BioWare: SWTOR server mergers a possibility, concurrent users during peak time down

Tuesday, 24th April 2012 08:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Server mergers for Star Wars: The Old Republic are not entirely out of the question, BioWare’s Daniel Erickson has said.

In an interview with PC Gamer, Erickson admitted that the number of concurrent subs playing during peak times had decreased, but the subs number hadn’t actually gone down.

The reason for the low concurrent peak numbers is because of ‘light’ server populations, meaning the server mergers are a possibility, but not a priority as yet.

“Nothing is off the table when it comes to making sure our communities are strong and active on each server,” said Erickson, adding BioWare would do “anything and everything” to have players continue logging into the MMO.

Erickson promised that more variety in daily quests would become available following the recent Rakghoul plague outbreak event, adding he didn’t want SWTOR to not “just [be] a destination to see your friends but a place to log in just to see what’s new.”

1. JimFear-666

this is the reason i left swtor. I was tired to play on some planet with 10 ppl at 6pm. Its really ugly. Wow is better on that point.

2. orakaa

They REALLY should start merging servers. I am on a french server that is supposed to be “standard” in size, and I BARELY see more than 20 people connected at the same time per planet, 70 maximum on the Republic’s fleet (I also play an Imperial character but I didn’t pay attention to the population).

The problem is that, as soon as there are too many people, the game start lagging a lot. I think this is why they created the game in such a way that you are NEVER connected to many players.
    When you choose a server, you need to choose your side (Republic or Empire), which halves the potential number of people you’ll encounter, and then, you have several planets (by level range), which then cut the potential number of players you’ll encounter.
    In the end, this game REALLY feels like a great solo RPG… with the possibility to play with others from time to time.

I have been playing the game for 2-3 weeks now and I keep all the group quests as optional: when I’m “done” on a planet (did all the missions available), I drop the group quests I couldn’t do (as there were not enough people on the planet to find such a group).

3. GrimRita

I really love how these idiots play with words. Sub numbers havent gone down since when Daniel? Because as you know, EA gave 30 days free to players for a reason – to give the impression that the MMO is busy and healthy, when clearly its not.

The only way they can save this mess is by going F2P with additional content being paid for. If players login to an empty server, they simply wont stick around or recommend it to any of their friends.

PvP is already dead thanks to an out of touch development team and a long list of design flaws keep creating more and more problems. With Guild Wars 2 just around the corner, offering far more options than SWTOR ever will, this dated MMO should just face the facts its crap and be happy with very small numbers

4. _LarZen_

Server merge this early…dont sound good at all. They should just make it F2P as fast as possible.

5. GrimRita

They need to do something if this game is to continue. EA are very cut throat and could probably just cut their losses and close the thing down.

Server mergers were thrown out of the window because of the ‘complex’ legacy system. Making this F2P is probably the only option because right now, this game doesnt support any kind of cross server play, meaning that finding a group, pvp warzones to play, can take a very, very long time to happen.

6. viralshag

Too many servers with too small a population cap to start with. Since the beginning I never felt like the servers were as busy as they could be and in a game like this with no X-server PvP or LFG dungeon runs, that’s risky.

Like others have said, it just always felt empty other than the fleets. But really that’s the busiest place in most MMOs at any given time. But even these days the fleets feel somewhat empty.

I think in this day and age of MMOs you really need to come out all guns blazing and I just feel like they had maybe planned too far ahead in thinking this game will be around for “decades” rather than focusing on what to do in the first six months.

It will be lucky to see even half a decade at this rate. Personally, I don’t think they will recover and turn into a stand out MMO. Dated tech, ideas and mechanics. With projected figures of sub numbers around 4 million, you can’t help but think that EA are disappointed by the outcome so far.

7. GrimRita

I think EA were typical in their arrogant approach. They assumed that a combination of a Star Wars IP, Bioware and paid for review scores would make this a sure fire hit.

In stuns me how backward this game is in terms of its tech. The game is just so clunky. Considering that Rift uses the same game engine and offers a far smoother experience shows that Bioware devs didnt spend time(they only had six years) doing the same.

Rift even goes as far as offering the ability to upload videos to youtube in game, without any frame rate drop during the process, ranked/stats for pvp and of course x-server support.

Lots of people mocked Star Wars Galaxies and that lived on through so many self made mistakes(NGE) as a paid to play MMO that lasted eight years and was only closed down because of the agreement between LucasArts and EA to put all their efforts into this expensive outing.

8. viralshag

@7, If I had to defend it I would say the first 1-50 playthrough would review highly for me.

BUT, the time after hitting 50 and the experience of playing other same-faction toons is just a let down.

9. GrimRita

@9 – No doubt. The ‘story’ elements, outside of the Bounty Hunter and even the Jedi Consular were very good. But the quest to ding 50 was far too easy and ended quickly for most.

When/If Bioware raise the level cap, the majority of players would have gained around 500k(or it could be much higher) of ‘rest’ XP, giving them a bonus, so they will ding the next cap even quicker lol.

For the PvE crowd, who knows what the future holds but for the PvP guys, once GW2 is here, it will all be over for SWTOR pvp – its half way there now

10. Dokken

Mistake was made with less server ! so they raised the server pop and added more servers . Just because they are merging servers dont mean the game is declining . There was a decision made early that was clearly the wrong one . This game is by far the best game i ever played during my 15 years 20+ mmo career :)

11. Dokken

You have some people hitting every forum post in SWTOR and bashing it , don’t listen to them try the game yourself . Trust yourself not these FAN BOY HATERS of other Declining MMO’s

12. GrimRita

@ Dokken if this is the best MMO you have played, then you clearly have extremely low standards.

13. Talkar

I try not to listen to them but just look at post #12. You haven’t even addressed this guy, and yet he insults you on a personal level :/ Just seems weird to me.

14. Phoenixblight

ANd you must not have better things to do because if the words TOR is on an article you MUST make a comment.