Bleszinski – Japan shouldn’t ignore multiplayer

Saturday, 12th May 2012 17:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski feels multiplayer should be embraced by Japanese development studios in order to appeal to western audiences.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Bleszinski said this doesn’t mean tacking on multiplayer for the sake of it, but instead creating interesting experiences – like what From Software developed for Dark Souls. Bleszinski said the multiplayer was “innovative” due to its “connected elements.” He feels it will continue to inspire western developed so to its “blended experience.”

“My advice to Japan is that in a disc-based market right now, you cannot [ignore multiplayer],” he said.

“And if you’re going to make a third-person shooter… the fact that [Platinum's] Vanquish didn’t have a multiplayer suite was a crime. That IP, it was pretty good as far as being western, but the gameplay was great, the vibe… and I’ve often said on record that if Gears is the kind of Wild, Wild West coal train chugging along, that Vanquish is the Japanese bullet train, with style and everything.

“There is absolutely no reason I shouldn’t have been zipping around, doing the mega slides, diving up in the air in an arena with other players.”

Bleszinski said another title which missed an opportunity with multiplayer was Grasshopper Manufacture’s Shadows of the Damned, a game he called a “wonderfully crazy adventure.”

“The dialogue had me laughing out loud, just even the key-door systems in there; it was a beautifully crazy game with really fun gameplay, but no multiplayer co-op experience in there,” he said.

“I’m not saying tack on versus; there’s a billion different ways you can do some sort of ‘players interacting with other players.”

1. Karooo

I think you meant ‘embraced’ in the first sentence, Steph.

2. Stephany Nunneley

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Indeed, I did. :D :D :D

Gotta love Chrome spell check. You flip two letters and it shows you completely different words than you intended.

(still laughing) :D

3. pukem0n

at least they put their full resources in great single player experiences ;)

4. Lord Gremlin

They’re fine as SP experiences. Vanquish in particular have you controlling the world by manipulating time. This can’t be moved into MP experience.
    And Cliffy B is a douche who produce shitty games (Geow) and ruin good ones (Bulletstorm).

5. Sini

True, vanquish was so much better than geow he should feel embarrassed. The bigger problem however is too many idiots nowadays play games and steer the industry with their wallets. He(they) might simply not have a choice designing for the masses.

6. xino

seriously you single player ‘boy-lovers’ should really stfu and stop saying all these things are not possible.

They are!
    Max Payne has bullet time has the main feature of the game and that is intergated to the multiplayer.

all the stuff you can perform in single player for NG3 can all be done in Multiplayer.

so please stop talking trash.
    if you don’t like Multiplayer games because you’re a n00b and you suck, DON’T PLAY IT. So stop saying devs should stick to Single Player or “these and that” can’t work in multiplayer.

7. Da Man

#4 has just raised the standard of Sony zealosy and took deepthroating to a whole new level. N4G is here.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Because he doesn’t like Cliffy? Really?

Over-dramatic, much?

I think Vanquish is a vastly superior game to Gears of War myself, but they’re not really that similar. Vanquish is not a cover-shooter, for one. It would be very tricky to transfer that game into the multiplayer space.

Thought Bulletstorm was bloody astounding though. Great multiplayer too, if a little limited in scope.

9. Da Man

Because everything he says is anti MS and pro Sony. Obviously..

Kuwabara 2.

10. Erthazus

and everything you say here is anti Sony and Pro Microsoft.

ZING!

11. Da Man

If only.

The amount of times I flamed Cliffy B, Gears of War, Fable and whatnot is more than I called you a retard. Not to mention I openly stated Halo Reach is inferior to previous games.

You’re a dense person.. So no zing for you.

