Gate Five’s $100M lawsuit against Beyonce Knowles to go to trial

Friday, 11th May 2012 18:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NYC judge Charles Ramos has said the lawsuit filed by developer Gate Five against Beyonce Knowles can go to trial.

The lawsuit stems from a 2010 $20 million deal between the two parties for Starpower: Beyonce, a deal which the entertainer pulled out of.

According to the New York Post, Gate Five was forced let go of 70 employees due to the cancellation and as a result is suing for the $6.7 million it invested in the project as well as $100 million in lost profits.

Knowles’ lawyer states financing wasn’t in place as promised by Gate Five, and because of this she was well within her rights to pull out of the project.

The judge presiding over the case said Knowles should have provided notice to the company because “you continue to negotiate right up until the time you pull the plug.”

“That is not going to work with me,” he said.

Gate Five claims Knowles was aware that on December 6, 2010 it was scheduled to sign a contract with its financier, and even with this knowledge, she pulled out of the deal three days beforehand.

1. pukem0n

hope they win

2. Yoshi

So let me get this straight, they were in talks to do some shitty game and Beyonce dropped out and decided not to do it?
    Okay so, how again are they suing anyone? XD

If that’s the case I want Free Radical to sue the mother fuckers at Lucas Art for pulling out of Battlefront3

3. endgame

Wait! How is this gaming news? :))

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Please tell me you are taking the piss. I am too exhausted to try and figure it out on my own.

5. Yoshi

Gate Five are apparently a games company.

6. TMRNetShark

If they have a claim, why not? I would at least like the developers who got let go to get a percentage of the money if they win.

7. endgame

@4 Yes Steph because Gate Five is such a well known gaming company.

8. MidlifeAxe

@7 Didn’t realize it had be a ‘well known gaming company’ for it to make the news.

It’s still a games company so it makes sense to appear on a gaming news website, right?

9. Sadismek

@3 You should start reading what comes after the headline, you know?

10. DarkElfa

Hey, I’ll back this as long as at least 80% of the win get’s split between those 70 people that lost their jobs.