Rumour – Dead Space 3 to feature drop-in co-op

Wednesday, 9th May 2012 06:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Significant changes are afoot for Dead Space 3, if the latest rumours are to be believed, including a fully integrated co-operative multiplayer mode.

According to IGN‘s sources, the story of Dead Space 3 is near identical in single-player or co-operative mode, with the exception that there are two survivors of a crash which kicks off the adventure – Isaac and his companion. Players can solve puzzles and overcome obstacles together; share weapons and ammo; and heal each other – but cannot be revived. Failure sends you back to the last checkpoint.

With a friend by his side, Isaac still struggles with rumoured psychological fracturing, but won’t experience some of the more traumatic instances; it’s hard not to speculate that Isaac’s AI helpmate may well be imaginary, especially as the source claims co-op mode will be drop-in, drop-out compatible.

On the general gameplay side, the source claims Isaac can now crouch to take cover, and roll to evade attacks. Telekenisis allows players to rotate objects, and weapons have been overhauled with new alt fire modes; the Plasma Cutter has been seriously revised with a knockback effect on secondary fire, and the Pulse Rifle can fire saw-blades.

Isaac is said to encounter hostile human forces for the first time, and will have to contend with environmental hazards on the battlefield.

Among other details, IGN’s account of the game’s beginning on a “desolate snow planet” aligns with a earlier purported leaks.

EA confirmed the existence of Dead Space 3 in its recent financial briefing but gave no details.

1. loveaya

I haven’t played the multiplayer mode of DS2 at all. 1st, no trophies for that. 2nd, the online mode is awful. I don’t think a coop mode will be an advance for DS3 but we’ll see about that.

2. The_Red

Aaaannd… another survival horror goes to shit. Dead Space 2 was already actionified enough but now they are gonna take the feel of loneliness from this franchise too?

3. Mineral4r7s

(sarcasm on)
    @2 but dont you have any Facebook friends you want to share your joy playing Dead Space 3 with?

Thats what it is all about! Social gaming. How can you be a social person when you play alone?

Foul magic I say.
    (sarcasm off)

4. FrayJoker

RE5 was some of the best fun I’ve ever had playing through a game with a friend, Dead Space was always more of a horror themed action game anyway. I’m fairly optimistic about this one.

5. Hunam

That sounds awful.

6. Ali Hayas

FEAR 3 turned out being a very superficial experience. The CO-OP which was designed to be identical to the solo, turned the campaign into being the most generic ever.RE5 sucked ..

Looks like it is RIP for Dead Space 3.

7. Maximum Payne

Why are you people complaining ? Everybody always saying how dead space is not scary,cheap thrill, bla bla
    This is also different from Re5 so I don’t see problem

8. Edo

Thanks EA…and they wonder….

9. PEYJ

I hated the solitude of the first one. Liked the AI-co op in the second much better. Have high hopes for this one.

10. Wychodzew

Doesn’t sound good! It really doesn’t sound good!
    Why coop mode? Why a follower? It will destroy the game’s atmosphere just like Resident Evil 5 with it’s stupid follower/coop-mode. It wasn’t a survival horror anymore.
    Dead Space 3 is turning into a Lost Planet clone!

11. freedoms_stain

As long as I don’t have to play Ellie. Bitch only got 1 eye.

12. HighWindXIX

If any of this is true, I will finally jump on the “fuck EA for ruining everything they touch” bandwagon. Co-op?! Changing the Plasma Cutter!?! That makes me sick to my stomach. Hey Visceral! Less action, more horror! And leave my Plasma Cutter alone!!

13. zobek

my concerne is that they remove the element of the Necromorphs and replace it with human enemys