Crytek: “We’ll do what we can” to protect Crysis 3 from piracy

Tuesday, 1st May 2012 02:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crytek is hoping to avoid a repeat performance of the heavy pirating of Crysis 2.

Speaking to PC Gamer, senior creative director Rasmus Højengaard said Crytek had not yet decided what anti-piracy measures to take with Crysis 3.

“I can’t say. Obviously it’s something we’d like to address,” he said.

“We’ll do what we can, but whatever that’s gonna be is hard to say yet.”

Although Crytek have reason to be a little sore about piracy, the developer managed to joke about it.

“It’s unfortunate that you don’t win any awards for most downloaded game,” Højengaard said.

“Certainly people apparently really want to play our games, they just don’t want to buy them.”

Crysis 2 was one of the most pirated games of 2011 and is estimated to have been illegally downloaded at least 4 million times after an early build leaked a month before release.

Crysis 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next northern spring. Check out our video feature here.

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. xxJPRACERxx

They should concentrate on making a quality product. If the product’s good, it will sell.

2. Kabby

It will be on Origin. The chances of it being pirated to hell are 100%.

3. Erthazus

O’rlly?

4. Christopher Jack

@1, That’s a stupid argument “people will buy it if it’s good”. People pirate because they want the game for free. In fact the better it is, the more pirates will download it. You assume that pirates have some sort of moral code where good games deserve more sales. Besides, tacking on some anti-piracy measures won’t take anything away from the game itself. It’ll just add another aspect to it which will hopefully not be too intrusive like Ubisoft’s, but even if it does, it won’t take away any quality from the game itself. One thing to keep in mind though, the more you challenge pirates, the more will come, publicity like this is only going to encourage pirates.

5. Strawb

@4: It kind of tickles me that you say #1 assumes pirates have a moral code, when, at the same time, it seems like you assume they’re all immoral thieving d-bags.
    Pirates do it for various reasons, one of them being it’s a cheap, easy way to determine whether a game is worth buying, another being that it’s a free way of getting a game.

In regards to your pirate challenge comment, that’s exactly what DRM does: it gives pirates the finger, while alienating the honest buyers.

As for “if it’s good, it’ll be bought”…Valve seems to be doing all right on that front. Even though Portal 2 was the fifth-most pirated PC game in 2011, it still did better on PC than on consoles.

6. GrimRita

I think Crytek are missing the point. If an early ‘leak’ caused 4 million to be downloaded, why on earth arent they looking at the source of that so called ‘leak’ – or doesnt the EA marketing department count?

7. loki

Cancel PC version it is best way to protect Crysis 3 from Piracy
    Now yoou do nothing only tallking trash

8. GrimRita

@7 Sure and I guess console games are free from being pirated?

9. endgame

@4 I buy 9/10 games that I play. I pirate 1/10 games because they are overpriced or because I don’t have the money to buy those games. Am I a pirate? It seems I am one! Do I have a moral code? Yes! I do not want to pirate games but when publishers treat me like a piece of dirt instead of like a possible customer I will not support them. Only idiots do. But you may be right and I might be an exception from the rule. Most people I know pirate simply because they can.

10. endgame

@8 Why are you talking to him?

11. Christopher Jack

@9, I’m no angel, we all have pirated at one stage or another, but there’s no real way to justify it- no matter how the publishers act. I was simply generalizing, we are of course all individuals with different opinions but I do feel the need to facepalm every time I read a comment along the lines of ‘if you made a better game, we would have bought it’. The implementation of DRM & the likes is completely independent from the actual developers making the game, blame the publisher, not the developers. When you pirate a game instead of buying it, you’re also hurting the people who worked in tough conditions to make it.

12. JB

“@9, I’m no angel, we all have pirated at one stage or another”… You`re a hypocrite then – arent you?

“When you pirate a game instead of buying it, you’re also hurting the people who worked in tough conditions to make it.”

You`re assuming a pirated game equals a lost sale, which is rubbish, just because the industry loves to repeat it, doesnt make it true.