12. Noodlemanny

@Xino
    You may have bullet time but it doesn’t stop actual time. It would just be fucking annoying otherwise, wouldn’t it?
    And anyway generally I like Bleszinski he’s very opinionated in the wrong direction for my taste but I respect him. I really don’t like this particular interview though.
    So what is everyone just supposed to make all games multi player now? Multi just doesn’t fit some games, like seriously can you imagine a silent hill multi player? It would be shit, shittier than the shit they are usually. Regardless, some of us don’t want multi player we’d like actual developing stories, worlds and characters rather than just blowing shit up and killing dudes in various ways. Not that blowing shit up and shooting some 9 year old isn’t fun, but there’s a time and a place. You put multi-player in a game, it doesn’t matter if the devs and publishers say otherwise, your taking resources that could have been for the single-player.
    Although you could say that by adding multi your ensuring more funding because you have a wider audience. Swings and roundabouts.
    From my point of view, don’t, its just pointless. Doesn’t matter if you put multi in Infinite Undiscovery because the kinds of people who would buy into multi don’t give a shit about JRPGs.

13. Ireland Michael

@11 Has anyone ever told you that your general attitude sucks?

Most of your posts lately have been nothing more than you putting people down because you think they’re more ignorant and stupid than you. It’s tiresome.

14. Da Man

Has anyone told you that you’re a hysterical nerd who fails to detect peoples’ tone at internet all the time? Wait, I have, in 2009 I suppose. Most of your posts from day one were sensationalistic rubbish and ignorant (btw) twattery.

You have no reason to be here, the arse is gone.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Well, yeah, I’ve been called hysterical. And a nerd.. Countless time, and usually as a compliment. Heh.

“Everything you add to the discussion I can read elsewhere anyway. Aside from perhaps the Max Payne rants.”

You mean that game I’m really looking forward to? I think the originals are horrible (and I recall a few people agreed on my point in those threads, especially in regards to the art design), but the third game looks like it has a lot going for it. Especially the multiplayer.

Than again, these are all opinions, and I never claimed they were anything but. You are the one taking issue with people not sharing your opinion. You called someone a Sony fanboy and compared the place to N4G just because they said they didn’t like Cliffy B. That’s pretty ridiculous whatever way you look at it.

16. OrbitMonkey

Cliffy’s got a very good point and he’s right to praise the efforts of Demon Souls. Japanese devs seem to offer a different flavour of MP. I always hear Lost Planet 2 had a great MP and that new RPG with the Pawn system (help?), looks quite cool too.

17. Da Man

#15 Thanks for the invaluable input, brah. I’m glad you enjoy that, I can do that to you anytime.

What if I say that Gears of War was a Rogue Warrior clone, is that an opinion? Oddly enough, I share an ‘opinion’ that Gears of War is a poor video game.. And if all they say compliments Sony and disses MS , then yeah.. the issue doesn’t go anywhere further than that.

And yeh, this place did become practically another N4G, with some tedious pseudo intelligent nonsense here and there. When I started visiting it you were the one who annoyed me the most, now you’re just meh at best. I even liked some things you said.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 No problem, brah.

“What if I say that Gears of War was a Rogue Warrior clone, is that an opinion?”

Obviously?

“When I started visiting it you were the one who annoyed me the most, now you’re just meh at best. I even liked some things you said.”

I have to say, I’m honoured that you’ve given me so much thought and consideration. I wish I could say the same, but I’ve really only noticed your attitude here over the last few days, where you seem to be a particularly foul mood with almost everyone. Reminds me of me back in the day, before I got over myself.

“So anyway, if Vanquish had the multiplayer I probably would’ve bought the video game.. Then again it likely would be just some lame arse team slayer or team survival mode.”

That’s entirely your loss dude, as its easily the most refined, well designed and genuinely skill based game ever designed in the third person shooter genre.

19. Da Man

#18 – Obviously it doesn’t constitute an opinion, unless you mean nonsensical one.. which defies the whole definition of opinion to begin with. You really should think more about it.

Yeh, brah I did. Up there with the infamous arse I ‘d say! You ‘ve said a lot of shite indeed.. I’m not doing what you did, brah though. I’m just saying. Besides I’ve improved my foreign language skills, thanks to you in part. They’re still poor, but became much better.

Reallly, dude? I’m really not into yet another pattern based jap shooter from the days of Arcades.

20. Ireland Michael

@19 Cool story, brah.

