FortressCraft developer hit by DDoS attack, calls police, blames Notch

Friday, 11th May 2012 08:30 GMT By Matt Williams

FortressCraft designer Adam Sawkins has struck out at Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson after the game’s website was allegedly hit by a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack yesterday.

Coinciding with the XBLA release of Minecraft, FortressCraft.com was hit by, what has been described as, a DDoS attack.

“Aaaand, the FortressCraft website’s being DDOSd. Fuck you and your ‘community’, @Notch,” Sawkins posted on Twitter yesterday.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Sawkins explained that they knew who was too blame, but were unsure as to the reasons for the attack. “We know *who* it was, but sadly we didn’t get a note in the post saying WHY,” he said.

Sawkins said that he would be pursuing those responsible for the attack. “We’ve sailed over our cap for the month so far, and are going through the process of talking to the police about it,” he told the site. “Under British law, yes [the police can act on the attack]. Hacking is a fairly serious crime over here, and it’s not a personal site, it’s a business site. Loss of earnings, all that crap. I personally wouldn’t have bothered, but the guy who does my website is FLAMING over it!”

1. Hunam

This guy has a huge chip on his shoulder. I remember his arrogant attitude from an interview EG did with him a few months ago. He was angry that people said he cloned Minecraft [ED - He did] and seemed pretty aggressive towards Notch, despite without Notch his game would not exist.

2. endgame

“Loss of earnings, all that crap.” “all that crap”? Yup. I think Hunam is right. This guy is a d-bad. He clearly doesn’t care about sales much. I think that what he cares about is suing someone with a lot of money so he can actually get some without doing legitimate work. Which he seems to suck at anyway. A triple-A loser. And he goes on to say “I personally wouldn’t have bothered, but the guy who does my website is FLAMING over it!”. Yeah. Am I right or am I right? :)

3. Old MacDonald

From the EG-story: “If nothing else, I’ve bumped ‘finishing split screen’ up my priority list.”

I’m sure this is an idea he came up with all by himself, instead of being inspired by the fact that it worked so well in the Xbox version of the game he isn’t cloning.

4. dcarnage

Cloned minecraft? pfft more like Notch took the open source infiminer code and built upon it… If anyone should be pissed it should be Zachtronics Industries. Without infiminer Notch’s bankroll wouldn’t exist.

5. Yoshi

Yeah this guy is a prick. I overseed and interview with him once and it was fucking aweful. Him saying he didn’t copy Minecraft and trying to convince himself that FortressCraft was different. It was terrible, he’s a prick.

6. Old MacDonald

4: Nobody are trying to hide the fact that Minecraft was heavily influenced by Infiniminer (before it evolved in a very different direction). The Fortresscraft guy seems hellbent on trying to hide the fact that his game was heavily influenced by Minecraft, though.

7. M. K.

Who cares, both of them are a-holes :/

8. Cobra951

Haha! The ripoff artist gets ripped off. A bit of poetic justice starts my day off right.

9. DarkElfa

I do love how the fan boys pretend that what notch did here was fine but this guy is a rip off artist.

Barth created Infiniminer only to see Minecraft, a blatant clone, fly by and make his game worthless. Notch is a d-bag and a bad coder. People need to climb out of his ass and stop acting like he’s the messiah.