Game of Thrones game and series similarities due to “faithful” adaptations

Monday, 30th April 2012 05:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Cynaide began development of the Game of Thrones RPG well before the HBO series blew up, but had no trouble adapting material from the TV show to its game.

Speaking to Xbox360Achievements, lead designer Sylvain Sechi said it was “quite easy” to work assets from the show into the game at such a late stage because both interpretations were worked to follow the original books closely.

“Since we’re very faithful to the books and the show is very faithful, every media blends into that one universe,” he explained.

“It’s not like the books have a very different vision of the universe to the game or the TV show. We don’t have three different visions of something. We’re all very close in terms of respect towards the universe of A Song of Ice and Fire, so it was more a question of what stuff we should take from the TV show to put into the game and what are the things we shouldn’t do.”

Sechi gave the example of the throne room in King’s Landing, which he says doesn’t necessarily look the same, but looks familiar because it shares elements drawn from Martin’s descriptions – although the iconic Iron Throne is shared.

There were some areas where Cyanide chose to draw on the TV series, having tried to figure out what key visual elements fans would want to see.

“Top of the list was the characters, because Game of Thrones is more about characters than places,” Sechi noted.

“The characters are the heroes, their House is part of that hero and the likenesses of the characters and the sigils are important. We got the actors and their voices, as we felt that was important.”

Cyanide also went out of its way to preserve familiar music. Read the full interview through the link above.

Game of Thrones drops on May 15 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. mojo

what kind of game will this be?
    RPG? or how will this play out.
    GoT TV Series is absolut stunning, so im intrigued to get that game.
    But im not a big Fan of RPG..

2. freedoms_stain

@1, read the very 1st sentence of the article, yes it’s an RPG.

3. viralshag

It’s an RPG but I’m not holding much hope for it to actually be good. I reckon it will probably end up reviews in the 6-7s, maybe. I’m keeping my eye on it though, love the TV show – haven’t read the books. If it reviews well I would definitely consider picking it up, shame it’s release falls with D3′s.

4. mojo

2: ups sorry :d
    i tend to start reading the articles after the pic :/

k, i guess its better to wait for the reviews..

5. silkvg247

Won’t there be legal implications if they draw on the show too much? They have the licence for the book / story but that’s all, right?

6. freedoms_stain

@5, I reckon if they “got the actors and their voices” they must’ve struck a deal somewhere.

@3, the books are worth a read, I read book 1 after season 1 and couldn’t stop so I read book 2 and a lil bit of book 3 before I forced myself to quit.

The tv series is very faithful to the books, however some characters and relationships are somewhat diminished compared to the book (Sansa and Sandor Clegane stands out for me there) while others have been inflated (Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell springs to mind – hinted at but never as full-on as the tv show) and some events have been omitted, contracted, merged or heavily altered – the scale of the book is so massive they’d truly never be able to film it all as written.

7. viralshag

@6, To be honest as much as I like the show and as much as I like reading fantasy, I’m not sure if I like it enough to want to actually see a whole load more of it.

I think the next beach holiday I go on I will take one or two of them with me and give them a shot when I can dedicate the time for it. :P

8. Patrick Garratt

I’m about to read the first book. Sick of people saying how good it is.

9. freedoms_stain

The way the book is written it’s told from a small selection of perspective characters, so you get a little chunk of one characters story and you keep reading and reading to get to the next chunk to find out what happens in each corner of the story.

I think that’s what gives it its appeal, the books are huge but you race through them trying to piece everything together.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@Pat, I know you’d hate me but it’s that good. Sleepless nights follows.

11. DSB

@8 I’m with you Pat.

I recently did the same thing. I was expecting another Dan Brown sort of deal, where people liked it for all sorts of reasons other than the writing, but it’s actually extremely good.