And dont forget kids, say no to second hand games as well, please only buy games at full price and never borrow a game from one of your friends too – as it hurts us in the industry…

13. xxJPRACERxx

I think there’s 2 kind of pirates. Those that have the “try before you buy” mentality and those that just pirate and if a pirate copy is not available then they just pirate something else, they had no intention of buying it anyway (that why it’s funny to count these copies as “lost sales”).

10 years ago I was in the “try before you buy” group. Now I purchase all my games and if I’m not sure I wait for a Steam sales. I have ~300 Steam games, 40% I like, 60% I don’t, but it’s ok.

The only time when I don’t get a game is when the DRM is intrusive or with limited installs and/or other kind of BS (Ubisoft).

So I think the real lost sale is not the pirate one, it’s the bad DRM one. If Crytek come up with a new DRM scheme I hope it won’t penalize the paying customer or I’ll pass.

ps: I think Origin is ok.

14. albo88

the most pirated games are also the best seller its just that @ EA they wont more money and i don’t blame them they are in the market for this to make money so yeah
    however things are not that bad well you have alan wake that made its money in what? 48 hours? so yeah quit bitching a but piracy
    i myself pirate when there is no playable demo for an upcoming game
    but anyway to me to day nothing make sens really i mean u can see a whole walkthough of a game in YouTube for free so yeah its like u playing yourself

sorry for my bad English

15. Christopher Jack

@12, And that’s also simply not true. While not everyone who pirates a game would have bought it if it were the only option, a large percentage would. It’s more complicated then simply saying that every pirated copy is a lost sale but it may as well be as far as the guys behind it are concerned. I mean, how would you feel if something you sold online was being pirated because they would have never have bought it in the first place- that’s a pathetic reason & the very cause of all of these intrusive DRM measures that really don’t help any, although I personally know people who do pirate whatever they can but give up & buy it if they want it enough & cannot bypass the DRM.

I’ve also noticed one excuse behind piracy is that people want to try it first- while I don’t agree with their method, I do think offering one hour trials for every game on Steam for example, would go a long way to clearing that try before you buy hurdle that many games simply don’t have- the very least offer a demo of a specific level.

16. JB

“@12, And that’s also simply not true. While not everyone who pirates a game would have bought it if it were the only option, a large percentage would. It’s more complicated then simply saying that every pirated copy is a lost sale but it may as well be as far as the guys behind it are concerned.”

A what ?

And no they wouldnt have, kids, students, and unemployed peeps as an example would not use all their disposable income on full prize games. many games are targetted at kids and students, they have very little income – if any at all.

Piracy doesnt need any justification either, it`s just a fact of life.

If you exclude Europe and North America,and look at the rest of the world you`ll end up with probably 95% pirated software vs. maybe 5% morally right software.

Piracy is not going away!

17. DSB

I think the total invalidation of DRM lies in the fact that piracy hasn’t at any point hurt the industry. Obviously gamers are constructive and sensible enough to sustain growth, and render a healthy profit for publishers.

Piracy hasn’t hurt growth or profits, which is more than you can say for DRM. Ubisoft have thrown away 60% of their PC revenue on the PC, while EA and Activision are really racking up some impressive numbers.

Ain’t broke, don’t fix.

As for Crytek, they should probably concern themselves with how they managed to give away the game before it was even finished last time.

18. ImOnTheRadio

@15 That brought up a study to my mind where they came to the conclusion that when you are holding a gun it is more likely to see other people holding a gun too.
    How is this relevant, you ask? I think that your attitude on piracy reflects on your opinion of other people pirating games. To me, it seems like that you are/were the kind of guy who pirated the game just so you didn’t have to pay for it and you would have bought it if pirating it wasn’t an option.
    Your post still didn’t quite erase the image that you think a big part of pirated copies are a lost sale, which certainly in my opinion is almost never true, atleast in my part.

19. freedoms_stain

I read an article about a study a couple of months back that the majority of movie piracy of works originating from the US was from countries who wait months or years for the content to actually come to them through legal channels and that domestic piracy of those same works was a pretty insignificant fraction of the total

I wonder how true this is for games.

20. nklh4x0r