Video – Spec Ops: The Line demo welcomes you to Dubai

Tuesday, 8th May 2012 16:40 GMT By Sam Clay

With today’s release of the Spec Ops: The Line demo on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Sam Clay takes to the desert storm of Dubai and brings back HD gameplay footage.

The harsh sandstorms of an apocalyptic-looking Dubai has caused some serious political backlash, as well as general chaos and the damaged buildings. This gives the demo a great excuse to introduce you to Dubai and it’s inhabitants. In the video above, we’ve taken a brief look at the first 15 minutes of the demo. We even stamp on a dude’s face (all in good faith, though).

Spec Ops: The Line is set for EU release on May 26, and hits the US on May 29. It’s out on 360, PS3 and PC.

1. YoungZer0

Definitely looks like a day-1-purchase for me.

You got the release date wrong though. June 29 for EU and June 26 for North America.

2. TraceableX

Socom says hello to this

Lacks any kind of originality

3. Sam Clay

The story, world and atmosphere is what sells this game. The demo only really gives you a little taste of the gigantic pie.

4. polygem

hmmm. just played the demo…the shooting works pretty good and i like tps´s in general. it didn´t click though…i wont write this off completeley but will definitley wait for more info, gamplay, reviews.

5. DSB

Didn’t click is exactly how I feel.

I just fundamentally don’t get it. The US military “talking shit” routine is so old, and apparently these guys don’t even need to interrupt their conversation to kill people.

The shooting looks like basic Kane and Lynch stuff. Not embarrassing, but not interesting.

Critically I just don’t buy the whole “Apocalypse Now in Dubai” idea. Apocalypse Now had the backdrop of endless jungles and total war. This has a middle eastern tourist hub covered in a bit of sand, in the middle of an empty desert.

I’m all for shooters involving the brain, but the premise just doesn’t seem very well executed. It seems like a lot of standard elements wrapped around a gimmick taken from a movie.

6. YoungZer0

@5: I’m probably more optimistic about the whole game, but i do have to agree that talking during firefights is a little bit over-the-top. I love me some talking shit routine though. It’s not limited to US Military from what i’ve heard.

It’s also a good idea because it starts the game on a lighter tone, i think the developer stated many times that they want the player to feel the change of the tone. Apparently your two comrades there are in for some brutal change, no joking around by the end of the game.

I don’t know when this scene is played, but i definitely feels like the beginning and to be honest for a beginning there’s way too much fighting, but that’s just me.

7. absolutezero

Fucking Nolan North.

8. DSB

@6 It’s not so much the fact that they’re talking shit, it’s the fact that they come off as caricatures doing it.

The same can obviously be said for most of the guys in something like Apocalypse Now, but with the key difference that there was always some amount of depth there.

Obviously they’re having fun in the sun and talking shit because something really bad is about to happen, which will shake their faith in themselves and eachother (movie trailer voice) but the fact that we can fairly clearly say that that’s the case alraedy speaks to how uninspired it is. We’ve seen that movie, for quite a few decades now.

I’m just judging it on the demo of course, there’s no saying where it actually goes from there. I’m obviously betting against it though.