CS:GO SDK to be released within three months of game’s launch

Friday, 20th April 2012 18:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Valve has said the SDK for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will be released within three months of the game’s initial release.

According to Gabe Newell, via Polygon, the firm plans to incorporate maps from Counter-Strike 1.6 which weren’t released in Counter-Strike Source.

“People have been playing various incarnations of Counter-Strike for a long time, and have super strong opinions on the subtleties of aiming and those kind of things, and our sense is we’ve done a pretty good job of taking the best of both 1.6 and Source and combining those to CS:GO,” said Newell said. “So unless the beta testers are blowing smoke up our ass, I think we’ve done that.

“Hopefully, it’s gonna help consolidate the two communities, that everybody will look at it and say, ‘Okay, this is the version of Counter-Strike I’ve been waiting for,’ but we’ll see. We do think though that is what it gives them: an up-to-date, current, rich-content version of the game that they’ve been playing.”

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ships for PC, Mac, 360 and PS3 this summer.

1. Maxey

Valve should know better than to try to please their hardcore CS fanbase.

Here’s a hint: THEY. ARE. NEVER. PLEASED.

2. Cloud King

By hardcore CS fanbase, do you mean fans of the most popular game on Steam?

3. Maxey

I believe you misunderstood my post.

I meant that whatever Valve does to CS, a big chunk of their fanbase will react with hostility to it because nothing short of not touching the game at all isn’t good enough for them.

4. Maxey

Anyway, I hope CSGO is the CS game that will finally get me into it, because no matter how much I try I simply cannot stick to the games long enough. Even if I play relatively well, it simply won’t grab me the way Day of Defeat or UT did.

5. Sadismek

@4 Try Team Fortress 2? You know, under the pile o’ hats, there is a suprisingly competitive and fun (and probably addictive :D) game.

6. Maxey

Been there, done that. I suck way too many balls at it, I’m actually a bit better at CS.