of ‘marketing’. What do you even mean by that word?

12. YoungZer0

@8: Like a world war 2 shooter? :P

13. Gekidami

Week ending May 12th, Starhawk came out May 11th.

14. daytripper

@13 exactly, the game has only just come out, give it a chance to breath ffs

15. Erthazus

Starhawk is DOA. The reason is simple. Sony announced it too early and they forgot about it after E3 2011 and only started a crappy marketing campaign in about a month till release.

All Sony games have crappy marketing campaign. They don’t have enough money to do that and they have crappy marketing team that can’t promote shit.

Sony’s marketing campaign in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_3GEvF8RQ

16. DSB

@12 The setting is old hat, but the gameplay isn’t.

It’s not exactly Gears of War.

17. daytripper

@16 I wish they would rid themselves of the likes of Kevin Butler, personally I find some things he does amusing but that type of marketing is towards those who are in the “go sony go” cheerleading camp and have already obtained a ps3 and games and will do for the foreseeable future, no market growth there at all.

18. Erthazus

I actually was excited when they first announced it. I thought it is Unreal Tournament in third person but in the end… I just don’t want it.

+ this is the time when DIABLO III and Max Payne 3 will be released.

Same goes to Alan Wake that was released at the time of Red Dead Redemption.

19. YoungZer0

@16: I know, i was just being “that guy”.

20. Da Man

All Sony games have massive marketing campaigns, lots of PR talk and lots of babbling about shipped figures. Konami have them , Ea have them, ActiBlizz have them, MS have them, and Sony have them. It’s so happens that EA isn’t doing as good as Acti, and Kinect is outselling Move.

Fact.

Insecure idiots are insecure.

21. DSB

@19 I figured you were :D

I thought about it myself while I was writing it, but yeah.

I wish it wasn’t WW2. I’m a sucker for the Cold War theme, but it really wouldn’t be a lousy idea to make a game like that. They obviously already have a thing for the USSR.

Or Vietnam. Marine Scout Snipers.

22. back_up

awesome day one sales for starhwak
    chart ends at 12 and starhawk was released on 11th may

23. daytripper

thought spew_up had been removed? determined to troll as much as possible makes me laugh

24. YoungZer0

@21: You mean against the USSR. That “stop-zhe-russians from launching the V2″ really wasn’t necessary. I don’t remember the first Sniper Elite having such a jingoism-tone.

25. StolenGlory

I suppose you have to admire him really, he’s like a turd that won’t flush.

26. daytripper

@25 funny, i experienced that this morning in work, nearly destroyed the nearby sewer works

27. YoungZer0

@15:

This one’s better:

28. Erthazus

@27, True Masterpiece :D Egoraptor FTW.