21. Lord Gremlin

@Da Man So if I love Vanquish and Bulletstorm and hate Geow and Cliffy B’s attitude I’m pro Sony? Really?
    Trolls here are obnoxious. Next thing I love MS because I hate Little Big Planet (which I do).
    I love good games. And hate people who push brownish generic shit with multiplayer everywhere. And Cliffy B really has no right to advise anyone, it’s been a while since he released a good game. He’s like Jaffe with his completely crap Twisted Metal (it’s basically a shit MP game) or Moyleneux with his crap Fable outings. Some people have no credibility to give any development advise. You know who’s opinion worth noting? Tim Schafer. That guy know how to make a game properly.

22. Ireland Michael

@21 “Next thing I love MS because I hate Little Big Planet (which I do).”

Oh, that brings back memories. I was considered pro-Microsoft by the site’s resident idiots at one point because I hated God of War. A few months later I was apparently a Sony fanboy because I didn’t like the way Microsoft handles their business.

Always loved the nearsightedness of people on the internet.

BTW, LittleBigPlanet is awesome. Fuck off!

23. Da Man

#20 – You’re welcome. Wrong time for that meme though. By the way, if you ever come across any grammar mistakes, do not hesitate to point them out for me.

See, #21 this is literally the first time you’ve said something half sensible. Flaming does wonders. I should try Kuwabara next time.

Edit: Oh, and O’Conner.. they were truly idiots indeed. Little they knew that you’re just .. ahem, indy journalist who likes to post sensationalistic rubbish.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 “See, #21 this is literally the first time you’ve said something half sensible.”

Man, you must be a riot at parties. You’re the one who walked into this thread and started insulting people, nobody else.

“Little they knew that you’re just .. ahem, indy journalist who likes to post sensationalistic rubbish.”

Thanks, but I’m not VG247. I go out of my way to avoid sensationalism in my journalism. Never cared for it and will never employ it.

25. Da Man

Err, I did, because I’ve been reading the same things from the same person, this website is the only video game one I visit so yeah.

Cool story, bro. Very cool story, bro. (This is how you use that meme.)

I still fail to see your purpose in this thread, O’Conner…

26. Ireland Michael

@25 I *was* commenting on the quality of Bleszinski’s games and whether his observation was valid or not, however briefly. You know, in the other 80% of my post that wasn’t about your bad attitude towards other commenters.

You’re the one who walked into the thread solely to insult something, with absolutely nothing to say on the subject at hand in your original post. So telling me that my input is somehow irrelevant but yours isis pretty freakin’ hilarious.

27. Da Man

*Orly*? You ‘ve made a post attempting to point out my supposedly negative attitude, and briefly commented on Vanquish etc to validate it..

I told you, O’Conner yes I did. How many times will you keep on telling me that? I’ve had a purpose, and achieved fantastic results: user posted a half sensible comment, for the first time ever. As I said, perhaps I should experiment with Kuwabara.. You? You’re just additionally derailing a thread, genius.

28. Ireland Michael

@27 *O’Connor

29. DrDamn

CliffyB seems to simultaneously both get and miss the point here. Yes Japanese devs can learn from Western devs, but shoe horning in vs. multiplayer into every game isn’t one of those things. The stuff he picks up on in Demons Souls, that is what Western devs should be learning from the Japanese and doing something innovative like that instead of inferior multiplayer tack ons.

30. Kabby

No one takes any notice of this clown anyway.

31. absolutezero

Fuck me not again.

32. Zana

Japan should ignore Bleszinski.

33. Edo

I don’t know about MP but less cheese would be nice.

34. back_up

all epic games sucks

35. Edo

That’s just great………………………

36. DSB

Yo, Japan, I’m real happy for you, and ima let you finish, but….

37. YoungZer0

@33: Yes.

38. ManuOtaku

I think the key issue with vanquish will not be having multiplayer, rather than having a more lenghty singleplayer part, that will be much better than multiplayer in my opinion, as for shadown of the damned the game was fine as it was, nothing to add or take out, really, not all the games are gears of war, and not all the games need multiplayer, for that we have tons of games, these crazy games (shadown and vanquish) do work great without it, the crazy and over the top ideas make up for it.