Dead Space franchise 75% off on Steam

Wednesday, 25th April 2012 07:07 GMT By Matt Williams

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are available for 75% off as part of Steam’s Midweek Madness.

US gamers can purchase both titles for $4.99 each, although the price may differ depending on your region.

The sale lasts until 11pm GMT.

Via Steam.

1. endgame

I don’t know about DS2 but be warned! DS1 is one of the worst console ports ever. The controls are just… soooo console like. I strongly advise against buying it.

2. Talkar

^Well, unless you have a 360 or PS3 controller connected to your PC of course.

3. freedoms_stain

I played DS1 through with a controller on PC and it was fine.

4. Erthazus

@1, bullshit. Controls are good.

I finished game on the hardest difficulty without a problem.

you what, can’t customize the controls?

5. Keivz

Haven’t played DS2 but will have to pass. Too many other good games out and DS1 was overrated.

6. xxJPRACERxx

Already have both. Good games, prefer the 1st one.

7. TheWulf

Yep, the first was definitely the best. I absolutely dig the holographic Sci-Fi stylings of it, though. Very similar to Mass Effect, really, and I have no complaints. Artistically, the ME and DS Universes are right up there. I’d love to see more Sci-Fi artistically done, frankly. And less of the Gears of War approach. (Aesthetics matter, damn you Epic!)

Though Bulletstorm was also a hugely aesthetically appealing Sci-Fi game, and that wasn’t popular. The majority hated it. Fucking majority.

Maybe that’s a thing… maybe aesthetically pleasing things just don’t click with the majority. Again though, that’s a case to target things more at niche audiences with smaller budgets, thus resulting in greater hits. I’m just seeing this all the time. And yeah, I’m more than aware that DS wasn’t popular with a lot of people, especially people bitching about how bad the controls were.

(I played it on the PC with a pad, too, and I had no issues.)

But Dead Space really was special, it got action horror right. And the weapons were beautiful, because they were so unusual, they were tools rather than weapons, and they shot shapes and planes of damage rather than just your average lasers and bullets. But even just the visual design of them was exceptional.

Hell, the visual design of Dead Space was exceptional full stop.

There are some art directors I really would hug and/or shake the hands of, if I could. Amongst them are ArenaNet, the Mass Effect team, and the Dead Space team. Yes, art matters to me.